IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It is not about complaining
It is about the periodic wiping out of entire industries and most of the companies in them. Even when the CEOs of said companies know damned well what is happening and actively trying to resist.

While I know how prone you are to considering everyone else stupid, there really is something more than simple stupidity going on here. And if you care to read the book in question first, I would be willing to discuss it with you. But not until because I don't see the point until you have read a dozen case histories where firms wound up annihilated by technologies that they knew about, which they tried to proactively address, and the reasons why they couldn't succeed.

But I won't bother until you have actually read it because your oversimplifying tendancy means that you don't currently have a clue WTF I mean by things like, "The value network a company finds itself embedded in defines its abilities and disabilities." Or, "Organizations need to be appropriately sized to their opportunities." (Both principles being critical for why CEOs who know damned well what they need their companies to do still don't succeed.)

Cheers,
Ben

PS Your items 1 and 2 for the established companies are sheer suicide. I know that they seem reasonable, but if you understand the dynamics at work, that is how you cut your throat. A hint. People who you can actually find new needs to satisfy are not the customers you are about to lose, and adding features raises costs so that you have not a hope of competing on price. (However every time you do that you manage to increase revenues and look like a genius, right until your company self-destructs.)
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Understand that nothing goes on forever.
It is about the periodic wiping out of entire industries and most of the companies in them.
Nothing lasts forever. Old industries are replaced by new industries.

But not until because I don't see the point until you have read a dozen case histories where firms wound up annihilated by technologies that they knew about, which they tried to proactively address, and the reasons why they couldn't succeed.
Look around. We have real world examples happening right now.

Again, technology tends toward commoditization (if that is a word).

The market you have today, will not be around forever.

Understand the cycle.

I should have put "or" between those numbers. They do not depend upon each other.

I'll read the book. When the library gets it. I've read way too many books on business cycles and disruptive technologies and commodities and TQA and six sigma and so forth.

To put it in simple terms, nothing lives forever. One day, your product or company or market or industry will die and/or be replaced by the new product or company or market or industry.

What's the best you can do with your product and company in your market / industry before one or more of them die?

And do you have an exit strategy?

Now, I'll see how (or if) my views change after reading that book.
New Of course we have real-world examples
Lots of them. Two examples that come to mind are Sun and Microsoft.

That is why I found the book interesting. Because it helped me understand something that I had seen, had seen commented on, but which I hadn't understood. Which is why well-funded companies run by intelligent people who undoubtable see how it is all bound to end are consistently unable to avoid becoming roadkill.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New How many weight lifters win the 100m dash?
They see it. They understand the impact.

But they are designed and optimized for one specific approach.

Theoretically, there will be an inflection point.

If they could see that...
-and-
CORRECTLY predict the new market
-and-
CORRECTLY re-structure their company
-then-
They could succeed in the new market.

The problem is that while it is possible to see the change coming, it is very difficult to predict what the new market will be like.

Real world example: MS vs Linux. The changes (there are a few) are already hitting us. We know that the old approach will no longer be viable (for a number of reasons) in the new market.

But no one (except IBM?) has been able to put together a company that can exploit the new market (translation: turn a reliable profit).

Once the changes have swept over us and the old approach is dead, many new approaches will be tried (and many will fail).

Eventually, someone will formulate an approach and a structure that will extract a reliable profit from the new market.

In hindsight, this will be "obvious". :)

But, during the change, people are still trained to think in the old modes. They still see things as they were BEFORE the change. They are trying to fit the NEW model to their OLD model and they're getting confused by the bits that don't fit.

:)

Explaining it is simple.

Being able to exploit it or giving advice on how to exploit it is hard.

:)

Again, MS vs Linux. I think the new model will REQUIRE Internet access to centralized databases but de-centralized distribution points. You won't pay for the software, but you'll pay for the service to keep updated. Nickel and dime them. Internet access is the key. Without that, you don't need to stay current. But everyone will be connected because other things they do will require it. So everyone will need to stay current. Give away the shaver and sell the blades. Cheaply. So cheaply that people won't even blink when charged.

Compare that to the current system of selling the original package for hundreds or thousands of dollars and then planning to do the same in a few years (upgrades).

