IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Term limit
The term limit idocy was from both parties. It was far more of an outsider pledging to only serve 2 terms, until of course he was voted in and had served 2 terms. At which point he suddenly realized the need for highly experienced people in Congress and for the good of the community would abandon his pledge. Both sides pulled that stunt.

The line item veto thing was pretty funny though. Watching Republicans that had voted for it assuming that Bush Sr. would get a second term suddenly finding reasons to object.

Jay
New There shouldn't be a need for line item veto
There should be a constitutional amendment put in place requiring each legislative act to be voted on >by itself<.

And end to pork barrel politics forever.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New You'd need one more thing:
All votes are "on the record."
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New Hear! Hear! To both of you!
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Aye!
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New I like the idea
I like the idea but it would be a hard one to put into action. The trick then becomes defining 'act' in way that can be enforced.

But heck, if the chance came up, I would support that. It can't be any worse then the current system.

Jay
New Its already the law in alot of states.
It makes the act of legislating simple and >easy for everyone to understand<

Thats why you'll never see it at the fed level.

Good old Sen Byrd from my homestate wouldn't get half his pork projects if he couldn't plug him into some completely unrelated bill.

New Sorry, must disagree.
I remember the term limits arguments quite well, and while I'm sure you can find Democrats who did in fact argue for it, the numbers paled in regards to the Republican that were for it (remember there was a Democrat controlled House and Senate at the time).

In fact, I seem to recall that it was Republicans that argued that term limits were unconstitutional (for US House and Senate seats).
New Re: Sorry, must disagree.
The original term-limiter IIRC was Rutherford Hayes (Republican), who argued for a one-time six-year Presidency.

Personally, I am not in favor of term limits. While it does rid us of rotten eggs, it also prevents a great person like Roosevelt from having a truly lasting impact on our version of democracy.
-drl
     Democrats run double filibuster - (JayMehaffey) - (27)
         Typical... - (jb4) - (9)
             Term limit - (JayMehaffey) - (8)
                 There shouldn't be a need for line item veto - (bepatient) - (5)
                     You'd need one more thing: - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         Hear! Hear! To both of you! -NT - (jb4)
                         Aye! -NT - (bepatient)
                     I like the idea - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                         Its already the law in alot of states. - (bepatient)
                 Sorry, must disagree. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                     Re: Sorry, must disagree. - (deSitter)
         Recess Appointments - (johnu) - (16)
             Federalist 67 - (Another Scott) - (15)
                 Re: Federalist 67 - (johnu) - (14)
                     Left of center? - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
                         Before Clinton, there was Reagan and - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             And before Reagan there was Johnson and Abe Fortas - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Yep, but Abe Fortas was tainted more than most. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Re: Left of center? - (johnu) - (9)
                             Didn't Bush give up the ABA rating and recommendation? - (Simon_Jester)
                             Re: Left of center? - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
                                 Re: Left of center? - (johnu) - (6)
                                     Interesting peice - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                                         The truth is somewhere in the middle - (johnu) - (4)
                                             Just calibrate your abscissa, is all.. - (Ashton)
                                             Re: The truth is somewhere in the middle - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                 ROTFLMAO -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                                                 Re: The truth is somewhere in the middle (new thread) - (deSitter)

It is, however, a surprise that he's not been beaten to death with his own stapler.
144 ms