IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ashton should like the zoomed views....
Seems to have pictures from a cloud chamber...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views....
WTF are those squiggles? Cracks, like in terra cotta paintings?

I can't believe people have this much time to piss away. Ah Linux, the favorite toy of bored geeks. Imagine if all that effort went into making a real operating system.

-drl
New Well, we can't all be BSD hackers.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Everything's a mystery until you figure out how it works.
We are here to go!
The nihilists and the liars have buried truth alive in a shallow grave.
New According to the legend
squiggles are code paths. Forks correspond to ifs, circls to loops.
We have only 2 things to worry about: That things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New Re: According to the legend
There was a legend?

Funny, my mind first processed "legend" as something from Heinlein. Then I remembered, it's a map, dummy.
-drl
New Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views....
I can't believe people have this much time to piss away. Ah Linux, the favorite toy of bored geeks. Imagine if all that effort went into making a real operating system.

Why bother? After all, VMS is there. Might as well play :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Time to piss...
Or get off the Pot Ross...

If you believe that Windows is THE OS of Choice for you... SO be it... I use that OS, I use em all... I choose to use Linux mainly cause it fits everything I need ot to do for what I do...

[link|http://web.grcc.edu/|This machine] is only a Dual Prcessor Pentium3 Xeon wiht 2MB cache processors... it has is a huge squid server, an apache web-server with a READ only DOC-ROOT on a Novell File Server, it is my remote syslogd server, 1 of 2 NTP stratum 2 servers on campus, it is my Big Brother proactive monitoring system, twiki is being fleshed out on this box, primary SNMP trap manager, primary student authentication system, Novell eDIR replicas, System availablity/planning reporter, reverse-proxy for students to use COLLEGE ONLY resources off campus, a smart mailer for "don't know how to handle it" mail from GroupWise and NetMail. Plus it does batch processing for our enrollment lists to synchronize 4 disparate systems once an hour 6AM - 10PM.

All that and it's busiest time is when it is rotating and compressing logs. It gets to an LA of 1.5 witha CPU util of 15% and lots of disk I/O... compresses 300MB logs now that the students are back.

Oh yeah, couple things, the box only serves about 2.2 million Cache requests a day, and about 100K web server hits a day. About 1600 campus clients a day use it, and about 20K unique ip addrss connections made a day.

So, when will Windows 2K be able to do that all with a Dual 700Mhz Pentium 3 and not run out of memory nearly every day? and Still be usable at the console easily...

Don't give me NO Crap about you not having time for this... You once said something very close to "Give me Linux or Give me DEATH!" and whatever happened to that e-mail address "unixmonster@someplace.dom" huh?

We been sparring for years, I know you... you know it too...!

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: Time to piss...
The best OS I've used is still OS/2 in the context of its time. If development had continued, it would beat the stuffing out of Windows 2k.

Windows is not MY choice - it's the only viable choice for a real world business - for reasons that are ugly and unjust, but I didn't make the rules.

Linux could STILL be a great personal thing if IBM would put its back into it, but they really have no business reason to do that apparently. Still, with all the resources they have, why not do it? It's a mystery to me. I participated in the APL2 for Linux beta program, and from that it was clear that workstation Linux at IBM is a fringe effort right now.

Linux/UNIX is STILL a great server OS because it has very fast and stable I/O. A workstation OS needs more process granularity though.

Yes, I loved Linux once. What a rush to have personal UNIX for free! Things changed somewhere - I got disillusioned. Basically I realized that it is no more stable in practice than modern Windows, and just as difficult if not moreso to maintain. I spent too much time tweaking things and not enough time making things.

-drl
New Thank you...
You have just splashed some water on the flames...

Thanks for the comments... I can understand how things get this way... i have been there before and have come back and forth many times... but I have consistently used linux on a machine I built about 3 years ago... haven't really touched it except for what I felt were critical updates...

It is a Pentium 3 500Mhz with 384MB RAM and a GAGGLE of SCSI disk on it. It has crashed once, due to an extended power failure... then a disk failure on 2 disks not spinning up when power came back on.

I USE it everyday all the time... I try to rip myslef away from the machine... but I can't it IS my primary machine... although I was supposed to give it up about 1 year ago... I have faster more featured... but it just works... and I cannot relinquish it... tis my favorite...

Oh, well to each 'is own...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New He Do!
A mandala! Precursor to the Final Diagram for homo-sap, reduced to all his machine-like processes (sans Awareness, natch) ?? I guess we do such stuff because.. Just as Art is done, because.. (or revealed to have been trapped in that slab of marble, just waiting to get out)

Whatever the motive, it seems a valid excursion in trying to present a humongous amount of factoids - maybe in the spirit of the famous graphics tour-de-force: showing the progress of Napoleon's Army to & from Moscow, shedding troops all the way. I have a copy of that lying about somewhere.

Yeah I did zoom into 64x; with the filenames I guess you could begin relating single lines of code to it-all. Not for the likes of me. I don't grok the itty-bitty Feynman-like diagrams:

Is it possible that there's a way to decipher each one so as to actually get some feel for what the CPU is doing as a consequence of that one file? If so then these little thingies are reminiscent of Gregg shorthand too! To understand such complexity, it seems to me that there's little need for the quantitative precision of 'many digits' - what you want is to grasp the movement.

Anyway - the scary part is that - maybe some refinement of this nascent stab at new notation might enable the likes of this mind and other unremarkable ones, to get a glimpse of the magic-level workings of a Non Neumann, say. Begin to dynamically juggle all that activity into some Dance of Shiva? (That may also be a fool's errand.)

How about it? Any chance that a dumbed-down graphical display could give a glimpse of [that which] the obsessed have grasped?

Ashton
Ever wondering what genius might feel like..
New How cool would that be?
Is it possible that there's a way to decipher each one so as to actually get some feel for what the CPU is doing as a consequence of that one file? If so then these little thingies are reminiscent of Gregg shorthand too! To understand such complexity, it seems to me that there's little need for the quantitative precision of 'many digits' - what you want is to grasp the movement.
Imagine a tool that started with this as a wireframe. Then when you launch a program, it hilights nodes and paths as they execute. Set a decay rate for the light, and you can identify bottlenecks in real time. Damn, that would be so cool, even just to watch.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Visual representation of Linux kernel - (marlowe) - (13)
         fbog -NT - (pwhysall)
         Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (deSitter) - (7)
                 Well, we can't all be BSD hackers. -NT - (marlowe)
                 According to the legend - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: According to the legend - (deSitter)
                 Re: Ashton should like the zoomed views.... - (pwhysall)
                 Time to piss... - (folkert) - (2)
                     Re: Time to piss... - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Thank you... - (folkert)
             He Do! - (Ashton) - (1)
                 How cool would that be? - (drewk)
         Some history - (ben_tilly)

Where did you want to go yesterday?
107 ms