IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Preach it
Back before the lockdown and my WFH status, I was on the scrounge for a nicer monitor at work, and found a beautiful HP panel, 1920x1200 or thereabouts. "Come with me, my pretty", I said.

Got it to my desk - VGA only. Laptop has HDMI and USB3/TB ports only.

Motherfucker.

I mean sure, I could have farted about purchasing adapters and whatnot, but at the end of the day, VGA is a dead, analogue standard which means pressing the auto-adjust button on the monitor every time the power goes out, or it randomly decides to forget its settings, and even then it's not quite right, and you have to adjust the phase or the sharpness or the FUCK THIS GIVE ME A DIGITAL CONNECTION IT'S TWENTY FUCKING TWENTY.
New Note on USB3/TB and Macs
At work we've got dual monitors mounted to each desk. I ordered docks for my group, mostly because I was tired of having to carry my dock around each morning. (Hot desking ... don't get me started.)

The windows lappers work fine. Macs will either use one in extended mode, or both if you duplicate the main screen to both. It drives both just fine if you put the second in the HDMI. So no dock love for Mac users.
--

Drew
     Things you forget about desktop computers - (drook) - (33)
         Are you sure? - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             The part that goes "beep"? - (scoenye) - (3)
                 I had one of those ... yes, nearly useless -NT - (drook)
                 Microsoft had a PC Speaker driver at one point. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Yes, it was a 16-bit Windows thing. - (static)
         Desktop computers? Is there some other kind? - (Andrew Grygus) - (27)
             Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Re: Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Most browsing and media consumption is on handheld devices these days, afaik - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Google says . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Try BrowserStack for testing. - (malraux)
             With desktop peripherals, laptops/notebooks ARE desktops. - (CRConrad) - (21)
                 As long as there's a dock so I only need to fiddle with one plug -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Yeah, that would be even nicer. - (CRConrad)
                 Well, my (remaining) clients mostly perfer . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                     "install a dual monitor video card"... When was this, in 1987? - (CRConrad) - (17)
                         A lot of desktops have embedded video. - (static) - (16)
                             Which was the case here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Utterly fucking weird. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     Hey, I'm using one of those low-profile HP desktops - (drook)
                                     It wouldn't have mattered much - (scoenye) - (2)
                                         Preach it - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Note on USB3/TB and Macs - (drook)
                             What's "embedded" video, if not what laptops have had since... Idunno, the Bronze Age? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 Looking at the back of mine ... - (drook) - (7)
                                     OK, no USB Type C, of course... But no DisplayPort (2007) or HDMI (2003)? Or even DVI (1999)?!? -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         Notebooks here are starting to come with HDMI . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             My work laptop has only one HDMI port - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 I got J a new Mac Mini and a 4K LG display recently. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     USB-C "docks" and adapters... *sigh* - (static) - (1)
                                                         Insert standard XKCD reference here -NT - (drook)
                                         Nope, nope, and nope -NT - (drook)
                                 Not just the processor. - (static)

Better get a sitter for the kids and spend our waning hours dry-humping amongst a bunch of stalagtites.
71 ms