IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Uhoh...
I believe Alaska has added a variety of features to the xbase language including OO and XML support.
You just ruined it for Bryce. He won't bother now. :-P
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Well, you don't have to use those features...and maybe
not all XBase jobs require using them.

Tony
New www.dbase2000.com... Nah, oops, that's OO too.
New Pied pOOper
>> including OO and XML support.
You just ruined it for Bryce. He won't bother now. :-P <<

The stupid vendors had to follow the OO hype. They could have done wonderful things with the table paradigm. Even Foxpro 2.6 stored screen layouts in tables instead of comb-code classes (although they were not meant to be hand-edited by developers in a table browser, nore did they plan very well. The structure looked slapped together. but at least they were moving in the right direction.)

They could have went full TOP and stood out from the crowd. But, the marketing idiots had to follow the Pied pOOper and make it messy muck.

Clipper was the first to go. I think the company was purchased by a C++ and Smalltalk fanatic who tried to change the nature and feel of Clipper to be half-C++ and half-smalltalk. Fortunately, everybody back then ignored his ramblings, for a while at least until the hype was too big to ignore.

Don't git me started! I don't want another of those vietnOOm flashback panic-attaaa aaa aaa a aaaaa a aaa

OHV vee-twin, didn't need no fancy schmancy DOHCs n'such - enough torque at the low end, no need to wind to 10K rpm before anything happened.

And while you might have been Oriented towards yer Object(ive), and parts were Reuseable in event you messed up your Turing machine: the Records were on the Table, and you didn't go any faster if you Combed your hair with Class.

So ya had to put OOP or shut OOP, when the Flag was Set.

:-\ufffd
New Inconsistency
Ashton sez:
I still miss my Vincent Black Shadow..

OHV vee-twin, didn't need no fancy schmancy DOHCs n'such
[...]
So smart technology is "fancy schmancy"? Then good solid ladder frames, OHV V8 engines without "fancy schmancy DOHCs" and so on, must be good too, no?

Or, in other words: What you're describing probably guzzles enough gas to make it "the 'UAV' of motorcycles".

It's exactly that *attitude* towards mechanical engineering that created the "UAV".
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Nahhh... not even close.
The generalization fails, as does the imputation of Ludditry.

Gas mileage was excellent for a 1000 cc - especially if pottering along, though - normally you wouldn't be doing that. Maybe excellent at the ton too, but can't say I made effort to measure that specifically. Somewhere there may be numbers I writ..

(Another example of ~ good but not Groovy-New design, was my Cit. DS-M with staid 4: which got 22.x mpg on one run at near constant 90 mph. 30+ years ago. What do new comparable-sized cars get at 90? If you can still find a place to do that.) Hmmm. You can! less-Puritan Deutschland.

In Vincents, the cams were located high in the cases, using short sculpted (for lightness, strength) pushrods and a clever bevelled (donut-like) 'ledge' pressed-on near the middle of the valve stem -- on which the short forked-rocker applied lift. 54 HP @ <5600 rpm IIRC in ~51 when first Series C appeared. (Dunno about B's vs mileage) Don't need better valve control at those rpm.

Net result: minimal mass, good er 'radius of gyration'; something in-between the DOHC approach and [virtual opposite] say, Harley - with its cam buried deep in sump, humongously loong pushrods, ergo mass + lots of rod-'flutter' too.

Point being - it is fucking formatory too! to imagine that, "all engines which can turn fastest" via all the expensive alloys [energy of mfg. cost, materials yada] MUST be the best for all purposes.

A modern v-twin (as the Vincent was - only earlier!) benefits from the torque available at normal speeds and normal usage: yer 10K screamer is running on the torque of a V- a quarter its size! under those conditions. Conditions most often used (most riders).

(And I see this phenom when driving a friend's Acura Integra - it's a Screamer. One Hell of a lot of thrashing where on a Vincent say - to zip around something - a mere slight twist on throttle = a big bump in the ass, at lo rpm. QED?)

You may not extrapolate the above to the generalization you made. I didn't.

:-\ufffd
New Applied *lift*? Desmodromic, just like a Ducati? Kewl.
New Re: Applied *lift*? Desmodromic, just like a Ducati? Kewl.
Er umm - well, one 'lifts' the valve off its seat where the spring has (better - has) held it.

Desmo is about No spring (er maybe weak one for taking up clearances) - no? It 'places' the valve up + down exactamente. And its essence would be / nay is: to permit even higher RPM without fear of float. So it is the very essence of a modern major ge - er Screamer, no?

Maybe my description didn't convey..

Imagine a swaged-on donut about midway along the valve stem. From the side, a (hardened) fork abuts this collar (the donut has a flat face on that side). There's a step in the valve stem dia. upon which the collar sits, in addition to being a tight fit on assembly.

Consequence too, less valve mass overall. Larger valve-guide dia. at bottom, where seat is - smaller at top = just to prevent side wobble. Two guides better than one -- when ya gots such room! 'Austenitic iron' valve seat inserts, to complete the aim for longevity. Many made it over 100K fast miles.

