IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A better example might be Polaroid.
They had unique technology. They were the world leaders in their field (instant photography). They were able to protect their lead in the face of competition from a larger rival (Kodak).

But technology changed around them. They certainly could see it coming, and they knew their traditional rival and many big semiconductor electronics companies were investing in it.

But they failed to change in the face of the steady development of large, inexpensive, CCD imagers.

They also had quality control problems that annoyed the customers of their oscilloscope and microscope cameras (e.g. it was rare to get a box of Type 53 B&W film that had 10 good exposures). And at $1+ an exposure, their customers were pushed to investigate other options.

MS is able to change on a dime compared to companies that sell real things with an established technology base. MS's monopoly tax allows them to invest in dozens of alternative futures, something that most companies can't.

I wouldn't count on MS failing. And even if they do in their software stuff, they'll be around in some form or other, taxing the industry as much as they possibly can. E.g. they're doing their best to gain complete control over the hardware specifications.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The chapter was written in the late 90's
Therefore the subject of electric cars was on a lot of people's minds because of California.

It just happened to work for him because electric cars show the basic ingredients of a disruptive technology. There is no way in hell that they meet the minimum needs for a car today. Yet projected rates of technological development make it clear that they will do so, and not that far from now.

GM wiped out by someone currently manufacturing electric golf carts or dune buggies? Don't laugh. It could happen. Hell, Honda did it to the traditional motorcycle makers after establishing themselves with dirt bikes (though Harley did manage to survive in a high-end niche).

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Long Distance Carriers in trouble? - (orion) - (34)
         Re: Long Distance Carriers in trouble? - (wharris2) - (1)
             Truth be told - (orion)
         LD telecoms - (boxley) - (31)
             What's killing technology and telecom... - (gdaustin) - (30)
                 Not sure I agree with all of it - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                     Ulterior motive. - (inthane-chan)
                     Why Telcos Can't Make a Profit - (gdaustin) - (27)
                         More reasons - (JayMehaffey) - (22)
                             The best that they can do - (orion)
                             softswitched with class 5 features - (boxley) - (20)
                                 How many companies need a Class 5 phone switch? - (gdaustin) - (19)
                                     This reminds me of a book I need to post in Reviews... - (ben_tilly)
                                     I don't think it's that simple. - (static) - (16)
                                         It *IS* that simple - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                             Peter Principle in hardware? - (Ashton)
                                             LRPD: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?:\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                             Unstated assumptions. - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                                 It is not about complaining - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                                     Understand that nothing goes on forever. - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                         Of course we have real-world examples - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                             How many weight lifters win the 100m dash? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                 Do you ever stop thinking that you have all of the answers? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                     Uh... Do *you*?!? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                         Yes - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                             Hmmyeah... Could be I forgot; sorry. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                             There's a Somerset Maugham story.. - (Ashton)
                                                                 A better example might be Polaroid. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     The chapter was written in the late 90's - (ben_tilly)
                                                             Re: Of course we have real-world examples - (deSitter)
                                     Siemens HiPath - (boxley)
                         Re: Why Telcos Can't Make a Profit - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Costs... - (gdaustin) - (2)
                                 I see similarities here. - (static)
                                 That's why I'm paying $70/mo for DSL - (tonytib)

7.8 on the Richter scale.
57 ms