1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New File this under "Unbelieveable!"
[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1518534|JC Penney story]

Aug. 2, 2002, 12:03AM

State ends effort to deny benefits to laid-off Penney workers

AUSTIN -- After taking extraordinary steps to deny unemployment benefits to employees when a Houston J.C. Penney store closed, the Texas Workforce Commission is calling it quits.

Commissioners unanimously voted this week to drop the state's appeal in a court fight pitting the commission against employees who lost jobs at Northwest Mall two years ago when Penney permanently shut its doors.

"I feel really good that we did challenge this one egregious ruling they made," said Austin labor attorney Rick Levy, who won the case in state district court for four of the former Penney employees.

The ruling is limited to those involved in this case. It does not help the 53 others who applied for unemployment after the store closed if they were rejected on similar grounds.

"Unfortunately, hundreds of cases are decided each year, and very few get taken to court," Levy said. "It's an employer-dominated agency, and workers still don't get a fair shake."

Commissioners Diane Rath, who represents the public, and Ron Lehman, who represents employers, vote as a bloc against the labor representative, T.P. O'Mahoney, Levy said.

Rath and Lehman overturned lower administrative findings at the agency when they sided with J.C. Penney's position that the workers had "voluntarily quit."

At issue was an employee questionnaire asking those about to be laid off if they had an interest in being considered for jobs at other J.C. Penney stores. They were warned they would lose their severance pay if they accepted a job at a Penney's store.

A separate memo from store manager Manny Salinas notified workers that their "scheduled last day of employment" would coincide with the day the store closed. It also noted that there were no positions open at other stores.

Rath and Lehman ruled the employees quit their jobs by refusing the opportunity to apply for a "transfer." That made them ineligible for unemployment compensation.

"It is nothing short of astonishing that the majority concluded that the claimant quit without good cause connected with the work," O'Mahoney wrote in his lone dissent.

"How could the claimant quit a job, when the job no longer existed at the time of her separation?" he continued. "What opportunity does the majority believe existed? Even if the claimant had agreed to try for a transfer, she was not guaranteed another job."

State District Judge James F. Clawson Jr. ruled in Houston last May in favor of the employees, concluding they were laid off and entitled to unemployment checks.

"In the context of a store closing," Levy had argued, "does providing a survey form with no job-specific job offer, no guarantee of employment, and no explanation as to the effect of the answers on the form convert a company initiated mass layoff into a voluntary resignation by an individual employee?"

J.C. Penney dropped its appeal, but the commission continued on its own.

The commission dropped its appeal after the Houston Chronicle asked Rath and Lehman why they were pursuing a case even the employer had agreed to drop.

Commissioners and J.C. Penney officials said their attorneys advised them not to discuss the matter until litigation has formally ended.

The Penney store closing resulted in 85 layoffs and 53 workers filing unemployment claims, according to the commission. However, it is impossible to know how many of the former workers were ultimately denied benefits by the commissioners because they checked the wrong box on the questionnaire.

Commission attorney Michael Burns refused to supply documents that would show how often the commissioners voted to deny benefits. He argued that federal law protecting the privacy of the company is an exception to the Texas Public Information Act.

The Texas Attorney General's office will review that decision.

Had the commission prevailed, Levy said it would have made it legal for companies to place all sorts of barriers in the path of laid-off workers, resulting in even more denials of claims during massive layoffs.

"The implications were huge," he said. "Particularly with the economic situation as it is, potentially thousands of workers were facing loss of additional benefits through this additional hoop set up by the Workforce Commission."

Already, Texas employers are far more likely to challenge unemployment claims and state officials are far more likely to side with employers than is true nationally, according to an Urban Institute study.

In 2001, for instance, 36 percent of all claims were contested, compared with less than 20 percent nationally. Benefits are denied in 70 percent of Texas cases where employers claim employees quit voluntarily and in 40 percent of cases where employers claim misconduct, Urban Institute economist Wayne Vroman said.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New The training grounds of our Selected Resident.
New Re: The training grounds of our Selected Resident.
I don't like Bush, lord I detest the man, but this kind of smarmy answer is uncalled for. Does it stand for anything other than being contemptuous of the target? What did that have to do with Bush? Did you read Dreisser's "American Tragedy"? These things didn't start when Clinton slithered out of town. The FATE of the country does not lie by a hanging chad. I think what enrages some people about both the left AND the right is their supreme ignorance of the permanence and continuity of life and infantile self-adsorption.

The article was about the stupidity and inhumanity of valueless bureaucracy. If Bush himself is stupid (yes) and inhuman (no), nevertheless it is irrelevant to the text.

-drl
New Why?
Diane D. Rath is Chair and Commissioner representing the public for the Texas Workforce Commission. [link|http://www.twc.state.tx.us/twcinfo/twcbio.html|Governor George W. Bush appointed her] in 1996.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Governors set the tone for a State's government. In theory.
Bush governed Texas. His attitude towards the perfection of Texas' judicial system is exemplified by his unwillingness to grant any exceptions to (Texas' highest of all states' execution rate). As of last year there remained at least one person on Texas' death row, waiting still to present exculpatory DNA evidence. He may or may not be dead today. (If the facts were reported with the accuracy claimed).

Texas' judicial system sets the basis for the above story, that department's policies - and their persistence: only massive public outcry caused any deviation - and the new rules will Not be applied to others in similar circumstances. (If the facts were reported with the accuracy claimed) Bush left there to govern US.

Is that relevant-smarmy enough? Speaking of smarmy - who mentioned Clinton gratuitously - what did he do to, for, about Texas? Self-adsorption - is that about Yuppie lifestyles or political slogans.

I know Dreiser. This is more Vidal. Did you read In The American Grain or It Can't Happen Here ?

Ashton
New My I never cross swords with you ;-)
New Gush?
re: "The training grounds of our Selected Resident"

Stop complaining about the Florida thing, will ya? It was a very close call and both sides have some suspicious actions on their list.

What do you want, a tie? Two presidents? One half Gore and one half Bush? Should it be called Gush or Bore?

Enuf already.
It ain't about the "better" of the two - it's about a USSC coup d'etat: which to perform, the *Five had to act in opposition to all previous of their own rulings re state/fed power. My opinion? yes - but also that of a number of Demo and Repo Head Legal profs in very Expen$ive Universities.

* that's Four + Scalia's puppet

A coup is not to be later dismissed as an 'aberration'; not worry pretty litttle heads - not given *our* Constitution. This was blatant.

Ashton

File this under "Unbelieveable!" - (lincoln) - (7)
         The training grounds of our Selected Resident. -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
             Re: The training grounds of our Selected Resident. - (deSitter) - (3)
                 Why? - (a6l6e6x)
                 Governors set the tone for a State's government. In theory. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     My I never cross swords with you ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Gush? - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Then stop missing the point - - (Ashton)

i only type in lowercase because i hate capitalism.
54 ms