IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Time to piss...
The best OS I've used is still OS/2 in the context of its time. If development had continued, it would beat the stuffing out of Windows 2k.

Windows is not MY choice - it's the only viable choice for a real world business - for reasons that are ugly and unjust, but I didn't make the rules.

Linux could STILL be a great personal thing if IBM would put its back into it, but they really have no business reason to do that apparently. Still, with all the resources they have, why not do it? It's a mystery to me. I participated in the APL2 for Linux beta program, and from that it was clear that workstation Linux at IBM is a fringe effort right now.

Linux/UNIX is STILL a great server OS because it has very fast and stable I/O. A workstation OS needs more process granularity though.

Yes, I loved Linux once. What a rush to have personal UNIX for free! Things changed somewhere - I got disillusioned. Basically I realized that it is no more stable in practice than modern Windows, and just as difficult if not moreso to maintain. I spent too much time tweaking things and not enough time making things.

-drl
New Thank you...
You have just splashed some water on the flames...

Thanks for the comments... I can understand how things get this way... i have been there before and have come back and forth many times... but I have consistently used linux on a machine I built about 3 years ago... haven't really touched it except for what I felt were critical updates...

It is a Pentium 3 500Mhz with 384MB RAM and a GAGGLE of SCSI disk on it. It has crashed once, due to an extended power failure... then a disk failure on 2 disks not spinning up when power came back on.

I USE it everyday all the time... I try to rip myslef away from the machine... but I can't it IS my primary machine... although I was supposed to give it up about 1 year ago... I have faster more featured... but it just works... and I cannot relinquish it... tis my favorite...

Oh, well to each 'is own...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Visual representation of Linux kernel - (marlowe) - (13)
         fbog -NT - (pwhysall)
         Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (deSitter) - (7)
                 Well, we can't all be BSD hackers. -NT - (marlowe)
                 According to the legend - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: According to the legend - (deSitter)
                 Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (pwhysall)
                 Time to piss... - (folkert) - (2)
                     Re: Time to piss... - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Thank you... - (folkert)
             He Do! - (Ashton) - (1)
                 How cool would that be? - (drewk)
         Some history - (ben_tilly)