IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay, I slipped on Egypt.
But I still don't know that I agree with giving them money.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Re: What you said does have merit -just wrong time to say it

I think emotion and pain are going to blot out rational observance. But yes, one can look at history and see some horrific political decisions that were made by successive US govts, but in mitigation, while there is international disagreement & conflict it doesn't matter what choices govts make, they will always be open to criticism and folly in choice.

Sadly the US did get involved in fighting proxy wars but to argue the rights & wrongs of this, is an endless debate that takes one in never ending circles of logic, all fuelled by a strong desire on the part of big governments & entities to endure, sometimes at any cost.

But don't be disheartened by the reaction to your points - they are quite valid.

Cheers

Doug
New Some times the best time to examine one's own actions...
...is in the depth of tragedy. If we only blame others for our wounds, and expurge our own complicity, then we cannot hope to learn hard lessons.

If we can learn from the wrongs of our past, I hope we can turn things around and not repeat these mistakes again in this next century. Given human nature, I somehow doubt it.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New The story may read different if the Soviets had won
>> I think emotion and pain are going to blot out rational observance. But yes, one can look at history and see some horrific political decisions that were made by successive US govts, but in mitigation, while there is international disagreement & conflict it doesn't matter what choices govts make, they will always be open to criticism and folly in choice. <<

Agreed. There will always be struggles, and the best[1] course of action today may indeed lead to future problems. But, nobody knows until they get there.

[1] And mistakes were indeed made. That is a side-effect of having humans run the gov.
             Re: What now? - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                 We don't give money to Egypt for oil. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     Okay, I slipped on Egypt. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Re: What you said does have merit -just wrong time to say it - (dmarker2) - (2)
                             Some times the best time to examine one's own actions... - (inthane-chan)
                             The story may read different if the Soviets had won - (tablizer)
                     Foreign aid in general - (wharris2)
         Or is it the weeds? - (addison)
         An interesting topic... - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
             That is the real tragedy. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 Personally, I think we should make a deal with the Russians. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     How about joint mission from their airfields? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Well, sure, I considered that too - - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Alliances - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                         ROFL! - (inthane-chan)
         Sane words, appropriate to the occasion - (Ashton)

We're talking "filled with angry bees" levels of agony.
70 ms