IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Think of parole...
When someone is out on parole, they're "free" but under restrictions.

It doesn't take ANYWHERE NEAR the effort required to convict someone to revoke their parole.

That's what I see as a big difference here. Before, they had to be convicted. Well, they have.

Now they're paroled... and if they are caught doing anything that they've been convicted for, under conduct remedies, there's no need to have a trial, its a matter of slapping them down, immediately.

There's really nowhere for them to *appeal* to, so they can waste their money on lawyers, and attempt, but I suspect they're only going to get 3 chances at that before the judge starts fining them/making them pay for the government lawyers. :)

Threaten 'em with decrees and judgements? (That's how we got here.)

Prior to this was a voluntary consent decree, that they government claimed that they had broken.

Now they're a convicted monopolist - the bar just lowered a LOT for remedies.

Addison
New If?
"... and if they are caught doing anything that they've been convicted for, under conduct remedies, there's no need to have a trial, its a matter of slapping them down, immediately."

Tying is out, apparently. So, there go the claims about the Windows Media Player inclusion in XP, the IM in XP, etc. being an illegal leveraging of the OS monopoly to thwart QuickTime, RealMedia, AOL/IM, etc.

And what real penalty has M$ ever suffered? I submit that even under your terms, Microsoft would be able to use its vast stores of $ to drag through the courts until the issue is moot (as it successfully did in running Netscape out of business). It doesn't take much imagination to see what happened to Netscape happening to Real, QTime, game companies for the X-box, etc.

New Maybe.
I don't know what the DoJ/States are thinking, here.

Tying is out, apparently. So, there go the claims about the Windows Media Player inclusion in XP, the IM in XP, etc. being an illegal leveraging of the OS monopoly to thwart QuickTime, RealMedia, AOL/IM, etc.

Apparently that's tying of the browser.

I think they want to reopen the case of the other issues, how that will play, I don't know.

I submit that even under your terms, Microsoft would be able to use its vast stores of $ to drag through the courts until the issue is moot (as it successfully did in running Netscape out of business).

But its not my terms, there.

You've got to have legal standing to press a case. If they're under conduct remedies, and they're found to have violated them - then there's not much they can do about it. There's no epic battle to the Supreme Court, etc.. because the upper courts won't take it.

Addison
New Add...
you're talking about paroling someone who hasn't been sentenced yet. It's too soon.
New No. I'm talking about the difference between then and now.
Because THEN, after the sentance/conduct remedy - the burden of proof is nowhere as high as it was to GET to this point.

The general thought is "look at what it took to get here, its going to be more of the same" - and that's not the case, at least potentially.

Because THEN, they've *been sentanced*. That's the point. Before now, they weren't.

Then and now. And Then will be now, soooon.

Addison
     Bloomberg: US won't seek breakup, drops tying claim. - (Another Scott) - (19)
         Figures... - (Simon_Jester) - (10)
             Ya know... - (addison) - (9)
                 Yeah, right. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Re: Yeah, right. - (addison) - (1)
                         You're more optimistic than I am. - (mmoffitt)
                 yeah, but... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                     Think of parole... - (addison) - (4)
                         If? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Maybe. - (addison)
                         Add... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             No. I'm talking about the difference between then and now. - (addison)
         No matter... - (Yendor) - (5)
             States joined DOJ in statement. Propose Jackson's remedies. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Good remedies. - (admin)
                 That covers the two worst problems - (drewk)
                 As to just boot loader provisions - (Ashton)
             Going for speed - (Silverlock)
         Don't know how much difference it makes - (wharris2)
         This isn't new - (warmachine)

Goose-bumps for any who Know.
48 ms