IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let's address this.
We've got yet another handwaving, free-of-detail whinging post from Norm about Linux.

Linux is designed as a Server OS, not a Windows Clone. Do you really need to learn how to Print? O'Reilly most likely sold an extra book for that function. Not that I read them, the web based HOWTO stuff is good enough for me.

Translation: "I couldn't get it working so it sucks and I heard someone say that printing is sucky on Linux so I guess it's really hard and I'll make a snarky comment about O'Reilly books."
The only problem I have had is the old hardware I have doesn't seem to work with the modern Linux drivers. Any Linux made from 1995 - 1997 works great, but try Red hat 7.3, SuSE 8.0, or Mandrake 8.0 and I cannot even get the GUI in X-Server to work, or connect to the Network.

Translation: "Apparently, I'm too lazy to post details of what doesn't work and what I've tried. And I'm going to make vague, nebulous statements about mythical packages called "X-Server" and then toss in the fact that networking isn't working."
But, KNOPPIX boots just fine as long as I disable the SCSI probing and other silly sh*t that makes it hang on my machine. I am so p*ssed off at the other Linux vendors, that I might just copy the KNOPPIX Linux to my Hard Drive right off the freaking CD-ROM!

Translation: "Apparently, my hardware is so sucky that a distribution that works just about damn near everywhere else mysteriously doesn't boot unless I take special steps. And then I'm going to get pissed off at a bunch of vendors to whom I haven't paid a penny. Also, note the complete lack of technical detail in any statement I make about Linux."
Don't kill me guys, but my two Linux machines are being reformatted to NT 4.0 Server and Windows 2000 Server for testing some stuff at home for what I am doing at work.

Translation: "I'm going back to my Microsoft software, because that's what I know."
Heck I might even install Darwin if it behaves correctly and allows me to get into a GUI mode without a kernel panic or "missing font or screen" errors that the current XFree crap seems to be giving me. Even f*cking Cygwin works half*ssed for me, on my 98 system it ran great, came up with a GNOME GUI, etc.

Translation: "I'm going to wave another buzzword around, and then start whaling on a piece of software that works great for everyone else but I can't seem to get going. Then I'm going to go off on a tangent about an unrelated piece of software on a different operating system." [note: You have never had a GNOME desktop on Cygwin/XFree86. Trust me on this. ]
On my Windows 2000 Server system, it ran like sh*t, had the f*cking paths set, followed the whole TWIKI IIS/W2K Cookbook, and the f*cking thing still would not work! So, f*ck it, the whole hard drive gets wiped and I start over again. I got Virtual PC 4.2, and will install Linux on it and see what the f*ck happens. If it works, I may have to buy new hardware to run freaking Linux later on my other systems. I got a f*cking network of 6 Whitebox PC systems, and f*cking none of them can run Linux right except the KNOPPIX version of Linux, WTF!

Translation: "Blah blah blah blah Windows 2000 blah blah Twiki blah blah IIS blah blah Knoppix."

It's getting old, Norm.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New well if you have never been under the hood of nix
the x install if it doesnt work via a probe is sucky as shit and as intuitive as my non technical posts. I have had to hack the xconfig file for off breed cards the drivers cant identify. Cant expect Norm to get it right off the top. Isnt the point to be able to use the tool for the job as opposed to using the tool cause it is cool?
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about his continuous wailing and gnashing of teeth, yet persistent refusal to say what video card won't work on what motherboard.

That's just whining for the sake of it, rather than an attempt to get some of the very clever people who read this board to help.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Oh forbid that
I could ever get anyone from here to help me without making some sort of snide comment or calling me an idiot for asking for help. RTFM Norm! Yeah I did, now what, it didn't work. Give me the error, "Missing Fixed Width Font", not specific enough, it would be nice if it told me what font it found missing now would it? Rather than use your infinte knowledge and give me some things to try, or ask me to send to configuration files via email, you just call me a whiner instead. Thanks so much Peter, calling me a whiner has magically made my Red Hat Linux 7.3 work again. At least, in Virtual PC 4.2 under Windows 2000 Server, not on the two other workstations that I wanted it on, but oh well, what can you do when you are a "fucking whiner" because the software is not working with the hardware?

