IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Consider this
Apple makes a special brand of Mac, one with dual processors. One PowerPC and the other X86. The system can use the X86 chip as a co-processor, or to run WINTEL code. During bootup a special key can be hit to go into "PC Mode" and boot PC operating systems natively. Under OSX the X86 chip can be used while the PowerPC chip is in "Supervisor" mode to assign tasks to the X86 chip to take the workload off the main CPU. Sort of like what the Amiga used to do. Using WINE, OSX can use the X86 chip to run DOS and Windows programs side-by-side with Mac programs. Apple even can make a virtual machine that uses the X86 chip to run X86 operating systems inside a Window of OSX. Older Macs could get a PCI card with an AMD chip on it to act as a co-processor. Sort of like those old Amiga Bridgecards, or those Orange Micro PC cards for the older Macs. Sure it would raise the price of some Macs, but it would help Apple get a better foothold into the X86 market, which is way bigger than the PowerMac market.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Why?
I don't get what this gets me. The ability to run windows? Don't want to.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
New What it gets
is it gets Apple into IT Shops that they normally wouldn't get into, because the new Macs can run Windows software and are virtually a PC. Many IT shops prohibit buying of Macintoshes, but if the new Mac is more like a PC, it might get accepted over the PowerMac.

It would also save Mac Users from having to buy RealPC or VirtualPC if the Mac ran Windows code natively. Even with OSX, it can get libraries added to run Linux X86 ELF binaries.

New Okay, let's see if I have this straight

I'm in charge of IT in a Windows-majority shop. Our policy is not to purchase or support Macs. Now you're saying that if Apple produces an x86-based Mac which runs Windows code, I'll fall all over myself to buy that instead of a much more reasonably priced Wintel box?

Not to mention that by running Windows software, Microsoft will have Apple even more by the short-and-curlies than they do now.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Sorry must be silly.
About as silly as Atari and Commodore making PC Clones. Nobody will want to buy them because of the name.

OSX port to X86 chips by end of year? - (orion) - (17)
         Well, if you think Mac users are complaining now... - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             It is only a possibility now - (orion)
         When pigs fly - (wharris2) - (6)
             Which is why I think - (orion) - (5)
                 But what about current machines? - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                     The way I see it - (orion)
                     Let me explain it another way, Dual Citizenship! - (orion) - (2)
                         Still can't see the added value - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                             Maybe I am wrong - (orion)
         There's no technical barrier - (tuberculosis)
         Consider this - (orion) - (4)
             Why? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 What it gets - (orion) - (2)
                     Okay, let's see if I have this straight - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Sorry must be silly. - (orion)
         Turns out, Yahoo took Jobs out of context - (orion)
         More on the OSX to X86 ports - (orion)

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul. Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
51 ms