A bearing in middle of rocker of course; the other side of rocker has a spherical socket - to match the ball-end of a double-tapered pushrod. Light alloy rocker with hardened 'business' inserts. *Modern* design - as any Screamer, I assert: Every gram was contemplated, and while "no expense" is alwys an exaggeration - Irving fought against any serious compromises. (An early bronze timing gear was.. finally replaced with lightened, steel one with fancy hardening process).

It is a short pushrod because of the high placement of the cam, in crankcase ~ near the lower visible part of juncture of the cylinder fins. This-all, instead of pushing on the Top of the valve stem, as normally.

Saves height of cyl head too - rocker need not be Above valve. Saves valve guide wear; on Phil Irving's design: these two guides unique. Add-in superior finishing of such sliding surfaces as are unavoidable in any cam/valve assembly.

Or were you just being a smart-ass, odd as that thought is?

OTOH - IIRC the VOC (Owners..) kicked around the natural exploitation of the valve collar approach. One problem re returning valve to seat desmodromically: collar is er 'swaged' onto something which runs as hot as anything (inside) an engine.

You can only pay so much attention to How-tight that collar must remain at all temps, via friction VS simply cracking it from too Much interference fit. 'Close' motion wants to lift up that collar!

Pinning it.. is out for all obvious reasons.. Maybe special forged valve with lumpy stem + split-bearings for the lower guide? Never heard more. Why bother? Well folks in US and UK were pushing it - also in Oz. Alcohol, 11:1 pistons one-piece cranks, etc. to where more rpm could have been useful. Nothing exceeds like excess...

A.

PS there's a Shadow running ~ these parts I hear. So far no spot.

New Can somebody help me translate from Ashton to English?
Is there software for that?

The only thing that I get is roughly "OO is just about the only game in town, so live with it or get out of the biz."

Programming was nice, easy, smooth, intuitive, etc. before OO convoluted everything into oblivion and made simple things into complex protocol chains with no ancor anywhere in sight and hard-to-Xray RAM-shct.

Itsa left-handed world now.

I could probably live with something like Smalltalk, but JAVA??? Somebody couldn't make a language/system less suited for they way I think even if they took my webpages and made the negative in the form of a language.
Expand Edited by tablizer Aug. 22, 2001, 01:52:51 AM EDT
New The Resource Kit CD is $40; must be Passport certified.
New There's someone who sorta agrees with you.
He thinks Java does a lot of things wrong and badly, so he created a Java spin-off of a sorts called [link|http://icon.cs.unlv.edu/godiva/|Godiva].

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I missed it, and link is gone
I tried to find it at the new site and google, but most links seem old
I found [link|http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:M1JFdCXqWVw:icon.cs.unlv.edu/godiva/+%22Godiva%22+Java&hl=en|a copy of the original page] in Google's cache. If you like what you see, perhaps you could email Clinton Jeffery. It looks like deletion of the Godiva stuff may be accidental.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Astoundingly astute observation.
Fablizer moaned:
Itsa left-handed world now.
Yup.

And statistics show we southpaws are smarter than you righties anyway, so you better get adjusted to the idea of leaving the more intellectually challenging jobs to us.

I'm sure you can find a rewarding -- and far more fitting of your particular "talents" -- career in burger-flipping or garbage disposal or something.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New now now dont pick fights with the guy
who may hafta fix yer banks legacy xbase code. If ya think I am joking found out a major US bank still uses MIA Basic4's in a lot of places.
thanx,
bill
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
     ADP? - (tablizer) - (32)
         whereabouts you at? - (boxley) - (12)
             West - (tablizer) - (11)
                 "WHahhh!!!" - (Fearless Freep) - (10)
                     well he does have a point - (boxley) - (9)
                         I will consider relocation - (tablizer) - (8)
                             Unrealistic? - (admin) - (7)
                                 Bah. Practically commuting, is that. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     On the other end.... - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                         60-70? - (pwhysall)
                                         Re: On the other end.... - (gdaustin)
                                     Nice. - (admin)
                                     trouble with that is yer co-workers figure you are so close - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Me either. - (pwhysall)
         XBase Lives! - (tonytib) - (17)
             Uhoh... - (admin) - (15)
                 Well, you don't have to use those features...and maybe - (tonytib)
                 www.dbase2000.com... Nah, oops, that's OO too. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Pied pOOper - (tablizer) - (12)
                     Hang in there, Bryce.. - (Ashton) - (11)
                         Inconsistency - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Nahhh... not even close. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 Applied *lift*? Desmodromic, just like a Ducati? Kewl. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Re: Applied *lift*? Desmodromic, just like a Ducati? Kewl. - (Ashton)
                         Can somebody help me translate from Ashton to English? - (tablizer) - (6)
                             The Resource Kit CD is $40; must be Passport certified. -NT - (Ashton)
                             There's someone who sorta agrees with you. - (static) - (2)
                                 I missed it, and link is gone - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     Odd. - (static)
                             Astoundingly astute observation. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 now now dont pick fights with the guy - (boxley)
             and don't forgit Open-Source Xbase - (tablizer)
         On Gov form instructions - (tablizer)

An implementation of non-trivial covariant returns for non-varadic virtual functions.
146 ms