IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Actually quite arguable
Even if we make the assumption that by citizens you mean everybody that lives in that territory, it's still arguable if the US really passes.

On point one, we sorta make the grade right now, but are activly breaking down as we speak. The rich, politically connected and companies all have more rights then the general population and the situation is getting worse.

On point two, we can pass only if you go for a narrow definition of basic rights. If you take things like the right to shelter, food, and such to be basic rights then we fail.

As for point three, we will find out if that part of the system still works in a few years.

And personally, I would also add a free press to the list of key ingredients. Without a free press the people won't know enough to have any idea who they should be supporting. In that regards the US is still fairly good but media mergers and rating wars are activly eroding it also.

Jay
New right to shelter food?
There is and should not be a right to shelter and food. If you are hungry get food, you want to sleep inside get shelter. If you cannot provide it for yourself do not expect the collective to assist you. Me, if I need it I take it.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Re: right to shelter food?
Actually I think claiming either of those things goes to far also. What I was trying to point out tought, is that what is and what is not a basic right is a complex and open question.

Take the right to bear arms, the right to have privacy, the right to live without government interference, or the right to medical care. There are lots of things that people claim as rights or claim are not rights. Why some and not others?

The way you put the question made it seem that you where taking the rights we have in the US as being the basic rights, making the statement that the US meets those requirments a bit of circular logic. If you want to judge if the US meets the requirements of supporting basic rights, you need to better define what they are.

Jay
New As defined by the bill of rights and ammendments to the
constitution. In America anyway. Any rights not implicitly granted by the feds or the states are held by the people. However the crux comes when rights held by the people(individually) are requested by preassure groups to be paid for collectively by the government. This is where all social conflict in America comes from.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
     What constitutes legitimacy of a political regime? - (marlowe) - (19)
         Wrong on all counts - (boxley) - (5)
             Full Agreement - (deSitter)
             Recognition by which others? - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Well present your list of legitimate governments - (boxley) - (2)
                     Peer review has a similar problem. - (marlowe) - (1)
                         of course reality is not a democracy, that is why Saddam is - (boxley)
         You are a result of public education at its finest. - (Brandioch) - (6)
             I think he is a highschool history teacher :-) -NT - (boxley)
             legitimate regimes - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 the amrican citizens in this forum were not all born ins - (boxley) - (2)
                     At least 3. You, Arkadiy, and me. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Re: At least 3. You, Arkadiy, and me. - (rcareaga)
                 Who needs drug testing, - (Arkadiy)
         Actually quite arguable - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             right to shelter food? - (boxley) - (2)
                 Re: right to shelter food? - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     As defined by the bill of rights and ammendments to the - (boxley)
         Definition divorced from purpose, again? - (tseliot)
         How about democratically elected leaders? Oops... - (mmoffitt)

Damn! Bloody %^@&^@ anal-retentive Geo Booleishness!
55 ms