IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I tend to agree that Sun went off the rails re Java ...

Self originally joined the Java Lobby board & fought tooth & nail against MS blatant attempts to carry out Bill's stated strategy of "cut off their air supply".

In time there was a growing concern that Sun thought they had the means to take control of the Java/Desktop - IBM had stepped in in 1995/6 and done a comprehensive deal with Sun that allowed IBM to use Java with zero license fee if IBM contributed large portions of technology & effort to boost Java as a viable Internet technology.

IBM contributed more than 50% of Java - the Internationalization, serialization, Enterprise Java Beans - a massive infusion. Part of the understanding with Sun was that Java would then be handed over to a standards committee - once Java had taken hold, Sun backed out & then tried to force IBM to take a license for a 'new' Java Java2 (with Swing) but IBM had a good set of lawyers who stood up to Sun on the use of core Java & Sun backed down. But IBM was did drop the Sun proprietary Swing GUI widgets in favour of a competing set.

IBM then played out a counter strategy that was largely responsible for kicking the feet out from under Sun (Sun's shares are now at a multi-year low). That strategy (also amied at Microsoft) was for IBM to back Linux & to put its money where its mouth is by implementing Linux accross all platforms & fully promoting it as well as porting all key IBM software to Linux. Sales of Solaris slumped & are unlikely to recover. Sun got painted into a corner & is struggling to find a way out.

Anyway - self was a big Sun supporter up until they 'weakened' Java with their antics. Actually wrote several Java articles for them (some still on their website). Despite what has happened I fully applaud the judges decision & hope it is made to stick.

Cheers

Doug Marker

New Don't look for it to stick.
M$ has the money, and the time to tie this up in the courts until they find friendlies on the bench. And by then it'll be too late, ... again.

God, I hate this industry.

bcnu,
Mikem

who is still cursing the day he ever thought computers were "neat".
New ..that $%^&__ Adam Osborne__:(
     Microsoft ordered to ship more shitty software - (tuberculosis) - (12)
         Actually, the SHOULDN'T be allowed to ship what they want - (jb4) - (10)
             Badly phrased - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 Windows is an operating system (well, sorta)... - (jb4)
                 Happens all the time - look up "essential facility" -NT - (ben_tilly)
             And you can bet SUN had help in hurting Java. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 No' me... - (jb4)
                 They didn't need any help - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                     They could have pulled it off, imo. - (mmoffitt)
                     I tend to agree that Sun went off the rails re Java ... - (dmarker) - (2)
                         Don't look for it to stick. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             ..that $%^&__ Adam Osborne__:( -NT - (Ashton)
         My take - (drewk)