IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Shit’s gettin’ weird
This “National Conservatism*” thing carries with it some sinister vibes. Sinister, that is, to rational people: I’m not addressing you, boxley, and I’m not interested in listening to your excuses for it, so off you piss. There was a klavern meeting—parden me, a “conference”—recently, and I notice that even the raised pinky set, who wouldn’t be caught dead yelling “Three word chant! Three word chant!” at a Trump rally, aren’t bothering anymore with the indoor voice:
In a panel on immigration, University of Pennsylvania law professor Amy Wax claimed that immigrants are too loud and responsible for an increase in “litter.” She explicitly advocated an immigration policy that would favor immigrants from Western countries over non-Western ones; “the position,” as she put it, “that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.” (She claims this is not racist because her problem with nonwhite immigrants is cultural rather than biological.)
Researchers have established—by humane means, it is devoutly hoped—that your average frog deposited in a saucepan full of tepid water over a heating element does not in fact suffer itself to be poached. The amphibian will, if unimpeded, seek to remove itself to a cooler medium. Nevertheless, the metaphor persists because although it rests on a foundation of faulty physiology, it seems to express a truth of psychology, or sociology, or political science: we are apt as human beings to be insensitive to incremental changes, and but imperfectly responsive to the large-scale cumulative effects of these. Our froggy friends will put some distance between the hot water and themselves. We will variously fail to notice that the water has got any warmer, or to deny that warming has occurred, or that there’s anything wrong with hot water, or we will assert that hotter water is an excellent development. I’m not planning a rant about climate change here, incidentally, although these responses certainly apply. The tendency of water to boil, we are told, is an inevitable condition of the world that we are powerless to change. Oh, and look, wonderful and cunning new consumer electronics deliver us a lewd, violent, particolored popular culture at a million frames a second, so who’s got time to worry about the fucking water? Pay no attention to the energy consortia setting up shop on top of your aquifer, and still less to the herrenvolk “democracy” that is presently making itself comfortable down the street.

After the 2016 election I lamented to anyone in earshot that “This is going to be worse than we can imagine.” At this point, I’d say that things are worse than I imagined we couldn’t imagine, and that these trends are picking up speed. There’s no going back to the old days. I think the United States of America is—are—approaching the end of its/their run, and that those among us still paying attention by the end of the coming decade will have seen, if not the country’s formal disintegration, then the de facto end of it as a functioning society. And I doubt very much whether the sociopolitical order that succeeds it, if “order” be the word, will constitute an improvement.

We are never coming back from this.

cordially,

*Brad DeLong: National Conservatism is too long to say easily. We need something that rolls off the tongue. I propose we call them “NatCs.”
Expand Edited by rcareaga July 22, 2019, 09:12:16 PM EDT
Expand Edited by rcareaga July 22, 2019, 09:12:21 PM EDT
New Can swallow the (smarter-frogs factoid) but it's not just that..
Had those frogs the StarTrek univ. translator, were hearing another species perpetually lying--believe every species has a version?--and saying Look-->over-There!! filling their daylight hours ... they too would forget they were (had been) too-smart to fall for the boiling part.

Something more devastatingly-irregular has happened to this near-plurality of 21st-century folk--ones who, a few gens. back--could spot and de-listen-to: the guy in the horse-cart selling snake oil. I mean, not every time but: after getting fleeced a couple/three times. At least.

That these millions, oft descended from slavers, Puritans, brigands of all types: cannot by 2019 remember their own family's tales of the snake-oil-folk of yore ... cannot discern the daily Dog-whistle and Pony Show, noted for its boring repetition within seconds--as a (normal) 9-yo would roll-eyes at--then something has happened deep in the jelloware. Whether this be attributable to the level of public education having devolved to a level so poor that normal minds haven't copped-to-it yet? or derives from neurasthenia of complex origins [depression? panic attacks? maxxed-out C.C.s or n other transistorized modern distractions] ... I no data nor, even a hint that there's any concerted effort to methodically postulate some Causalities.

Believe that academe would call these numerous, extreme and locally unprecedented mental impairments to be: irregularly-irregular (They oft talk that way.)