And that's why they're road kill. That big of a change simply does not happen in companies.

MS is attempting it, though. Bill Gates is a marketing genius (despite his other flaws). But they will fail. The new approach does not generate the revenues that the old approach did. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Thought exercise. Suppose MS, on Monday, announced that all versions of Windows would be $10 (per mac address). And for that price, you'd get 1 year of free updates. You could install whatever version of Windows you wanted and have the latest security patches. For another $10 (per mac address), you could install whatever version of MSOffice you wanted (and have free updates for a year). Of course, the file formats would change once a year. And MS would even sell you a caching server if you wanted one.

What would that do to their company short term and long term?

And that is what it means to be able to see the inflection point and to be able to predict the future market and how to exploit it.

Road kill happens because the weight lifter cannot become a runner over night.
New Do you ever stop thinking that you have all of the answers?
Please take this as it is meant. The biggest barrier for anyone in learning anything new is unlearning what they think they know. Particularly when they do have a partial picture that is somewhat accurate in so far as it goes. That is a tendency that I have had to fight, and one that I strongly see you as having.

Your comment about not being able to restructure on a dime is accurate. Your two CORRECTLYs are accurately judged nearly impossible, and attested to by a trail of corpses. (The one success he identified resulted in the burnout of the CEO who succeeded, and a large fraction of the company along with him. The company did, however, survive a transition that killecd.)

Therefore it sucks to be the established company, no hope. Right?

However despite the impossibility of getting your CORRECTLY right, there is a strategy which has worked for several companies and seems likely to be able to continue to work. And it isn't even hard advice to give. Proof: after analysis of what various CEOs have tried, what hasn't worked, and what has, he gives the necessary advice and spends a sample chapter on how automobile companies should address the challenge of electric cars. (At current rates of technological progress they will become an issue around 2030, give or take a decade.)

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
Expand Edited by ben_tilly July 30, 2002, 06:34:59 AM EDT
New Uh... Do *you*?!?
'Coz, really, Ben... If there's *anyone*[*] here who can challenge Brandi in the "thinking you have all the answers" department, I'd have thought it was you.

Allow me to quote you, "Please take this as it is meant"... Just drop the 'had' from your "tendancy[sic] that I have had to fight", and you'll be absolutely right, AFAICS[**].
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]

[*]: Besides *me*, of course! :-)

[**]: If you come up with any good methods to do that, mail 'em to me!
New Yes
I may know a bit about a lot of things, but I have also learned to be very fast about saying up front when I don't know about something.

Ironically people seem to forget when I say that. But they don't forget if they later see me mention something that I learned from the exchange. And they misinterpret the many times that I say that to myself, respond with a Google search, and then suggest a few relevant links that I found.

So..even the technique that I have found best for handling a "know it all" tendancy (which, as I said to Brandi, is one that I have to fight) doesn't do very well at fighting the appearance of being a know-it-all!

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New Hmmyeah... Could be I forgot; sorry.
New There's a Somerset Maugham story..
First - yes I recall your prefacing certain comments as above; perhaps we each should boilerplate that before Any political, religious ... er Any? comment about other than ~

"F=MA is both accurate and adequate, sub-relativistic."

Mr. Knowall, the story - was rendered also in a film ('40s? '50s) called Quartet IIRC. (There was a Trio too)

Scenario: a luxury liner, usual assortment of toffs engaged at dinner in witty upperclass Brit-speak - amusing and one-upping each other (though hardly at an Oscar W level). Title character happens to be a ..not so much 'jeweler' as gem expert. A rather brash one.

When his specialty is mentioned, he's asked some questions and then someone looks for examples - it's been questioned whether he's Really that good at ferreting out 'fakes'.

Attention turns to a Lady at the table, wearing a necklace. Mr. K. turns his gaze to her. At a distance of a few people, he pronounces them 'genuine'.. but as he approaches she demurs about the inspection with some weak reason. Yet all & sundry press for the 'example'.

As Mr. Knowall approaches ['we' see..] a flash of stark [horror?] cross her face.

Mr. K examines carefully the necklace ... [We see both their faces but we can not be sure what each is seeing of the other.]

