IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ozzie doesn't look much better ;-)
At least the Wings knew to toss him off. With St. Louis up 3-1 a friend of mine (who knows that there are two teams in all of the NHL for me, 1. Toronto 2. Detroit) came up to me and said, "Hey, maybe the Wings should have kept Ozzie and not gone after Cujo." My reply then was, "Never underestimate Ozzie's ability to fold." Looks like I'm gonna be right (again).

Gotta go w/lister on this. Cujo was not at his best, but his numbers weren't that bad - certainly not bad enough to have been swept. It's gonna be tough for him in Detroit and that's a pity. The average fan up there's gonna say, "Hey, it was the same team as last year with two exceptions: coach and goalie."

Still, the one thing that always bothered me about Cujo is that it always seemed that he would win when he was supposed to lose and lose when he was supposed to win. I will always believe he kept my Leafs out of the Finals by losing to Carolina. He was supposed to win that series and true to his form, he didn't.

I hate to see thugs get through the playoffs. I don't know which one is the dirtiest, New Jersey or Philadelphia. (Of course, honorable mention has to go to any team with Chris Pronger on it - the dirtiest player in hockey). Am hoping for back-to-back miracles Monday and Tuesday night.

Of course, there would be some poetic justice in a Ducks-Bolts final: this has been one fscked up year.

bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Blues have the stomach bug
They weren't even in Game 5 or 2 periods of 6. Finally got their legs back in the 3rd today, but they still looked seriously gassed at the end. No Mellanby, no Rucinsky, really no Tkachuk for the last 2 games - no defense without MacInnis and with Stillman and Khavanov barfing. We were so short of defense, Khavanov tried to mix shifts with locker room barf visits.

That's why it's good to have a 3-1 lead :) So now it's 3-3.

-drl

(Dm - 2Am)(Rmn + 1/2gmn R + 1/2Fmn) = 0
New Gut check time now
Coming back from a 3-1 deficit and playing game seven at home. The Blues look to be in mighty tough against the Canucks next game. One thing really annoying to see is the running of Cloutier by the Blues. While I'm all for goalies taking some shots who stray too far and behave like a third defenceman, when the goalie is just doing his job in the paint, running him is dirty pool. Assuming the NHL doesn't want the other team to retaliate, one solution may be to give the offending team a double minor. At the same time, goalies should be given unsportmanlike conduct or delay of game penalties for embelishing contact they receive. Hasek was famous for looking like he'd been shot for even just a hair touching him.

Speaking of gut check time, that's what the Leafs will be doing tonight and hopefully tomorrow. If they don't win there won't be any more hockey watching for me, other than on Saturday nights, until the Stanley cup finals when they're broadcasted in HD.

Lastly I'd just like to say what a moronic bonehead the ABC executive is that scheduled a 3:00pm hockey game on a Saturday. It was a nice spring day outside and I'm stuck inside watching hockey. Um hello?! There's a reason why games are usually played at night. Who wants to waste a perfectly nice afternoon stuck inside at a stadium or at home?! Baseball I can understand as most stadiums are open air or have retractable lids. CBC really needs to find a way to stand up to ABC and the NHL more and stop this ridiculous scheduling.

And I had a hard time believing that there were 20,000 fans in Tampa two games ago. I wonder how many were Canadians?
lister
New Re: Gut check time now
The Blues offense has been a hell of a lot better since they started making a lot of noise in front of the net. They play aggressively but not dirty - I don't cotton to that either and I would not support them - Q is one of the straightest arrows in sports. That big collision with Cloutier was not deliberate.

Some tenders I *would* run! Remember Billy Smith with his ankle and calf chops?

The 3:00PM Saturday games are nice here in May, when it gets into the mid 80s and you can sit out on a deck somewhere with your buds watching the game.
-drl

(Dm - 2Am)(Rmn - 1/2gmn R + 1/2Fmn) = 0
New I don't know about that!
CBC ran the highlights of the run-ins on Cloutier and they hardly seem accidental. It's pretty obvious to spot the difference between a deliberate run-in, being taken in by a defender and trying one's best to avoid a collision but ultimately failing. I'm not saying it was a deliberate plan set out by the coaches but it is pretty blatant what some of the Blues players are doing.

Billy Smith was fun along with Hextall. One of Hextall's best outbursts was when he left the crease for the corner where Chelios was (back in his Habs days) and just decked him with his goal stick. While I don't think goalies should just hack away at players in front of their net for no reason, I do think they have some justification when they're being nudged, touched and sticked by those parking themselves in front of the net or chopping at their gloves after they cover the puck.

