IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's XP Pro
Microsoft says XP stands for "Xperienced", but we in the industry know it stands for "eXtra Pain", and sometimes for "eXtreme Pain". XP Home Edition and XP Professional are pretty much identical except XP Home has some networking features crippled and some extra consumer stuff.

We've been successful using XP Home on networks with Samba servers, but I understand it's incompatible with Windows domain controllers and definitely with Active Directory (I don't know if it can be made to work with NetWare).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: That's XP Pro
Microsoft says XP stands for "Xperienced", but we in the industry know it stands for "eXtra Pain", and sometimes for "eXtreme Pain". XP Home Edition and XP Professional are pretty much identical except XP Home has some networking features crippled and some extra consumer stuff.

Hmmm well we don't network, or at least never have. John said that XP Pro, you say? Sorry I had it wrong. He said XP Pro is more stable and better than the home version and he doesn't want the home version.

I'm just thinking to myself... YIKES! Owls have to learn another new version?

We've been successful using XP Home on networks with Samba servers, but I understand it's incompatible with Windows domain controllers and definitely with Active Directory (I don't know if it can be made to work with NetWare).

What is a Windows Domain controller and Active Directory? Sorry, owls are also clueless sometimes. And I don't know what Netware is either.

We're just trying to figure out what if anything from Andrei will not work on XP Pro.

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Answers
A small, single server network generally has no domain controller, because users need to log in only to their workstation, and the server will be set up the same login name and password for them, so access to the server will be transparent.

On larger networks with multiple servers (and most Windows networks have multiple servers because Microsoft server applications don't necessarily get along with each other real well) it becomes a hassle setting up user accounts on each and every server, so one server is assigned to be the Primary Domain Controller, and one or more others will be backup domain controllers in case the primary one fails. Login accounts are entered only on the Primary Domain Controller, which propegates them to the backups.

The users log into the network through the Domain Controller and have access to all the servers according to their rights. It can be set up so they can't even access the workstation desktop if they don't have a domain account.

Active Directory is the successor to Domain Controllers, which were hard to synchronize among sites in a far flung enterprise. Windows 2000 Server can't be a Domain Controller, it must use Active Directory, which is why so many companies won't abandon their NT 4.0 servers. Active Directory is generally equivalent to a really bad case of hemorrhoids. It is geared to very large multi-site networks, but forced on even the smallest W2K network to maintain incompatibility and fight Novell Directory Services (which actually work). The AD installation Wizzard doesn't work right, either.

Windows XP Home is crippled so it can't log on to a network with a domain controller or an Active Directory network. This is so business has to spend another $50 per workstation for the exact same thing but without the cripple.

Novell NetWare used to have a near monopoly on networking in businesses too small to use SNA or DECNet. As a monopoly will, Novell became fat, happy and forgot how to compete. Microsoft pushed them out with a far inferior network (Microsoft Networking is just IBM's old PCNet with a hundered layers of patches, bandaids and bailing wire over it), superior marketing and sabotage. NetWare is still used fairly widely, especially in networks where security is a real concern.
     Andrei, Plan B- Converting from Win 98 to Win XP Business - (Nightowl) - (38)
         That's XP Pro - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Re: That's XP Pro - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Answers - (Andrew Grygus)
         Sorry, cain't he'p myse'f - (jb4) - (3)
             Editor Holy Wars - (jake123) - (2)
                 As the saying goes... - (folkert) - (1)
                     What can I say? - (jake123)
         Best thing to do - (orion) - (1)
             Re: Best thing to do - (Nightowl)
         Suggestions if I may - (kmself) - (26)
             Reconmendations - (orion)
             You forgot one - (jake123) - (2)
                 OS/2 eCS - (orion) - (1)
                     Pricing - (jake123)
             Re: Suggestions if I may - (Nightowl) - (21)
                 Social norms - (kmself) - (20)
                     Re: Social norms - (Nightowl) - (18)
                         Re: Social norms - (admin) - (2)
                             Re: Social norms - (Nightowl)
                             I am with you Scott... - (folkert)
                         LRPD: Little red plasma dot - (kmself) - (8)
                             Re: LRPD: Little red plasma dot - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                 The quotes sorta needed a name. - (static) - (6)
                                     Sort of like a "Fortune Cookie" program - (orion) - (5)
                                         Yes. - (static) - (4)
                                             ObLRPD - (kmself) - (2)
                                                 :-) ObLRPD: I don't get no respect! - (static)
                                                 Well aisle be. - (Silverlock)
                                             ObLRPD: Thanks for noticing. -NT - (admin)
                         Social Norms . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             Re: Social Norms . . - (Nightowl)
                             And he singeth to the Chior... AhhhhhMEN! -NT - (folkert)
                             On the magic man, - (boxley)
                             Stripping parts is the best way to fix a problem - (orion) - (1)
                                 There is a point of... - (folkert)
                     :) So true -NT - (boxley)
         Before you upgrade - (orion) - (1)
             NIKOLAI IS HERE! ( was Re: Before you upgrade) (new thread) - (Nightowl)

One may hardly be found in a handbag in the railway station unless one has been lost in a handbag in the railway station.
81 ms