II could be wrong in my thesis though: just checked; Rush/the early-on Oxycontin mainliner.. has been spouting the preamble to these memes since [via Wiki-P]:

1980s
In 1984, Limbaugh returned to radio as a talk show host at KFBK in Sacramento, where he replaced Morton Downey Jr.[7] The repeal of the Fairness Doctrine—which had required that stations provide free air time for responses to any controversial opinions that were broadcast—by the FCC on August 5, 1987 meant stations could broadcast editorial commentary without having to present opposing views. Daniel Henninger wrote, in a Wall Street Journal editorial, "Ronald Reagan tore down this wall (the Fairness Doctrine) in 1987 ... and Rush Limbaugh was the first man to proclaim himself liberated from the East Germany of liberal media domination."[20]
On August 1, 1988, after achieving success in Sacramento and drawing the attention of former ABC Radio President Edward McLaughlin, Limbaugh moved to New York City and began his national radio show. He debuted just weeks after the *Democratic National Convention, and just weeks before the Republican National Convention. Limbaugh's radio home in New York City was the talk-formatted WABC (AM), and this remained his flagship station for many years, even after Limbaugh moved to West Palm Beach, Fla., from where he continues to broadcast his show.[7] Limbaugh's show moved on January 1, 2014 to WABC's cross-town rival WOR (AM), its current New York outlet.[21]
1990s
In December 1990, journalist Lewis Grossberger wrote in The New York Times that Limbaugh had "more listeners than any other talk show host" and described Limbaugh's style as "bouncing between earnest lecturer and political vaudevillian."[22] Limbaugh's rising profile coincided with the Persian Gulf War, and his support for the war effort and his relentless ridicule of peace activists. The program was moved to stations with larger audiences, eventually being broadcast on over 650 radio stations nationwide.

* What have I been opining re the [-] slope since "1968"?

Alas, I recall first hearing that voice: on the UPS-guy's truck (a frequent caller to neighbor), had a brief conversation ~"Who Dat? ... having glimpsed in seconds the style, the rap and the MyGramma-level of content--though she had not the gift for execrable-snark. Thought just another Nutter, soon to be replaced with an Understudy.. Unapothegmatic, that. Thus: just maybe ... that unrelieved daily mind-bleach does/Did have the power (I thought that only The Shadow had!) That and the Death of the Fairness Doctrine, effete as it was ..it was Something. So if one cretin could catalyze this level of neurasthenia (before and after the Oxy-c regimen) ???

I still think it's an un-investigated more-complex process but.. if it began thence mushroomed by just-One: I fall back on, 'Coincidence isn't Causality', having failed to make either Case. Oh well. We're pretty-likely Fucked in perpetuo far beyond the duration of the current-Menace. This whether the Menace be jailed, committed ..or seen on 66 hours of pre-teen dastardy with his $$Hedge-fund prevert, The entire fucking-World now Knows what US-ians Sieg Heil to.. That can't be extirpated. Sans another Marshall (of Plan fame) and actual magnanimity, thence authentic Leadership: whither goest the odds of forcing the 0.001%-to-knees and saving planets(?) Don't answer that.
(I don't 'believe in' mass epiphanies.. ...)

Carrion. Sometimes it's a herd of elephants who Do forget.
New I'm beginning to think we're in for some bloody warz.
Boris Johnson is PM promising a no-deal Brexit. Already there's speculation that the pound will fall to 1 USD. Our own BJ has inflamed the Straits of Hormuz in addition to fanning the flames of the ever present racism at home. Adherents to non-violence have oft been faced with the question, "We had to go to war to rid ourselves of Hitler, didn't we?" And that question, I think, rears its head again. If it is true that we had to have a World War to rid ourselves (however temporarily) of Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei doctrine, are we not now again in need of such a global war? This time, perhaps, to coincide with a modern US Civil War?

I'd like to think such is not required. But does anyone really think that the 40% of Americans who still support Drumpf can be safely reincorporated into a fair and just society? I can't see it. If the Brits do march off the edge of the earth behind their Pied Piper of Bullshit, the pain they self-inflict might, might bring the Brexiteers back to reason. IMO, the jury remains out on that score. But our Drumpf supporters here? I believe their ship has sailed. They are irredeemable. A truly bloody, protracted war may be the only method available of purging them for they are most often over-represented in the armed forces during war time.

