IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam.
[link|http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp0724.html|A Ten Point Primer on Islam]

The Islamic world remembers the Crusades; George Bush, like many Americans, is clueless about them. Hence his amazingly dim-witted reference to the "War on Terrorism" as a "Crusade" last September 16-a statement that produced immediate, widespread outrage in the Muslim world. No offense intended, no doubt. But such ignorance, in action, in a world where religious prejudice generates idiotic action from Belfast, to the Balkans, to Gujarat, to the Moluccas, is perilous ignorance indeed.

(Aside: Anyone from Politics want to argue he's not a moron now?)

bcnu,
Mikem
New Excellent! Bookmarked. Thanks, Mike.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New take a couple of issues
10. complete disagreement but dont need to go into details as everyone here knows my position.
No mention of DHIMME spelling off. The need to address all non muslims as second class citizens taxed more and harsher treatment under the law than a Muslim. To all Muslims we should be treated like we treated the black community under Jim Crow. They want to spread their belief worldwide. No problem cause the xians also wish to do that but dont think this policy of dhimme and the american constitution go together very well so we are NATURAL enemies of muslims.
my 2 cents,
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Well, he does say the following:
Some (including non-religious people in or from Muslim countries) criticize Islam (appropriately, in my view) for what they consider backward and reactionary features. This is not the place to deal with such criticisms, nor am I the right person to do it. I will merely observe what many others have observed: Christendom underwent the Enlightenment-an evolution towards secularism, rationalism, and scientific thought in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries-which the Islamic world, in general, has not yet experienced. To become "modern" (more specifically, to become capitalist), the West had to become more ideologically tolerant (i.e., less religious), and allow a freer market in ideas than had been possible when the Church monopolized learning. If mullahs monopolize education in much of the Muslim world, they serve a function identical with that of Europe's medieval Catholic clergy.
This is more general than the specific criticism you cite, but it's the same ground.

Your position on 10 is equivalent to "My Country, right or wrong.". Turn off the thinking part of the brain and turn on the feeling part. That gets you nowhere with anyone who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

And you had no trouble with "indigenous Palestinian people" in number 8? That's where bluke rolls out the Mark Twain and the uninhabited wasteland of Palestine. You know damn well you couldn't use a DNA test to differentiate a naked dead Israeli from a Palestinian. And looking for fleas in the beard doesn't count. :) They are the same fricken people! It is sibling rivalry writ large.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New why do you think we call them cousins
watch the cable show when rahman is on splainin horrorfat's latest ploy. Quite often he is called cousin by the israeli couterpoint.
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Mixing religion and politics.
Islam is not the problem.

The governments of the mid-east are not the problem.

When the governments of the mid-east try to become theocracies, there is the problem.

Why should a non-muslim be taxed more than a muslim, provided both are citizens of the same country?

Keep religion out of politics and you remove a LOT of the problem.

Then you're just left with racism, sexism and nationalism. :)
New Re: 10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam.
When I see this gem in the second paragraph: "American academe is---unfortunately--- whatever its right-wing critics may contend, not particularly left or anti-imperialist. " - the rest automatically comes under question.

Amazingly enough, the author is mostly correct factually. Almost everything, except number 10, rings true. My problem with the text is the obviousness of the author's intentions. He is not writing this to to help Christians and Jews better understand Muslims. He is writing the article to say, for the hundredth time, how bad is USA, right wing and Christianity. So, while I'll take his facts, I'd rather go to someone who understands Muslims, not someone who uses them to further his (barely related) political agenda.

New Re: how bad is USA
An outside observer of the world would note that the USA is not the only country that has nuclear weapons, nor is it the only country who had internal pressure to use them (for example, there was pressure in the CCCP to use nukes against China, but that was ruled out). However, the USA remains the only country to have ever used them and they targetted what? Cities. Tens of thousands of, perhaps as many as 200,000, civilians were killed in those two bombing attacks. Atrocious? Inhuman? Not according to the Murican people. Even today a good many Muricans (perhaps a majority) maintain that the use of nuclear weapons against Japan was "justified" notwithstanding all the civilian casualties. These same people were "horrified" at 9/11, despite the fact that the number of deaths in those attacks were trivial by comparison. And the Murican President maintains a popularity rating in the 60's, highest in his handling of foreign matters. This despite the fact that even by the understated "official" numbers, we've killed more Afghani civilians than civilians who were killed here on 9/11 - this despite the fact that NONE of the hijackers responsible for the US dead were Afghani.

