1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As long as there's a dock so I only need to fiddle with one plug
--

Drew
New Yeah, that would be even nicer.
We have docks for the laptops at work, but none for home. Now that I've been WFH for, what is it, two months now?, I could of course have fetched the one from the office... But WTH, I have that one plugged in pretty much all the time. For LRRH it would be even better, since I move it around more often, but I don't think there even is a dock for this model.

I went with wireless mouse and keyboard partly in order to simplify that hassle; both are somewhat fancy models that are supposed to be able to bluetooth-pair to different machines and switch between them at the press of a button. Doesn't seem to work that well in practice. ☹️ (OK within post body, crazypants?) On switching back to the other machine, the machine has forgotten about the peripheral and a bunch of clicking to re-pair is needed anyway. Not to worry, though, I found a solution: Both mouse and KB also support 2.4 GHz RF connections using those little USB dongles, like Logitech mice. So I have a "poor-man's dock" in the shape of a two-buck (I kid you not -- 1.95€, poor-man's indeed!) USB hub that I plugged both the receivers (and the wired Jabra mike-headphones) into, and then I just rip that out and plug it into the other one when switching machines.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Things you forget about desktop computers - (drook) - (33)
         Are you sure? - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             The part that goes "beep"? - (scoenye) - (3)
                 I had one of those ... yes, nearly useless -NT - (drook)
                 Microsoft had a PC Speaker driver at one point. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Yes, it was a 16-bit Windows thing. - (static)
         Desktop computers? Is there some other kind? - (Andrew Grygus) - (27)
             Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Re: Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Most browsing and media consumption is on handheld devices these days, afaik - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Google says . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Try BrowserStack for testing. - (malraux)
             With desktop peripherals, laptops/notebooks ARE desktops. - (CRConrad) - (21)
                 As long as there's a dock so I only need to fiddle with one plug -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Yeah, that would be even nicer. - (CRConrad)
                 Well, my (remaining) clients mostly perfer . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                     "install a dual monitor video card"... When was this, in 1987? - (CRConrad) - (17)
                         A lot of desktops have embedded video. - (static) - (16)
                             Which was the case here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Utterly fucking weird. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     Hey, I'm using one of those low-profile HP desktops - (drook)
                                     It wouldn't have mattered much - (scoenye) - (2)
                                         Preach it - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Note on USB3/TB and Macs - (drook)
                             What's "embedded" video, if not what laptops have had since... Idunno, the Bronze Age? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 Looking at the back of mine ... - (drook) - (7)
                                     OK, no USB Type C, of course... But no DisplayPort (2007) or HDMI (2003)? Or even DVI (1999)?!? -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         Notebooks here are starting to come with HDMI . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             My work laptop has only one HDMI port - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 I got J a new Mac Mini and a 4K LG display recently. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     USB-C "docks" and adapters... *sigh* - (static) - (1)
                                                         Insert standard XKCD reference here -NT - (drook)
                                         Nope, nope, and nope -NT - (drook)
                                 Not just the processor. - (static)

We still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
61 ms