Mr. Knowall then admits, "no I was mistaken - it's a very good imitation, indeed!"

In fact.. it was a present from the Lady's lover; naturally she dare not reveal its considerable value - as a quite genuine set of diamonds - to her husband. (Unclear how 'previous' was this lover, in the story IIRC, nor does that matter)

Ergo.. for all his vanity and brashness - Mr. K. proved both observant and kind. No one would have suspected this quality from his previous behaviour BTW. Maugham was a Genius about homo-saps IMhO.

I've always remembered this story as a polished jewel about precisely when: one must 'lose' an argument or forget one's expertise - where humans are involved. (Not that I always remember to Remember it, of course; being at least partially homo-sap also ;)

Ashton
New A better example might be Polaroid.
They had unique technology. They were the world leaders in their field (instant photography). They were able to protect their lead in the face of competition from a larger rival (Kodak).

But technology changed around them. They certainly could see it coming, and they knew their traditional rival and many big semiconductor electronics companies were investing in it.

But they failed to change in the face of the steady development of large, inexpensive, CCD imagers.

They also had quality control problems that annoyed the customers of their oscilloscope and microscope cameras (e.g. it was rare to get a box of Type 53 B&W film that had 10 good exposures). And at $1+ an exposure, their customers were pushed to investigate other options.

MS is able to change on a dime compared to companies that sell real things with an established technology base. MS's monopoly tax allows them to invest in dozens of alternative futures, something that most companies can't.

I wouldn't count on MS failing. And even if they do in their software stuff, they'll be around in some form or other, taxing the industry as much as they possibly can. E.g. they're doing their best to gain complete control over the hardware specifications.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The chapter was written in the late 90's
Therefore the subject of electric cars was on a lot of people's minds because of California.

It just happened to work for him because electric cars show the basic ingredients of a disruptive technology. There is no way in hell that they meet the minimum needs for a car today. Yet projected rates of technological development make it clear that they will do so, and not that far from now.

GM wiped out by someone currently manufacturing electric golf carts or dune buggies? Don't laugh. It could happen. Hell, Honda did it to the traditional motorcycle makers after establishing themselves with dirt bikes (though Harley did manage to survive in a high-end niche).

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New Re: Of course we have real-world examples
Strange, the same scenario often precedes wars, which never simply "happen", but occur after a long buildup of destructive pressure. The bright people see them coming yet are somehow powerless to stop them.

-drl
     Long Distance Carriers in trouble? - (orion) - (34)
         Re: Long Distance Carriers in trouble? - (wharris2) - (1)
             Truth be told - (orion)
         LD telecoms - (boxley) - (31)
             What's killing technology and telecom... - (gdaustin) - (30)
                 Not sure I agree with all of it - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                     Ulterior motive. - (inthane-chan)
                     Why Telcos Can't Make a Profit - (gdaustin) - (27)
                         More reasons - (JayMehaffey) - (22)
                             The best that they can do - (orion)
                             softswitched with class 5 features - (boxley) - (20)
                                 How many companies need a Class 5 phone switch? - (gdaustin) - (19)
                                     This reminds me of a book I need to post in Reviews... - (ben_tilly)
                                     I don't think it's that simple. - (static) - (16)
                                         It *IS* that simple - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                             Peter Principle in hardware? - (Ashton)
                                             LRPD: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?:\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                             Unstated assumptions. - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                                 It is not about complaining - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                                     Understand that nothing goes on forever. - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                         Of course we have real-world examples - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                             How many weight lifters win the 100m dash? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                 Do you ever stop thinking that you have all of the answers? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                     Uh... Do *you*?!? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                         Yes - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                             Hmmyeah... Could be I forgot; sorry. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                             There's a Somerset Maugham story.. - (Ashton)
                                                                 A better example might be Polaroid. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     The chapter was written in the late 90's - (ben_tilly)
                                                             Re: Of course we have real-world examples - (deSitter)
                                     Siemens HiPath - (boxley)
                         Re: Why Telcos Can't Make a Profit - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Costs... - (gdaustin) - (2)
                                 I see similarities here. - (static)
                                 That's why I'm paying $70/mo for DSL - (tonytib)

Must be what keeps your hair up.
99 ms