IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wasn't Carnahan also in a King Air about this time 2yrs ago?
New Re: Wasn't Carnahan also in a King Air
No, Cessna 335.

I do remember the night - pea soup at ground level. Not cold enough for ice to be an issue.

The artificial horizon failed - with no ground reference and no stars, they were flying blind and without orientation information other than that provided by the inner ear. The thinking is, the pilot (his son) maneuvered the plane into a stall attitude and could not recover from the resulting spin.

I would have rigged some kind of plumb bob from the cockpit ceiling to act as a direction indicator.
-drl
New Did both AI's fail?
I should look up the NTSB report on this. Seems like there was an article about the accident in Plane & Pilot or some other flying mag. I've read about several IMC accidents and I start wondering if my plans to pursue an instrument rating next year are well founded. It must be hard to make a "no-go" decision if you've been instrument rated for a while and are used to flying in true IMC conditions. Right now, the go/no-go choice for me is easy (if it ain't VFR minimums, I ain't goin'), but I suppose it's gotta be harder to decide against going w/some IMC flying time under your belt.

Thanks fo the info,
Mikem
New Re: Did both AI's fail?
That's the thinking - he radioed in problems with his 8-ball, stated he would try to use the co-pilot's, then asked for a vector to VFR conditions - shortly afterward radar contact was lost.

If I were you, I'd get in the habit of tacking up a St. Christopher medal on a fine chain :)

As a philosophical issue, I can't see the point in flying IFR for recreation!
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Oct. 30, 2002, 11:40:16 AM EST
     Senator Wellstone from Minnesota dies in plane crash - (admin) - (33)
         More than sad.. - (Ashton) - (5)
             yup look what carnahan gave us -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                 Re: yup look what carnahan gave us - (deSitter)
                 Or did you mean - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Would ashcroft been appointed if Carnahan had not died? - (boxley) - (1)
                         Sorry - (deSitter)
         He wrote a book - (Ashton)
         Too convenient. - (tuberculosis) - (25)
             Yes.. the unstated Question, nowadays not even silly.. :( -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                 I don't think so. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Agreed that is far more likely. - (Ashton)
                     Re: I don't think so. - (deSitter) - (4)
                         Wasn't Carnahan also in a King Air about this time 2yrs ago? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Re: Wasn't Carnahan also in a King Air - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Did both AI's fail? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Re: Did both AI's fail? - (deSitter)
             If you want to get paranoid - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                 Re: If you want to get paranoid - (deSitter)
             Consider the politics - (kmself) - (8)
                 It looks like the politically fair thing will happen - (boxley)
                 Saddest Thing - (deSitter) - (6)
                     yabbut a very liberal weasel so status quo is achieved -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                         Ah.. so this guy represented what you deem - (Ashton) - (4)
                             eh, doc called him a weasel I just further defined it and - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Oh is that all.. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Re: Oh is that all.. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Mondale ain't Wellstone. - (Ashton)
             You're not alone: - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 wanna bet he can explain why missile defense cant work :-) - (boxley)
             Add'l links -- prior "assassination" incident, "hunted man" - (kmself) - (3)
                 Democrat professor w/ MS - model for West Wing's Bartlett??? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Heh.. maybe - (Ashton)
                     Re: Democrat professor. - (a6l6e6x)