IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The person making the claim needs to back it up.
Trump is claiming ...

Occam's Razor says you can stop right there. Donnie lies about everything. His height, his weight, his health, the number of people who "attend" his rallies. Everything.

Point them to https://www.snopes.com/collections/new-coronavirus-collection/

If they don't like Snopes, they're hopeless. Life is too short...

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Here's the argument
China has economic competition. If China’s economy gets shut down and no one else’s does, that’s bad for China. All China has to do to prevent that is say nothing. Short term it looks bad. Long term it secures that vulnerable market share. Whether you believe it to be a bad idea or not is irrelevant. People do things that are bad ideas all the time but generally because they believe them to be in their best interest. Governments have done far worse for far less to gain. As mentioned above, many believe our own government has done the same. Are the Chinese incapable of making this sort of gambit?

We'll never get someone from the Chinese government publicly admitting to it, so the best we've got is speculation. His argument is that it makes sense for them to do it. I don't think so.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook June 20, 2020, 02:39:53 PM EDT
New His argument does not have to make sense
Generally my rule is not to ascribe to malice anything that which can be explained by stupidity.

Anyone is capable of anything. We don't know which among us is capable but it doesn't matter, his argument tries to argue against that general principle, then describe a scenario that someone made up in their head without any specific evidence and expect you to explain why it didn't happen.

Sounds like any religious story from hundreds of years ago that someone expects you to disprove. It's simply stupid. But at least not malice.

Don't bother.
     Need help steelman-ing an argument RE: China's COVID response - (drook) - (7)
         The person making the claim needs to back it up. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Here's the argument - (drook) - (1)
                 His argument does not have to make sense - (crazy)
         the only thing that I would suggest in china's favor to leak info slowly - (boxley)
         Just look at our own clusterfsck with the diagnostic tests - (scoenye) - (2)
             Dr. Larry Brilliant on Amanpour: the overall-COVID-Clusterfuck skinny.. to-date: pellucid. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 The whole timeline (so far, obv.) - (scoenye)

If I have enough time to pro-actively squirt saltwater up my nose, I'd rather use that time to floss.
78 ms