Given these facts, and this is by no means a comprehensive list of examples, it may well be argued that the Murican government AND the majority of the Murican people are the most ethically and morally challenged people on the planet.

The point the author is trying to make, however, is not "how bad is USA"; rather it is "we are not much different from them".
New USSR was not in a shooting war with China
(if you discount one border incident). USSR was not facing the prospect of driving to Peking through heavily defended terrain, losing millions more than necessary and killinng millions more.

It infuriates me no end when someone said that US is somehow less moral for not using nuclear weapons. Firebombing of Tokyo and destruction of Dresden were accomplished with conventional weapons, yet more lives were lost. German army robbed and raped through half of Russia, starved Leningrad, destroyed cities by dozens. Red army was much worse as it went the other way. US, in comparison, was smelling like roses, internement of Japanese citizen and all.

I don't have time now to discuss the Afghan campain now - hopefully later. My point was that the article's author doesn't give a rat's ass about Islam or Muslims. He simply wants to drag US in the durt one more time. An admirable goal, if done sincerely. He is not. He pretends to enlighten me about Islam, while advancing his own tired and "true" agenda.
New Doesn't mean nukes weren't under consideration.

A State Department memorandum of conversation, published here for the first time, recounts one of the more extraordinary moments in Cold War history--a KGB officer's query about the U.S. reaction to a hypothetical Soviet attack on Chinese nuclear weapons facilities. Also included is a recently declassified report warning of the danger of a Soviet attack on China, written for Henry Kissinger by the influential China watcher Allen S. Whiting.

[link|http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB49/|But they didn't]
New My point is, US had more reasons to use nukes.
New My problem with that is...
that I am deeply troubled that *any* reason could be considered valid for the extermination of hundreds of thousands of civilians. (And yes, that includes what I think the "real reason" was below). I do not accept the premise that you overcome an adversary by becoming just like him.
New Re: how bad is USA?____ Not *that* bad..
Personally I find the Strangelovian fascination *since* our first-use of Fat Man & Little Boy the vastly more ominous matter. (YAN example of how we'll choose Disneyland names for horrific infernal machines: cf. also Ronnie's Peacekeeper ... inane name for a fully MIRV-ed initiator of Doomsday)

It's been >50 years. Everyone *always* screws up the first application of.. damn near anything unprecedented. My view is that - while there were (and are) a significant slice of Muricans who deem anyone alien (and not WASP) as utterly expendable cannon fodder: the exigencies of somehow ending the war at Japanese mainland was a matter as horrific as the new weapons.

Estimates of the casualties on both sides - facing NOT 'military forces' alone, but an entire population quite apparently willing to suicide for 'Honor' -- was what Truman / we faced. And whatever was suspected of the dueling factions within the Japanese govt. just then?

I submit: merely contrast our 'Japan knowledge' with just how badly we called (say) the scenario of German nuke development: and hey! the CIA (then called the OSS) HAD actual people working for them, not toy satellites with Nintendo warriors. But no one was sure just how much Heisenberg had deduced, nor whether in fact he was truly supporting the development. (Much remains unclear today! and the principals are dead).

Only in 20/20 can one pick to cynical death - the decision to 'demo' these bombs.. somehow evade the bloodbath of invasion. It can be argued as effectively: these bombs saved millions of heaped dead burned bodies - most of those Japanese.

If it wasn't our Finest Hour neither was it an act of overt barbarism: *THAT* was the mindset of the seriously entertained First Strike scenario.. ever just under the surface during cold war. Annihilate them First because maybe they might.. try the same.

(But that MADness too was species-wide and not just a Murican bestiality. It exists right this minute in silos and subs. <2 minutes response time 7/29/02.)