You seem to forget that I am trying to move over to Linux, yet you keep confusing me with one of those foaming at the mouth Pro-Microsoft fanbodys going on an AntiLinux rant. Gee I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't adopted Linux yet? It seems like such an easy to use OS, with nice and friendly people on the Internet who go out of their way to help you, and not treat you like a redheaded stepchild and call you names or anything when you ask for help, tell them the problems you had, and spell the name of a product wrong. Gee I wonder why it is that so many people switch back to Windows? ;)

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New Froth and suds.
I don't mind you venting, Norm, but it's difficult to discern when you want help and when you're just letting it all out. Might I suggest that the Flame forum is equally valid for value-free venting over things - e.g. Linux! - as well as people.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Just the fonts Ma'am - (orion) - (61)
         Personally, I think the Linux community . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (60)
             But but but - (drewk) - (1)
                 All that I have to say to that... - (ben_tilly)
             Slightly different take on fonts... - (kmself)
             Re: Personally, I think the Linux community . . - (deSitter) - (22)
                 "Printing" cat foo >>/dev/lp (shrug) - (boxley)
                 Years ago, I had an O'Reilly Linux book . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                     for goodness saki - (boxley) - (3)
                         Ah! I see your point . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             This is why... - (pwhysall)
                             huh! berkley he sez - (boxley)
                     Oh ho ho ho - (orion) - (14)
                         The word... - (pwhysall) - (6)
                             Now, now ... - (folkert) - (5)
                                 Are we all friends again? - (orion) - (4)
                                     OK! - (folkert) - (3)
                                         Humor, yeah! - (orion)
                                         Gives added meaning to the Apple billboard I saw yesterday . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         can watch online - (SpiceWare)
                         Printserver -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Let's address this. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             well if you have never been under the hood of nix - (boxley) - (3)
                                 I'm not talking about that. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Oh forbid that - (orion) - (1)
                                         Froth and suds. - (static)
                         Very good suggestions... - (folkert)
                 And what, pray, does the "Linux Community" owe you? - (pwhysall)
             Re: Personally, I think the Linux community . . - (rickmoen) - (33)
                 Hey, you came up with the idea . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
                     Gosh, Uncle Andrew, please explain this to us - (rickmoen) - (30)
                         Rick, he's agreeing with you - (drewk) - (29)
                             Re: Rick, he's agreeing with you - (rickmoen) - (28)
                                 Minor OT does anyone know the life of a typeface patent? - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Aren't they copyrighted or trademarked, not patented? - (Another Scott)
                                 Yup, that's just what he's talking about - (drewk) - (25)
                                     Re: Yup, that's just what he's talking about - (rickmoen) - (24)
                                         Yes, I got the satire - (drewk) - (23)
                                             Reality is not optional. -- Thomas Sowell - (rickmoen) - (13)
                                                 The source is available - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     Fixed. - (admin) - (1)
                                                         Thankee - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Fine, bad example - (drewk) - (9)
                                                     You have no idea how bad an example - (rickmoen) - (8)
                                                         Re: You have no idea how bad an example - (drewk) - (7)
                                                             And so we wave a fond farewell - (rickmoen) - (6)
                                                                 Re: And so we wave a fond farewell -NT - (deSitter) - (5)
                                                                     He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, didn't he? -NT - (static) - (4)
                                                                         Perspiring minds want to know: - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                                                             Naw... He's just jealous - (folkert)
                                                                             Do you really not know? I'm surprised. -NT - (static)
                                                                         Squeek doesnt bother me and sometimes even adds - (boxley)
                                             Reality is not optional. -- Thomas Sowell - (rickmoen)
                 Re: Personally, I think the Linux community . . - (deSitter)

Barnaby Jones?
150 ms