IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Got it
New batch last night, two loaves, perfect. Olive-rosmary whole wheat (half-half whole/unbleached).

Part of the problem was my omitting the 2 Tbsp of molassas and not making up the sugar content elsewhere. I think I was starving the yeast. Added an extra 2 Tbsp sugar to the mix and got it right, may try honey as well.

45 minutes with a hot start (preheat oven to 450, drop to 375 for baking) seemed to get the right mix of good crust and tender, but cooked, interior. No more wet spot ;-)

Tried also a mix of baking utensils: the Pyrex dish and a breadpan. Results appear largely identical for both, so I don't think that makes a difference.

Also double-checked stove temp accuracy, it appears to be dead on.

Talked with Addison last night about the BSS phenomenon, am thinking of a sourdough whole wheat walnut olive honey oat loaf next ;-)
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Syndrome phenomenon?
New All Right!
You've got it figured out. You've got to feed the yeast, alright. And if you use salt, you need to use more yeast to get an equivalent rise.

I've worn out two baking machines, myself. I've made all the permutations of mistakes, including forgetting to put in the water! That's not one you are likely to make with the manual approach.

As great as the bread tastes, the "shelf life" just isn't there compared to commercial bread. The wife is still on the Atkins diet, so I can't dispatch the bread quick enough on my own.
Alex

Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.
-- Anne Frank
New Quit holding out already.
What's the recipe?

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Bread Recipie
3 Tbsp fast-acting dry yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cups H2O, 105-120F

Combine above, let stand up through 15 minutes.

3 cups unbleached white flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk
2 Tbsp butter/margerine, melted
1/2 tin (8oz) chopped olives
2-3 Tbsp rosemary

Combine (mostly) dry ingredients above in large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast & water slowly. Mix with cooking spoon to point of no further luck. Dump on floured board and kneed ten minutes. I keep an extra 1/2 cup flour, and some water, on hand to even out the moisture of the dough, this varies highly with weather conditions.

Put back in mixing bowl, cover (I use a dampened dishtowel), and let rise 1 hour in a warm place (I use the oven).

Punch down, kneed another minute or so, roll out, shape to loaf, and put in well-greased cooking pan. I sprinkle pan bottom with corn flour.

Let rise another hour.

Preheat oven to 450F. Brush bread with salted water (2 Tbsp to 1 cup), place bread low and center, lower temperature to 375 (this gives a slightly crustier loaf). Bake 40-45 minutes.

Remove from oven and remove loaves from baking pan. Let stand or eat hot ;-)
--

New Thanks. Sounds great.
New Yum! Must be a 3 lb. loaf! Feeding an Army?
Alex

-- Anne Frank
New Loafer
If an army travels on its stomach, I can cover a lot of ground ;-)

I'm kinda into the "massive and dense" school of breadmaking (as well as some other things, or so I'm told). Yeah, that's a pretty hefty loaf. Actually, I got two of them out of this batch, both slightly slimmer than I'd hoped for.

I've started the first sourdough batch. Starter's quite active, keeps overflowing the starter jar I have for it after I fed it (silly me thought 3/4 cup milk & flour wasn't quite enough, rounded up to a full cup). It's yeast starter, BTW, want to try a batch w/ yoghurt later.
--

New Re: Loafer
Well, I've saved your recipe and will try it out when I get back from vacation. I've made a variety of breads, but never made bread with olives. It's intriguing. The first time, I'll try to half the recipe.
Alex

-- Anne Frank
New Recipie was doubled
The original recipe was for half what I'd baked. Halving should go fine.
--

New throw some stale heineken into the sourdough
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Woohoo!
Now, for the topper.

Go out and get some extra virgin olive oil. Dump it all into a sauce pan, toss it on the stove on the lowest heat setting your stove's got.

Dump in a bunch of garlic cloves. 10-12 should suffice. Also a bunch of fresh rosemary.

Heat and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes. Don't boil it, but you want to get the flavor out of the spices.

Remove from heat, remove the spices, and bottle.

After it's cool, toss some oil on a plate, then pour balsamic vinegar into the mix.

Take fresh bread, break it up, and dip into your concoction.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Stop it, I'm drooling! :)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     Need some help makin' bread - (kmself) - (31)
         HOWTO-bread-makin.txt - (static) - (4)
             Blasphemer! -NT - (kmself) - (1)
                 Oh well in that case... - (static)
             Now that's my kinda guy! -NT - (wharris2) - (1)
                 My parents have a bread machine. :-) -NT - (static)
         Google, my friend, Google. - (Steve Lowe)
         Measure carefully. Longer/Cooler oven. Different pan. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Dough! (apologies to Groening) - (kmself)
         knead more time. at least 10 minutes -NT - (boxley)
         Post some over to us when you get it right, won't you :-) -NT - (Meerkat)
         A couple of things.... - (hnick)
         RTFM. - (addison)
         hie thee to a book seller - (cforde)
         I will assume that... - (bepatient)
         Prepackaged stuff - (wharris2)
         Got it - (kmself) - (12)
             Syndrome phenomenon? -NT - (addison)
             All Right! - (a6l6e6x)
             Quit holding out already. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 Bread Recipie - (kmself) - (6)
                     Thanks. Sounds great. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Yum! Must be a 3 lb. loaf! Feeding an Army? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         Loafer - (kmself) - (3)
                             Re: Loafer - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Recipie was doubled - (kmself)
                             throw some stale heineken into the sourdough -NT - (boxley)
             Woohoo! - (Yendor) - (1)
                 Stop it, I'm drooling! :) -NT - (Meerkat)
         Any coatings? - (mhuber) - (1)
             Salt water: 2Tbsp in 3/4 cup, warm - (kmself)
         Sourdough, TNG - (kmself)

Those responsible have been sacked.
218 ms