Ashton
It remains a MAD world. We remain a MAD species. Nothing much has changed.
New It was a war crime.
We deliberately targetted a city. Not a factory. A city. We knew we'd be killing civilians.
-BUT-
Just because it was a war crime does NOT mean it was "wrong".

"Right" and "Wrong" are value judgements.

To determine whether it was "right" or "wrong" means you have to weigh the fact that Japan attacked us first (some question as to why) and that Japan would, seemingly, continue to attack us and that, should we invade the main island, BOTH of our sides would take heavy casualties (possibly heavier than the nukes themselves).

The end does not justify the means.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

and so forth.

It was a crime. We had a debt to the victims of our crime (as their country had a debt to our's for their attack on us).

Whether we have paid that debt or not is a matter of indivual consideration.

Life is complicated.
New Yes it was, though most nations have become
war criminals - since about the time that random bombing of cities in WW-II was justified because "manufacturing occurred somewhere within them". When the Germans moved much critical mfg. to underground sites, I note that there was no moratorium on cities: afterwards.

Hiroshima had a military base of a sort (been so long I've forgotten if navy or what). Dunno if Nagasaki had such a putative justification.

Since 'nations' are indeed amoral, so long as there exists no actually adhered-to protocol + enforcement of such planet-wide: we see that all our fine words + $3.25 can get a Mocha Java at some fast-coffee kiosk.

Adolescence can be a terrible time - especially when it lasts for centuries.

Ashton
New And the threat. Don't forget the threat.
McArthur was fired for the very same reason we used nukes. The thing the General forgot, and Harry forgot was that "The object of war is peace." Not unconditional surrender, peace. Don't forget about the Paris meetings to discuss "terms of surrender." And for heavens sake, let's not forget that we told them, "You surrender unconditionally or we will use the Bomb on Tokyo next." The bluff worked, we'd already blown our wad by then.

You can make the claim that "well, gosh, we didn't really know how bad it would be" on the first one (an argument I find reprehensible, for if you don't know what's going to happen, why use it on a city at all?) but you cannot make that claim for the second one.

(Aside: In an advanced placement history class way back in high school, I successfully prosecuted Harry for war crimes - it may have been my finest hour ;-)
New One viewpoint (out of millions) from Japan.
In 1989, I visited Hiroshima on August 1st. While I won't go into details, I will say the visit left me emotionally drained, and at tears occasionally.

On my way out of the city, I struck up a conversation with a Japanese man - obviously native, due to a combination of accent and attitude I picked up from him - who claimed that some of his family had died in Hiroshima. He actually said that most people in Japan were grateful(!) for the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings - because it kept the USSR from "partitioning" Japan in much the way Germany was partitioned. Japan and Russia are still at loggerheads over some islands - believe the name is the Kurile Islands, just confirmed via Google - and this individual believed that if the U.S. had not caused the unconditional surrender of Japan, that the U.S.S.R. could have ended up controlling half, if not more, of modern Japan.

I honestly don't know what to make of his attitude. To me, the reason to truly Fear the bomb isn't that it's based on atomic energy, but it's tremendous destructive potential in such a small, efficient package makes industrial-scale destruction that much easier to wreak. When you have to send thousands to die to wipe out your "enemy" - there will be some hue and cry. If all you have to do is press a button, well, people are going to be a lot less noisy about it...
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
New I've heard this viewpoint expressed also.
And like you - have no 'stats' to estimate how widespread in Japan was? / still is? this angle of a "devil's tradeoff" -- which seems to me a lot like chemotherapy: poison the liver and other organs; almost destroy the immune system itself - just almost to the point.. where you die from that: to poison something you want to go away!

We sure are a scary bunch - whenever we get hold of anything more effective than say, a (short) bow and arrows. Does that mean we'll be scary right up to the end?

A.
New That is precisely why we did it.
Using nukes had nothing at all to do with "saving lives" Japanese or American.

We used nuclear arms on cities to send the Russians a message: "Don't expand eastward and stop where you are in Europe."

Anyone claiming that we used nukes against civilians for any other purpose is completely ill-informed.

And that, Ashton, does make us ethically, morally challenged.
New Well it is a major factor; not the single one.
I'm aware of the threat of Russian entre into Japan. Maybe that alone could have been sufficient a reason, given the general madness in all players.. after 4 years (for US) to 6 years for Europeans.