Nah. I'd rather being doing something else outside than watch a sporting event. None of us have decks nor TVs that can be carted out onto them. Night games work very well up here and are preferred.
lister
New Agree. Night games are better.
If it weren't for VCR's I'd be a poor father indeed.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

New every 3rd car around here has Ont or Que plates
here more french in the stores here than in sakatchewan :-)
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Carpe Dieu
New That's the secret plan!
English Canada is trying to ship down as many Quebecer's as possible. Especially the old ones draining our health care system.

"Sorry we can't let you back in. Enjoy Florida!" :-p
lister
New Cujo is a better goalie than Osgood
No doubt about that. Sure Osgood has won one or more Cups with them but he had a team in front of him that *wanted* to win, not to mention a Hall of Fame coach behind the bench. You could have put any normal good goalie in there and the result would be the same. This year the Wings just didn't show up like in previous years and they didn't rise to the challenge of a hot goaltender. I think most people would take Cujo over Osgood any day. The biggest problem with Cujo is when he has a bad game sometimes it can become a funk which takes a while for him to get out of. It also doesn't help when the players in front of him doesn't help him out defensively during that time.

Joseph is the calibre of goalie that should rank up there with Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Brodeur, etc. His one step down from them is that he hasn't won the Cup yet. That being said I still don't like Hasek or Belfour. :-)
lister
New You better be pulling for Eddie tonight!
My 10 year old is a Wings fan, my 12 year old is a Leafs fan. When Cujo's trade happened there was pandamonium in my house. The 10 year old was telling the 12 year old, "Now that Cujo's with a real team, he'll win the Cup!" My 12 year old responded, "I hope its a Wings/Leafs final this year. It'll serve Cujo right to lose his chance at the Cup to the Leafs."

Now, of course, the 10 year old is saying, "Why did you guys give us this shlock? Take him back, please!" The 12 year old is gleeful. I don't encourage this sort of thing and try to stop it when it comes up, but I'm guessing Cujo's in for a rough ride in the press in Detroit as bad as the "Jo-Sieve" article last year in Toronto.

He is a great goalie, no question, but you'll have to admit, sometimes he doesn't show up. And he's more prone to let an easy one (or two) in than Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, et. al.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Kind of have to or else the hockey season is over
It's unfortauntely one of those necessary evils having to cheer for Belfour. *sigh* It could be worse, the Leafs could have had Hasek instead. *shiver*

Without a shadow of a doubt I'd rather have Roy or Brodeur over Cujo. When it comes to the likes of Hasek or Belfour then things get debateable since I really can't stand the two. Belfour though has surprised me this season. He did much better than I thought both performance-wise and personality-wise.

If I was a Detroit fan, I wouldn't be pointing my finger entirely at Joseph. Look at his numbers in the series. Those kinds of numbers usually means a series win. Even if Joseph put up doughnuts, the players still need to score to win. As far as I'm concerned the blame mostly falls on the coach and the players in front of Joseph.

Just like with the Leafs if they fail tonight or tomorrow, the blame should not fall entirely on Belfour even though he let in some softies. The Leafs have failed to shoot the puck and get the $%^&*@#$% in front of Chokmanic. I get so tired of yelling "GET OUT IN FRONT!!!" when the Leafs are in the offensive zone. AAAAAAHHHHH!!
lister
New You are prophetic.
I'm on pins and needles for tonight (Tuesday). Man, Monday night was some of the best hockey I have ever seen. Edge of the seat almost constantly. I hope they continue to get in front of Chockmaniac, and keep those hits coming - NOBODY deserves to be knocked near-unconscious more than any Flyer.

Wasn't it Pat Quinn who said, "You could call a penalty on Philadelphia every time they go down ice."?

Or words to that effect. I hope they send the thugs to the golf course early this year.

bcnu,
Mikem

New Osgood so I have an excuse for a st louis run
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Carpe Dieu
New You have access to playoff tickets?
Got any for Toronto? :-)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Probably just Tampa Bay tickets
Forget about trying to get Toronto tickets. Each series gets sold out in mere single digit minutes. After that you're at the mercy of a scalper, whether the business or street kind. If you've got the money to blow though it is a fantastic atmosphere to watch a game in. The only playoff games I've been at was back during the '92-'93 playoff run. Saw a Detroit game and the last game against LA (damn Kerry Fraser!!!!) Man, MLG sure was loud.

