Had those frogs the StarTrek univ. translator, were hearing another species perpetually lying--believe every species has a version?--and saying Look-->over-There!! filling their daylight hours ... they too would forget they were (had been) too-smart to fall for the boiling part.

Something more devastatingly-irregular has happened to this near-plurality of 21st-century folk--ones who, a few gens. back--could spot and de-listen-to: the guy in the horse-cart selling snake oil. I mean, not every time but: after getting fleeced a couple/three times. At least.

That these millions, oft descended from slavers, Puritans, brigands of all types: cannot by 2019 remember their own family's tales of the snake-oil-folk of yore ... cannot discern the daily Dog-whistle and Pony Show, noted for its boring repetition within seconds--as a (normal) 9-yo would roll-eyes at--then something has happened deep in the jelloware. Whether this be attributable to the level of public education having devolved to a level so poor that normal minds haven't copped-to-it yet? or derives from neurasthenia of complex origins [depression? panic attacks? maxxed-out C.C.s or n other transistorized modern distractions] ... I no data nor, even a hint that there's any concerted effort to methodically postulate some Causalities.

Believe that academe would call these numerous, extreme and locally unprecedented mental impairments to be: irregularly-irregular (They oft talk that way.)

II could be wrong in my thesis though: just checked; Rush/the early-on Oxycontin mainliner.. has been spouting the preamble to these memes since [via Wiki-P]:

1980s
In 1984, Limbaugh returned to radio as a talk show host at KFBK in Sacramento, where he replaced Morton Downey Jr.[7] The repeal of the Fairness Doctrine—which had required that stations provide free air time for responses to any controversial opinions that were broadcast—by the FCC on August 5, 1987 meant stations could broadcast editorial commentary without having to present opposing views. Daniel Henninger wrote, in a Wall Street Journal editorial, "Ronald Reagan tore down this wall (the Fairness Doctrine) in 1987 ... and Rush Limbaugh was the first man to proclaim himself liberated from the East Germany of liberal media domination."[20]
On August 1, 1988, after achieving success in Sacramento and drawing the attention of former ABC Radio President Edward McLaughlin, Limbaugh moved to New York City and began his national radio show. He debuted just weeks after the *Democratic National Convention, and just weeks before the Republican National Convention. Limbaugh's radio home in New York City was the talk-formatted WABC (AM), and this remained his flagship station for many years, even after Limbaugh moved to West Palm Beach, Fla., from where he continues to broadcast his show.[7] Limbaugh's show moved on January 1, 2014 to WABC's cross-town rival WOR (AM), its current New York outlet.[21]
1990s
In December 1990, journalist Lewis Grossberger wrote in The New York Times that Limbaugh had "more listeners than any other talk show host" and described Limbaugh's style as "bouncing between earnest lecturer and political vaudevillian."[22] Limbaugh's rising profile coincided with the Persian Gulf War, and his support for the war effort and his relentless ridicule of peace activists. The program was moved to stations with larger audiences, eventually being broadcast on over 650 radio stations nationwide.

* What have I been opining re the [-] slope since "1968"?

Alas, I recall first hearing that voice: on the UPS-guy's truck (a frequent caller to neighbor), had a brief conversation ~"Who Dat? ... having glimpsed in seconds the style, the rap and the MyGramma-level of content--though she had not the gift for execrable-snark. Thought just another Nutter, soon to be replaced with an Understudy.. Unapothegmatic, that. Thus: just maybe ... that unrelieved daily mind-bleach does/Did have the power (I thought that only The Shadow had!) That and the Death of the Fairness Doctrine, effete as it was ..it was Something. So if one cretin could catalyze this level of neurasthenia (before and after the Oxy-c regimen) ???

I still think it's an un-investigated more-complex process but.. if it began thence mushroomed by just-One: I fall back on, 'Coincidence isn't Causality', having failed to make either Case. Oh well. We're pretty-likely Fucked in perpetuo far beyond the duration of the current-Menace. This whether the Menace be jailed, committed ..or seen on 66 hours of pre-teen dastardy with his $$Hedge-fund prevert, The entire fucking-World now Knows what US-ians Sieg Heil to.. That can't be extirpated. Sans another Marshall (of Plan fame) and actual magnanimity, thence authentic Leadership: whither goest the odds of forcing the 0.001%-to-knees and saving planets(?) Don't answer that.
(I don't 'believe in' mass epiphanies.. ...)

Carrion. Sometimes it's a herd of elephants who Do forget.