IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo
Well, now the game's gone gold I guess I'd better tell you lot about it.

This review is confined to the Linux version of the demo, as I'm still organising the the 3GB of disk space required for the full game.

Installation

Uses Loki's installer, works like a dream. Can't complain. Also you get functionality which Windows users do not, namely automatic patch location and installation.

Menus

One of the weak points of Unreal Tournament was that the menu structure was a bit cryptic, with tabbed dialogue boxes that didn't make a whole heap of sense. This has been fixed. UT2K3 has a far simpler user interface that's more responsive. This is goodness.

The front menu has a good "instant action" option, which throws you straight into a firefight on the map of your choice. Again, sane defaults mean that 99% of the time you just hit "Fight" and get on with it.

Graphics

Lush.

Gorgeous.

Rich.

Slow.

This game is nothing short of stunning to look at. Some stonkingly high poly counts mean that the UT2K3 world is rich, immersive and satisfying. Procedural textures, subtle lighting and water that looks wet all add to the experience.

All this beauty comes at a price, and that price is CPU cycles. You'll need at least a P3 1GHz or better, and at least a GeForce2 with 32MB. At least. The minimum specs are a joke.

Gameplay

I come from a Quake 3 Arena background, which means I'm into lightning fast deathmatch gameplay, combined with highly tactical CTF work. A lot of people have said that UT2K3 is like Quake 3. Well, it's not. It's not as fast. One of the key moves in Q3A is the rocket jump, which seems pretty much absent.

However, if we forget about Q3A for a moment and enjoy UT2K3 on its own merits, we find a satisfying game that has few flaws. One of those flaws is that your enemies have a habit of blending into the background. This is not a realistic game. You should be able to see your target :-)

Once you get over this, and let the game's unique dynamic settle in, it's fun.

The weapons seem to be reasonably balanced, but as usual he who has the flak cannon wins in close combat. The lightning gun is a poor replacement for the sniper rifle - which, to be fair, was a horrendously powerful weapon in UT.

After a while, I found myself concentrating on the trio of flak cannon, rocket launcher and minigun.

The gametypes are varied enough to provide much interest, with Bombing Run and Double Domination likely to be unfamiliar to new players.

Bombing Run is basically UT2K3 football. When you have the ball, you can't fire. Put the ball in the opponent's goal to score.

Double Domination is a variation on Domination from UT - only this time, you must hold two specific points on the map for a period of time to score. CTF and deathmatch are their perennial selves.

Summary

Although this isn't the game I'd hoped for after all the hype, I was pleasantly surprised by how it grew on me. It'll not replace Q3A in my gaming life, but it will sit nicely alongside it.

What really remains to be seen is what the modding scene makes of it.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New OT: Original Unreal comment...
I tried to play multiplayer Unreal back when it was first released, over a very noisy dialup line, before they fixed the netcode.

I only scored one kill out of the 4-5 times I tried it, and the one kill was a headshot with the sniper rifle on a moving target. Go figure.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Re: OT: Original Unreal comment...
I hear it's better now, but dang if I'm going to try a game like Quake or Unreal on a dialup line. Something like Everquest or Neverwinter or Dark Age of Camelot, those are *designed* for dialup. Dialup on quake or unreal is a second, almost a third, thought.
New Used to play Quakeworld CTF via dialup all the time.
Quakeworld was playable, unless one side was entirely made up of ISDN players. I actually did pretty well for a guy with a crappy 28.8k connection - in Quakeworld.

Unreal's netcode was legendarily crappy.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New I should try it again
Back when I originally tried even Internet play, it was gawdawful slow. I think I tried dialup a couple of times but kept getting blown away. :-( Probably a combination of early Internet code and slow connection.

But back then, getting better than a 28K connection was a miracle when it happened. Either my ISP or my telephone company has upgraded its lines; I regularly get 50K playing Everquest nowdays. In fact, on those occasions when I get 28K, I just hang up and try again.
Expand Edited by wharris2 Oct. 23, 2002, 06:00:56 PM EDT
New Specs comment et al.
I have run it on my Games PC. This is an Athlon 1800, 256Mb RAM, GeForce 4MX.
The graphics defaults were perfect.

It felt a lot like Half-Life, actually. Now you're probaly going to tell me I'm full of shit and that it's nothing like Half-Life. Well, I disagree. All three Quake games had unique feels - but unique Id feels that no-one has managed to copy. Half-Life also had a strong and unique character, but it was distinctly "not-Id" and clearly intended to be so. I never played the original Unreal - but UT seems to borrow more from Half-Life than from Quake 3.

The biggest trouble I had was figuring out what weapon I was holding! The Quake weapons are highly distinctive; the UT ones were ... well, not really.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Weapons.
Yeah, know what you mean. I've attempted to feed hot plasma death to people with the assault rifle more than once, because it looks very similar to the link gun.

However, the lightning gun is bright yellow - can't possible miss that :)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New I have the full version...
Works well on Linux and Winders...

The one thing I don't like is the FEEL of the game in either one... The Translotor doesn;t work the way It should... kinda glitchy.. not Trustworthy...

BUT... The Double Domination is Just... Just... Just... Great...

The Bombing Run... my brain was dribbling out my ear... it is TOUGH and FUN!!! Passing Strategy... It's sort of like "CTF+Football+Steal The Bacon" all rolled up into one...

I have been playing in Giant Maps, as I am part of *DbD* we have been practicing on maps migrated to UT2 (what the maps extensions are)... I believe Bombing Run will be more popular that CTF by a LONG shot... it can be made to work in Aerial maps, Giant Maps, Small tight Maps, or Big-Rooms... with no obstacles... The adrenaline is way cool... you can use it for: Invisibility, Speed, Defense, Offense... for a limited time... only or if you can keep getting adrenaline...

Combining Enhanced Shock Rifle... plus traditional weapons would be Great!!! 3G... just for starters... EVERYTHING is bigger... Maps, textures, etc all double or triple UT sizes....

Music... is ALL .ogg!!!!! Awesome sound quality... sweet sounds too... If you know what you are doing... any ogg player will work...(or should)

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo - (pwhysall) - (7)
         OT: Original Unreal comment... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Re: OT: Original Unreal comment... - (wharris2) - (2)
                 Used to play Quakeworld CTF via dialup all the time. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     I should try it again - (wharris2)
         Specs comment et al. - (static) - (1)
             Weapons. - (pwhysall)
         I have the full version... - (folkert)

public class Lrpdism implements GenericSaying
46 ms