Actually what's pretty sad is that Senators playoff tickets have been available beyond the initial first release.
lister
New Hey lister, you in Toronto?
I've got a standing promise to take my daughters to 1 NHL game of their chosing each. That means an annual trip to the Joe and usually one trip to the United Center (when the Leafs come) since I can never, ever get tickets to a home Leafs game. I've tried for 2 years and I want 'em before I head north. What's the secret to getting good ($100-$150/seat range) tickets to a home Leafs game?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Yep I'm here in Hogtown (sorry didn't notice your post)
There are three ways of getting Leaf tickets:

1) Be waiting at ticketmaster.ca when regular season tickets are made available

2) Know someone who has tickets

3) Buy from a scalper business or person

The easiest but most costliest option is number three. You're usually looking at paying 1.5 to 2 times the face value for the tickets. One place I used this past season is ticketcentre.com. Call them up, pay by credit card and they'll courier the tickets wherever you like. Expensive but you'll be able to get tickets when you want them. There's always eBay as well.

If you're going to try option one make sure you find out when tickets are made available. They're gone in mere minutes especially anything greater than singles.
lister
New No worries.
I've been trying option 1 without success - they are gone before I can get a connection. One thing you didn't mention is a box office at the barn itself. There's how bad I've got it, I'd actually make a trip to Toronto just to buy tickets for a later date ;-)

Is that possible and more/less likely to get good seats?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Buying tickets in person
You better come the day the regular season tickets go on sale. Come early and be prepared to wait in line. I can't remember exactly how that worked. Someone may have mentioned it in the Leafs newsgroup. You may want to do some searching through there. There may have been some sort of pre-sales lineup ahead of time which xxx number of people got the priviledge to purchase tickets and then came the real lineup at some later date. Or maybe some sort of lottery. My mind is fuzzy now. I don't have the patience for stuff like that so I never really pay attention to the opening ticket sales thing. I just pay extra buying from a scalper. Evil yes but time is money. :-)
lister
New Re: Buying tickets in person
I had a coworker who was on the waiting list for Green Bay Packers season tix. She was something like 27,000th in line!!!

But it gets worse. The only way to get Chicago Bears season tix is to inherit them.
-drl

Light is heavy:
R{} = (2R/W)T - (1/2W){D-2,D-2}W

Heavy is light:
(D-3)(RF[] + 5/4 g) = 0
New That's like getting seasons tickets here
There's like a loooooong list of people waiting for them (I've read something like 20 year wait) and practically the only way to get them is through inheritence. Crazy stuff considering how expensive tickets can be.
lister
New 56 years for Bucs Season Tickets

Carpe Dieu
New When did that happen though?
After they won the Super Bowl? :-) I'm not a NFL fan but I do know the Bucs sucked hard for a long, long time.
lister
New nope, just an excuse to get pissed with Doc
could get local playoff tickets, The sell outs are still mostly corporate giveaways.
thanx,
bill

Carpe Dieu
New Well, fingers crossed there, buddy
-drl

Light is heavy:

Heavy is light:
(D-3)(RF[] + 5/4 g) = 0
New Saving my flames
..for Wednesday :)

Our problem has not been Osgood - it's sloppy play in our own zone, stupid Pronger stick tricks, and the annual Tkachuk "Hey it's the playoffs! Now I can quit!" routine.
-drl

Light is heavy:

Heavy is light:
(D-3)(RF[] + 5/4 g) = 0
     Dead Things Go Home! - (Yendor) - (30)
         Re: Dead Things Go Home! - (deSitter) - (29)
             Well it doesn't help when the Wings don't score - (lister) - (2)
                 Re: Well it doesn't help when the Wings don't score - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     it's wild, it's hockey History - (jbrabeck)
             Ozzie doesn't look much better ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                 Blues have the stomach bug - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Gut check time now - (lister) - (5)
                         Re: Gut check time now - (deSitter) - (2)
                             I don't know about that! - (lister) - (1)
                                 Agree. Night games are better. - (mmoffitt)
                         every 3rd car around here has Ont or Que plates - (boxley) - (1)
                             That's the secret plan! - (lister)
                 Cujo is a better goalie than Osgood - (lister) - (17)
                     You better be pulling for Eddie tonight! - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Kind of have to or else the hockey season is over - (lister) - (1)
                             You are prophetic. - (mmoffitt)
                     Osgood so I have an excuse for a st louis run -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                         You have access to playoff tickets? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                             Probably just Tampa Bay tickets - (lister) - (8)
                                 Hey lister, you in Toronto? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                     Yep I'm here in Hogtown (sorry didn't notice your post) - (lister) - (6)
                                         No worries. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             Buying tickets in person - (lister) - (4)
                                                 Re: Buying tickets in person - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                     That's like getting seasons tickets here - (lister)
                                                     56 years for Bucs Season Tickets -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         When did that happen though? - (lister)
                             nope, just an excuse to get pissed with Doc - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Well, fingers crossed there, buddy -NT - (deSitter)
                     Saving my flames - (deSitter)

A few lettuce pieces short of a salad.
88 ms