IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SP level clues.
There's a tool called Windows Diagnostics or something like that. It's in the Start Menu, not in the Control Panel. I think it's in the Adminstration Tools. It tells you the exact SP level installed. It probably won't be SP2.

If you're going to stick with Win2k, then I'd open the Administration console and turn off all the services you don't need. For instance, if it's not being a web server, turn off IIS and the Indexing Service.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Thanks - on the list.
Hmmm - I hope it wasn't Admin Tools (rather than Sys Tools) where I found only the disk clean-up -defrag I suppose, so it's gotta be FAT- and another which wasn't Diagnostics. Now I have to wonder if a bunch of things got deleted. What records I saw showed only rare 'actions' on this server. Time for forensics. Wish I could run an unerase ap and see *when* these disappeared. Damn.. Symantec for 2K?

As to remaining with W2K.. All our micro-wars come home to roost in the Question, "which choice is likely to cause *them* the least, integrated grief/day" ??

If as Peter says - Ghost won't (work? work well enough to bet on?) - then a bad glitch would mean RRR. They couldn't do it. Dunno if I want to learn enough about 2K to feel confident I could (anytime and quickly), either. If I'm going to put in that much energy, best be towards ~Debian - for the future - not to salvage the past.

(And if I got W2K cooled ..? How long til it's rendered unmaintainable by intent?) Then too, and as Peter has claimed about 2K: this install *has* performed adequately thus far (!) Now if it's been sabotaged.. \ufffd \ufffd

I guess it has to come down to, eventually - for them too:
The W2K path seems to lead to only increasing agony, costs and ultimately NET-like total control of their data and their options. As in our general er discussions.

Guess I have a chance to try out the trade-offs; it also comes down to psych, availability of local people - as much as tech - in the end ;-)

Nothing's simple since the Sinclair!

Arrrggghhhh.

A.
Why Me, God ?

..because You. Piss. Me. Off.
New Try looking in Accessories.
I've found that Microsoft move stuff around with each release of Windows (guess where Windows Explorer is in W2k) but people often do, too. At my last position, the CTO was absolutely anal about the Start Menu, the Desktop and the TaskBar on the servers. (Of course, I wouldn't have used W2k in the first place...)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Let no good deed go unpunished or, [RFQ?] - (Ashton) - (11)
         Some hints. - (static) - (5)
             Thanks Wade. - (Ashton)
             Re: Some hints. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 I was covering a few extra bases. - (static) - (2)
                     Dialup in W2K is just like the Internet Connection Wizard. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         On my way to do some homework.. - (Ashton)
         Some hints. - (static)
         A sysadmin's lot is not a happy one.. - (Ashton) - (3)
             SP level clues. - (static) - (2)
                 Thanks - on the list. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Try looking in Accessories. - (static)

It's a wet cheese, left out in the cold.
39 ms