IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm in an extremely large and structured environment....
(yea, corporate life!)

And I wrote a post that almost exactly matched Scott's. So I erased it and wrote this instead:

A couple of (other) thoughts:

The ultimate goal of the process of Build/Release/Promote is Repeatability.

If special steps are required to get a release into QA, they should be documented and followed each time a release goes into QA. Anything that is one-time-only should be viewed with suspicion.

Source Code control (RCS, CVS, PVCS, Clearcase) - absolutely required, in my opinion.

Our code is too large to have everyone compile it. (It would take too much space and time). In these cases, we've modularized our code out and created stubbed out services for others code that we call (but which we won't build and aren't responsible for.)

Testing should be built for every single module. I wish we ran our unit level tests as part of the build process. :-( We do have unit level test automated and we run them every single single time they're a change.

I'm currently working on similar testing scripts for the higher levels of testing. (Perl is wonderful.)

I strongly recommend that users get to see test results as early on in the testing cycle as possible. (We unoffically get them involved at our level 2 testing when process calls for them to be involved in level 5 testing.) (Speaking as a person who's misinterrepted user requirements far too often.)

New Re: I'm in an extremely large and structured environment....
Ditto on the repeatability... hence the 'automate everything' stance I took. There should be no special steps for any environment. We control everything through local environment initialization files, the values of which can be inserted with macros into just about anything in the build process. As an example, our J2EE server's config directory is created on the fly at build time out of one of the modules in the source code repository. Datasources are built, local machine names, port numbers, admin password, all of that stuff is created by the build configuration script.

We have almost two million lines of code, and still can build the entire system on someone's PC.

Re: test results: the results of every nightly build in each of the environments gets posted to the intranet automatically here.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Build/Release/Promote Process - (jlalexander) - (27)
         Re: Build/Release/Promote Process - (admin) - (3)
             Procedures? Vee don't neet no steenkin' procedures! - (drewk)
             I'm in an extremely large and structured environment.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                 Re: I'm in an extremely large and structured environment.... - (admin)
         build a usable process, get buy in and enforce it - (boxley) - (7)
             How do you do that in a small shop? - (drewk) - (6)
                 one person might do all 5 - (boxley) - (5)
                     Probably - (drewk) - (4)
                         well you could ]:-> - (boxley) - (3)
                             Like we haven't thought of that - (drewk) - (2)
                                 you mean you couldnt archive 1-5000 - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Too many things would have to change - (drewk)
         Re: Build/Release/Promote Process - (jlalexander)
         What Scott said - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             Re: What Scott said - (wharris2) - (2)
                 I've heard good things about MKS - (admin)
                 ClearCase - (tuberculosis)
             Re: What Scott said - (jlalexander) - (8)
                 What Scott said this time - (admin)
                 Try TKCVS - (drewk) - (5)
                     It's not the GUI he needs... - (admin) - (3)
                         Doh! - (drewk) - (2)
                             Re: Doh! - (jlalexander) - (1)
                                 I'm in the same fix - (tuberculosis)
                     Subversion - (tuberculosis)
                 Oh, and one other thing - (drewk)
             Visual Source Safe... - (ChrisR)

Also, a cat pissed through the front of it and it won't boot any more.
88 ms