I've apologized more than once over my failure to grasp just how terrible 40% of us are, but I'll do it again. I knew we'd had it when, for a large group of Americans, it somehow became "Un-American" to be an "Anti-Fascist." I'm old enough to remember when Americans - all of them - opposed fascism in all its flavors. Such is not the case anymore and I'm left with the question, "Что делать?"
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Zackly
But does anyone really think that the 40% of Americans who still support Drumpf can be safely reincorporated into a fair and just society?
I’ve heard it framed something like this: Five of you share an office. It is decided that you will all have lunch. Three of you vote for pizza. Two say no, we’d rather kill and eat the three of you. Well, majority rule and all that, so it’s off to Pizza Hut this afternoon, but you’ve got a real problem back at the office…

It’s a shame that the word “fascism” has been tossed around so casually for decades, because this is the real deal we see emerging from the broken carapace of the Republic.

cordially,
New Translation-shudder
"I" ..could Win War-X...

..There aren't enough [big]s to map this megalomaniac's ego..
Nor would it arise within that mental morass the thought--by Either the Menace OR the "Senate" du jour:

What the fucking-Constitution says re Beginning such Lemming-races-over-cliffs.

I feel a rilly-SHITTY-Week? n-Days?? en. route. unless ...
Unless ...2nd Amendment over-rules /decapitate-the-Opponent's C&C pyramid? / Basic Mil. Strategy
(Those aren't deer-in-headlights, the vox-pop: T h i n k ... gnats-partying-by-the-bug-zapper.)
New +4 ..perhaps the Viciousness extant ... is a bit understated?
[I. Jest.] Methinks this fine-∑ neither vituperative {horrors!} nor exaggerated; it's a Fucking Gaussian-Certainty, however unImaginable the Outcome-chaos.

(Whether deemed 'The Maya' or just-fucking-Cosmic Humor..) I go with the latter; can process each day's neo-absurdities: only as Theatre/Grotesque,
unworthy of getting the Emotional knickers-in-a-twist; moi prefers endorphins in the blood stream.
Whatever the enviro of where that blood flows ummm, out?

(I mean to Save-the-Cats, with the flask of Amontillado Phlogiston beside moi, should any neighbors in this enclave demonstrate Zombification. It's just the right thing to do.)
New what do you expect from a law perfesser in pennsylvanialand?
she prolly hates the dojers. Now if there was a question of law involved it would be different but white rich northern east coasters have always been a bastion of keeping the darker hued in their place. Surprised that you think this is something new.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Not a North/South thing, not biting
--

Drew
New nope its that the people of that area that are rich and white
hate poor people and hate poor non whites even more. Heck there are people in oakland california that feel the same way
New I think Malcom said it best
Malcolm X stood before a Harlem audience in 1964 and declared: “America is Mississippi. There’s no such thing as a Mason-Dixon line—it’s America. There’s no such thing as the South—it’s America. . . . And the mistake that you and I make is letting these Northern crackers shift the weight to the Southern crackers.” Malcolm’s rhetoric was more fiery, but his message was the same.

https://www.salon.com/2014/12/14/the_north_isnt_better_than_the_south_the_real_history_of_modern_racism_and_segregation_above_the_mason_dixon_line/ I think Salon is an acceptable publication for y'all
New White America has always been and remains 52-54% Mississippi.
And that 52 to 54 per cent of White America will vote for donald in 2020 again. I never fully understood exactly how bigoted over half of White Americans were until recently. For most of my life I thought it was a vastly smaller percentage, but it most definitely is not.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New hey, you ran from the south to the state with the largest kkk membership evah.
you didnt know, not on you
     Shit’s gettin’ weird - (rcareaga) - (12)
         Can swallow the (smarter-frogs factoid) but it's not just that.. - (Ashton)
         I'm beginning to think we're in for some bloody warz. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             Zackly - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 "I have plans on Afghanistan." - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Translation-shudder - (Ashton)
                 +4 ..perhaps the Viciousness extant ... is a bit understated? - (Ashton)
         what do you expect from a law perfesser in pennsylvanialand? - (boxley) - (5)
             Not a North/South thing, not biting -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 nope its that the people of that area that are rich and white - (boxley)
                 I think Malcom said it best - (boxley) - (2)
                     White America has always been and remains 52-54% Mississippi. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         hey, you ran from the south to the state with the largest kkk membership evah. - (boxley)

Relax... you're quite safe here.
80 ms