IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I believe more expensive and not on the plan that I was allowed then it wouldn't have mattered
They didn't have anything else in stock.

I've had three Samsungs so far.

I've been very happy with all of them. I am only complaining about this specific phone.
New "on the plan that I was allowed"
For a place that always makes so much noise about being "The Land Of The Free" and how it's all about "The Free Market", the US telecoms market sure has some weird Soviet-style vibes. WTF does the network subscription have to do with the device? In free countries, those are separate markets.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 1, 2022, 07:29:52 AM EST
New Part of an accepted contract.
We are free to engage in open commerce with each party being free to assign responsibilities to themselves as part of a contract.

As a long-term customer of a particular company my wife gets a free phone every x years rather than has to pay for or put on a payoff plan. It's usually a reasonable free phone. Not top of the line, not crap, with choices.

If I was willing to wait 3 days I would have had any of my choices from the list, several of which were very nice. It didn't matter. I needed it then and I decided as a single purpose device it wasn't worth paying any upgrade fee on the phone itself, so I took the phone they had in stock. The one and only out of the list.

So it works perfectly fine for my purpose. I'm just giving a heads up that if anybody actually wanted to use it as a phone it's probably not the best idea.
New Yeah, but still: The fact that you have to accept such contracts.
To the extent that you take it for granted, as "just the normal way of doing business". ("You" as in Yanks in general, not just you you.)

Rather like not being able to buy a PC without paying a "Microsoft Tax". (Which AFAIk is still a fact of life, except for some [very] few model lines available with another OS, or without one.)

Monopolies, oligopolies, and other near-monopolies fuck up markets almost as good as the Soviets ever did.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New That's b*******.
Phones are advanced computers at this point. They are complex multifunction devices that are amazing for size and cost.

Anything in the 3 to $500 range is typically a reasonable device. Except for what I took that day. But that's okay. I made my choice.

They get fancy and expensive. At the $600 range they become amazing. At the $1,000 range it's beyond Star Trek. People buy them on contract because they don't want to lay down a thousand bucks. So the cell company finances it. Whoopie doo.

If you just want to buy one you can. People do it all the time. And then they drop a sim in it and attach to a given cell company. No big deal either.

These are choices. Either are reasonable depending on the situation.
New Ah, good. That's just not the picture you get from the outside.
Not living (or ever having been to) the US, I only see it from the outside, via the Internet. The impression I got was that buying a phone "off-contract" (is that what it's called?) and then getting a contract for it was nigh-impossible, if not technically then because they make "no-device" contracts so expensive that it's economically ultra-irrational. If it ain't so, then that's good. (Though I still suspect the big providers are ddoing their best to push things in that direction?)
--

Christian R. Conrad

New I buy my own device, then get service from somebody else.
Much cheaper that way IMO, and gives me flexibility to leave when I want. Currently using Mint Mobile (https://www.mintmobile.com/) which works pretty well for me and is cheap to boot.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New A guy who worked at one of the biggest phone and Internet providers in Finland (actually...
...actually my erstwhile phone and current Internet provider) -- they were our customer at my previous job, and he was our liasion for DW stuff -- once told me that of course he was subscribed to his employer's phone network, but whenever he needed a new device for himself or his family, he went to the competitors' websites and bought it from one of them. AIUI, so there would be no possibility of getting cught in a "bundle" deal. (Then he went and died -- he was just a few years older than me, and this was just a few years ago, so at pretty much the age I am now, I think -- and a while later I stopped working there. So, yeah... And yes, "a few years ago", so not from Covid-19.)

I knew (or assumed) you could do stuff like that in the US too, but I'd got the impression it was much harder and rarer there than it seems from you guys.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New This would be a reasonable opinion a few years back.
In the early days the cell companies would lock a phone to their network. And they would cause major hassles to people when they wanted to move networks because a person would have to get a new phone and a new phone number.

Then it became law that they had to provide portable phone numbers so you take your phone number with you no matter where you go. All the sudden there were companies saying come to us and bring your phone.

So we have decent competition in that arena since we just carry our number with us wherever we go and the phone companies now fight for us. They don't care if you bring sure own phone. The signals were standardized years ago.
New Not quite there yet
If Verizon handed you a phone that only does CDMA, you still can't take it to ATT. And the other way around with a GSM only device. The upper end models can handle both systems these days, but the low end phones may not.

It may work better with the secondary carriers if they have contracts with Verizon and ATT/T-Mobile.
New I stopped thinking about that years ago
There is a certain entry level phone that is simply a requirement to play the game. If someone wants to buy a disposable phone that's their decision.

Sure they still sell locked in flip phones or entry-level second-tier devices. But the next tier up is only $100.
     Samsung Galaxy a32 5G - (crazy) - (29)
         Jo has the "S" version of this phone - (pwhysall) - (11)
             I believe more expensive and not on the plan that I was allowed then it wouldn't have mattered - (crazy) - (10)
                 "on the plan that I was allowed" - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     Part of an accepted contract. - (crazy) - (8)
                         Yeah, but still: The fact that you have to accept such contracts. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             That's b*******. - (crazy) - (6)
                                 Ah, good. That's just not the picture you get from the outside. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                     I buy my own device, then get service from somebody else. - (InThane) - (4)
                                         A guy who worked at one of the biggest phone and Internet providers in Finland (actually... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                             This would be a reasonable opinion a few years back. - (crazy) - (2)
                                                 Not quite there yet - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                     I stopped thinking about that years ago - (crazy)
         You know that smart phones using Android are less safe than iPhones. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Yes I'm aware - (crazy)
         "I'll trust the cell tower (not like I have a choice) but not the random Wi-Fi." - (CRConrad) - (1)
             I don't trust my own network - (crazy)
         And here's a good reason to avoid Samsung phones across the board - (crazy) - (12)
             Can't see anything particularly bad about that. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                 Ack. Spit. Need a shower. CRC is 100% right - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     The only mystery is why you don't realise that more often. As in, all the time. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Unless you have more information than me, you are merely mistaken and he is not right - (crazy) - (3)
                         Can you not delete the game app? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             No game apps here - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Nerfing the desktop is stupid - (drook)
                 Questions - (drook) - (3)
                     Yup, seems I misread that last bit because I'd skimmed the rest a little too fast. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         I can easily tell the difference - (crazy)
                         18 seconds - (crazy)
                 And then I remembered what this spiel reminded me of - (crazy)

We're talking "filled with angry bees" levels of agony.
63 ms