IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: At issue...
More brilliant BushReich diplomacy:
The Bush administration is pursuing steps to punish France for opposing the United States on the war in Iraq, including the possibility of limiting French participation in American-sponsored meetings with European allies, senior officials said today.

The measures were discussed at a White House meeting on Monday of senior officials led by Stephen J. Hadley, the deputy national security adviser. Marc Grossman, the under secretary of state for political affairs, also attended, as did I. Lewis Libby and Eric Edelman, two influential hawks on the staff of Vice President Dick Cheney. Mr. Libby and Mr. Edelman were described by some administration officials as driving forces within the group.

The anger at France is so deeply felt within the administration that even Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, in an interview on Tuesday, warned that the country would be punished for taking on the United States. Asked on "The Charlie Rose Show" on PBS if France would suffer consequences, Mr. Powell bluntly replied, "Yes."
The White House's confrontational strategy, administration officials said, is intended to try to bludgeon France into more acquiescent behavior, or at least to make it clear that the Bush administration will now only cooperate with France when it is in the interest of the United States.
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/24/international/worldspecial/24FRAN.html|http://www.nytimes.c...ecial/24FRAN.html]

As von Rumsfeld is fond of saying, quoting Al Capone, "You can get more with a kind word and a gun [bludgeon?] than you can with a kind word alone." Perhaps he and the rest of the cabal in power might do well to ponder more of Capone's career: he was brought down, at the end, via finance. The euro ploy just might work. And if the junta continues spreading fear and enmity around at the present rate, these ingredients could provide a handy catalyst for the European integration of which bp is so sceptical.

A majority of the world's people are, at the least, suspicious of this country's motives. With every passing day this administration is suffered to remain encysted, more of them move from suspicion to outright hatred and fear. There will be consequences.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New William Safire, of course, sez it's all
France's fault. Find the URL for this drivel yourself, if you like, but the last line is hilarious:
in their hubristic drive for dominance in Europe, combined with their grubby grab for contracts, Chirac and his poodle Putin have severely damaged the United Nations.
Good thing the UN has us to look after it, eh?

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Re: At issue...
The euro ploy just might work. And if the junta continues spreading fear and enmity around at the present rate, these ingredients could provide a handy catalyst for the European integration of which bp is so sceptical.
Its not just me that is [link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1739389.stm|skeptical]. The most appropriate section:
In the long-term, however, the eurozone's prospects for growth are likely to be limited by "significant structural problems", says Mr Lind.

In particular, inflexible labour markets - which make it more expensive to employ and lay off people - have hampered production of goods.

In recent years, much production has shifted outside the eurozone from Germany to the Czech Republic and Hungary, where it is cheaper to employ workers, says the OEF's Mr Church.
Minor things like common language, citizenship issues still hamper the union. Just moving to Euro currency (a full decade after it was >supposed< to happen) is not enough to threaten the US economy. As the article that was above referenced indicated, currency markets are extremely liquid...shifting currecny from Euro to dollar and back is instantaneous and has little effect..and >if< the switch to Euro raises its value versus the dollar...that is a net >good< for our economy.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Perfidious Albion (hurrah!) - (rcareaga) - (26)
         What's it's ALL ABOUT - (deSitter) - (1)
             Yuan. - (inthane-chan)
         Did you notice who started the escape from dollar? - (Arkadiy) - (14)
             Think Nixon, Gold Standard Abandonment, OPEC Crisis of '73 - (deSitter) - (12)
                 Re: Think Nixon, Gold Standard Abandonment, OPEC Crisis of ' - (cybermace5) - (11)
                     The cheerleader syndrome. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         We're number *zero!* -NT - (cybermace5)
                     This just in - (rcareaga) - (8)
                         LMAO... - (screamer) - (7)
                             Re: LMAO... - (rcareaga) - (6)
                                 At issue... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                     Well.. maybe the latter. For a time. - (Ashton)
                                     Re: At issue... - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                         William Safire, of course, sez it's all - (rcareaga)
                                         Re: At issue... - (bepatient)
                                 Many points of agreement - (screamer)
             A good read. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Perhaps that would be best - (boxley)
         Ahhh.. Voodoo Econ - Internationale - (Ashton) - (7)
             easier to rename the protocols of the elders of zion - (boxley) - (6)
                 Your obsession... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     just because I am obsessed doesnt mean I am wrong - (boxley) - (4)
                         And my source was... - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             I was pointing out Ash's innocence - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Yeah, that's me - the Virgin Virago -NT - (Ashton)
                             Re: And my source was... - (rcareaga)

People don't pay that kind of money to walk around sober.
151 ms