IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That is precisely why we did it.
Using nukes had nothing at all to do with "saving lives" Japanese or American.

We used nuclear arms on cities to send the Russians a message: "Don't expand eastward and stop where you are in Europe."

Anyone claiming that we used nukes against civilians for any other purpose is completely ill-informed.

And that, Ashton, does make us ethically, morally challenged.
New Well it is a major factor; not the single one.
I'm aware of the threat of Russian entre into Japan. Maybe that alone could have been sufficient a reason, given the general madness in all players.. after 4 years (for US) to 6 years for Europeans.

But the invasion loss prospect was stark also - and that underscored even more the exhaustion: moving battle-weary Euro. troops to Pacific?

So I deem - we cannot today separate-out any One causality of the decision; humans made it and all human decisions are forever Iffy. (Only in 'debates' do we imagine that logic has much to do with *those*.)

Ashton
New Sending Russians a message might have been
a worthwile thing too. Millions would have been lost in invading Japan. Tens of millions would have been lost in a war between Russia and Allies.Or would you rather cede more countries to Russia? Greece was a prime candidate. How about Iran? Not sure if Turkey was in the plans too.And in all those places, Stalin would have been killing by millions (oh, that word again! "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." I. V. Stalin).
New Interesting thought.
Would it be better to have Bolsheviks run Iran or Mullahs?

Your point is well taken about the other countries though ;-)
     10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
         Excellent! Bookmarked. Thanks, Mike. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         take a couple of issues - (boxley) - (3)
             Well, he does say the following: - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 why do you think we call them cousins - (boxley)
             Mixing religion and politics. - (Brandioch)
         Re: 10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam. - (Arkadiy) - (15)
             Re: how bad is USA - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                 USSR was not in a shooting war with China - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Doesn't mean nukes weren't under consideration. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         My point is, US had more reasons to use nukes. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             My problem with that is... - (mmoffitt)
                 Re: how bad is USA?____ Not *that* bad.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                     It was a war crime. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                         Yes it was, though most nations have become - (Ashton) - (1)
                             And the threat. Don't forget the threat. - (mmoffitt)
                 One viewpoint (out of millions) from Japan. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                     I've heard this viewpoint expressed also. - (Ashton)
                     That is precisely why we did it. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Well it is a major factor; not the single one. - (Ashton)
                         Sending Russians a message might have been - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             Interesting thought. - (mmoffitt)
         Seems to be a lot of morons in the world.... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             However nice the theory is . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         LRPD: History shows again and again how Nature points out - (Ashton) - (1)
             Re: LRPD: History shows again and again... - (jb4)

Kilroy was here.
56 ms