But the invasion loss prospect was stark also - and that underscored even more the exhaustion: moving battle-weary Euro. troops to Pacific?

So I deem - we cannot today separate-out any One causality of the decision; humans made it and all human decisions are forever Iffy. (Only in 'debates' do we imagine that logic has much to do with *those*.)

Ashton
New Sending Russians a message might have been
a worthwile thing too. Millions would have been lost in invading Japan. Tens of millions would have been lost in a war between Russia and Allies.Or would you rather cede more countries to Russia? Greece was a prime candidate. How about Iran? Not sure if Turkey was in the plans too.And in all those places, Stalin would have been killing by millions (oh, that word again! "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." I. V. Stalin).
New Interesting thought.
Would it be better to have Bolsheviks run Iran or Mullahs?

Your point is well taken about the other countries though ;-)
New Seems to be a lot of morons in the world....
Lest everyone think this is exclusively an American disease, let's not forget that:

1). Islamic fundamentalist have chosen war and terror against a lot of non-Americans. Here's a brief list:

- India => Pakistan, Kashmir
- China => Eastern Turkestan
- Russia, Georgia => Chechnya, Pankisi Gorge
- Cental Asia Republics (Uzbekistan, Tajikistan) => various
- Serbia (Yugoslavia) => Bosnia, Macedonia, etc
- Philippines => Abu Sayyaf
- East Timor => Indonesia
- Israel => Palestinians
- Minorities => Kurds, Armenians, Bahais, Coptics, Christians, etc... => Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Nigeria, etc... (not to mention Sunni Shia conflicts)

The only countries conspicously absent from this list are in West Europe, but even there, Islamic terrorists are active and constantly trying to indiscriminately kill.

2). There's not a single Islamic government in the world that is worth a damn. Little or no democracy, political and economic freedom. (Try to get a beer in any of those shitholes of a country). Now I could understand an armed revolt to overthrow these worthless governments by the citizens of those countries. Instead of doing that though, these people are constantly blaming all their problems on Israel and the West. Seems that instead of reforming their own governments to provide more freedom, what the Islamic fundamentalist really desires is to put everyone that lives in their vicinity under Sharia.

Granted, there are a lot of other groups in the world that have their own brand of assholes, but Islam seems to have a much higher percentage than any other way that you can classify groups (at least in the modern world).
New However nice the theory is . .
. . what you always end up dealing with is the implementation.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New LRPD: History shows again and again how Nature points out
the folly of men.
New Re: LRPD: History shows again and again...
...how Nature points out the folly of men...

Dah DAAAHH dah...

Godzilla!
jb4
"I remember Harry S. Truman's sign on his desk. 'The buck stops here.' Strange how those words, while still true, mean something completely different today." -- Brandioch
     10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
         Excellent! Bookmarked. Thanks, Mike. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         take a couple of issues - (boxley) - (3)
             Well, he does say the following: - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 why do you think we call them cousins - (boxley)
             Mixing religion and politics. - (Brandioch)
         Re: 10 Things All Muricans should know about Islam. - (Arkadiy) - (15)
             Re: how bad is USA - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                 USSR was not in a shooting war with China - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Doesn't mean nukes weren't under consideration. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         My point is, US had more reasons to use nukes. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             My problem with that is... - (mmoffitt)
                 Re: how bad is USA?____ Not *that* bad.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                     It was a war crime. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                         Yes it was, though most nations have become - (Ashton) - (1)
                             And the threat. Don't forget the threat. - (mmoffitt)
                 One viewpoint (out of millions) from Japan. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                     I've heard this viewpoint expressed also. - (Ashton)
                     That is precisely why we did it. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Well it is a major factor; not the single one. - (Ashton)
                         Sending Russians a message might have been - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             Interesting thought. - (mmoffitt)
         Seems to be a lot of morons in the world.... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             However nice the theory is . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         LRPD: History shows again and again how Nature points out - (Ashton) - (1)
             Re: LRPD: History shows again and again... - (jb4)

And damn, but I wanted to get involved with a land war in Asia.
293 ms