IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Can't see anything particularly bad about that.
If gamers want their games prioritized, how the fuck else is that going to happen than by de-prioritizing everything but their games? It's a matter of allocating the finite processor capacity the device has. You can't accelerate the games to run at more than 100%, so you have to do it by putting everyhting else at less.

It's pretty inexcusable to throttle your own home screen, app store, browser, and other core 2D apps.
A) Sez who?
B) If you care mainly about games, then by definition you care less about those.
C) As long as you're playing some game, you're by definition not using those, so why the fuck would you care?
D) Those are the stuff that's most likely to be running besides your game, the low-hanging fruit. If they're not throttling those, then your game isn't going to be very prioritized.

If there is anything you want to be fast, it's the core phone interface.
A) Not while you're gaming and want that prioritized.
B) Phone processors are plenty fast nowadays, so your interface running ten percent slower on your new phone that's twenty percent faster than last year's is still faster than you need a static fucking home screen to be.
C) So fucking shut off "game optimization" after you're done playing your fucking game. D'oh!
D) (OK, it could perhaps do that automagically. Dunno why they don't do that.)

Right now, it looks like the only apps that get full power are the benchmark apps.
Yeah, stands to reason: The apps the world has decided to benchmark are apparently the apps the world cares about the perfomance of. How else are they supposed to know which apps to optimize for?

:: I really don't think that's anywhere near "a good reason to avoid Samsung phones across the board". If anything, it's a reason not to use "game optimization" unless you're a huge gamer dweeb, in which case it seems to do exactly what you're asking for.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Ack. Spit. Need a shower. CRC is 100% right
Can’t believe you made me say that, CRC!
New The only mystery is why you don't realise that more often. As in, all the time.
New Unless you have more information than me, you are merely mistaken and he is not right
I have no option on my phone to turn this off. If it exists at all. They talk about it being a service and I don't see any switches that allow me to get rid of it. If it is here at all. That article certainly never mentioned anything about the ability to turn it off.
New Can you not delete the game app?
Then re-install the app when needed.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New No game apps here
The point of the article was that they are ramping down pretty much everything except for their identified benchmark apps. Benchmark apps are part of games. So if a game benchmark runs fast the phone looks good. But they also want to keep the battery usage down. So they're constantly choking down everything except what would make them look good on a comparison chart.

Doesn't matter to me. I use that phone for a single app and I don't give a s***. At least not much of a s***. Enough to be annoyed every time I pick it up. But I only pick it up once a week for about 5 minutes so it shouldn't really matter.
New Nerfing the desktop is stupid
Even if it helps the benchmarks run faster, a laggy UI is going to be noticable and will show up on every review.
--

Drew
New Questions
I don't see anywhere in the article, is the Game Optimizing Service something that you have the option to disable?

According to the article, it's not "the apps the world cares about the performance of" that get full speed, it's the benchmarking apps themselves. Even if this scheme is otherwise reasonable, throttling everything except the benchmark apps is at least a little questionable.
--

Drew
New Yup, seems I misread that last bit because I'd skimmed the rest a little too fast.
At least judging from the comments on that article and a couple of other articles linked from there. What irks me the most is that as a stickler for precise language, I managed to misinterprete "benchmark apps" as "apps included in a benchmark" in stead of what it plainly says, actual benchmark apps.

Yeah, OK, now it's quite a bit scummier.

I still can't be bothered to give all that much of a fuck, though. So this years phone isn't actually twenty percent faster than last years, only ten -- or maybe even only five -- but Samsung tried to make it look like theirs is, but everyone else's only ten.

A) Who gives a fuck? Phones are for surfing the Web nowadays. If a page loads in less than a minute and stays visible on the screen after that, that's enough.

B) "But my GAAAAMES!"? Buy a fucking XBox. Or PC or PS5, fuckdoiknow which is best. Fuckdoicare.

C) These are the same stupid shenanigans we've seen since the PC was born, or probably even before. You'd have to be born yesterday not to fucking expect it.

:: Ever tried using your phone as a, you know, PHONE? A 2011 Galaxy S2 works fine for that, and hey, it even lets you browse the Web.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I can easily tell the difference
And it's far far slower than the phone I had from 3 years ago. And I bought the bargain basement pixel of the time frame.

So I disagree with your attitude that my expectations are too high. My expectations were set from something from years ago. And it doesn't come close to them.

And I don't play games with it.
New 18 seconds
That's how long it takes me to hum the theme of Jeopardy including the final two bump bump. That is an absolute worst case scenario of how long something should take to come back.

Websites should load within about 2 seconds but I'll give them 18 seconds. Then I will abandon them.

When I coded interactive systems, two breaths was all I would allow for a result to return before figuring out how to do it faster or throw it into the background. I always targeted before someone lifted their hand off the enter key.

When I was doing that I was splitting a single 386 chip between 30 people with 16 megabytes of memory. It was running their full screen interface as well as everything else in the database. Everyone was running Oracle queries constantly simultaneously as well as updating the shared database. Everyone was typing into and the editorial interface running on that chip. The devices we hold in our hands are a hundred times more powerful. Non network local stuff should not lag in the slightest. Websites will lag depending on how stupid the people on the back end are combined with bad network connections and latency.

You said 60 seconds? I don't believe you. I think you get annoyed and frustrated after 20, possibly less. Start counting as you wait for web pages and get back to me. What's your real number?
New And then I remembered what this spiel reminded me of
Violins on television. Thank you, Emily.
     Samsung Galaxy a32 5G - (crazy) - (29)
         Jo has the "S" version of this phone - (pwhysall) - (11)
             I believe more expensive and not on the plan that I was allowed then it wouldn't have mattered - (crazy) - (10)
                 "on the plan that I was allowed" - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     Part of an accepted contract. - (crazy) - (8)
                         Yeah, but still: The fact that you have to accept such contracts. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             That's b*******. - (crazy) - (6)
                                 Ah, good. That's just not the picture you get from the outside. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                     I buy my own device, then get service from somebody else. - (InThane) - (4)
                                         A guy who worked at one of the biggest phone and Internet providers in Finland (actually... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                             This would be a reasonable opinion a few years back. - (crazy) - (2)
                                                 Not quite there yet - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                     I stopped thinking about that years ago - (crazy)
         You know that smart phones using Android are less safe than iPhones. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Yes I'm aware - (crazy)
         "I'll trust the cell tower (not like I have a choice) but not the random Wi-Fi." - (CRConrad) - (1)
             I don't trust my own network - (crazy)
         And here's a good reason to avoid Samsung phones across the board - (crazy) - (12)
             Can't see anything particularly bad about that. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                 Ack. Spit. Need a shower. CRC is 100% right - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     The only mystery is why you don't realise that more often. As in, all the time. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Unless you have more information than me, you are merely mistaken and he is not right - (crazy) - (3)
                         Can you not delete the game app? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             No game apps here - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Nerfing the desktop is stupid - (drook)
                 Questions - (drook) - (3)
                     Yup, seems I misread that last bit because I'd skimmed the rest a little too fast. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         I can easily tell the difference - (crazy)
                         18 seconds - (crazy)
                 And then I remembered what this spiel reminded me of - (crazy)

Coding all day leaves you in a state of mild aphasia as you look at people's faces while they're speaking and you don't know they've finished because there's no semicolon.
75 ms