IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Boeing MAX update, NYT
NYT.

It's a meticulous article.. with links. And bloody-DAMNING.
Just one (of 63-just now) responses/IT-ept:

Bob Carlson
Tucson AZ8m ago

This whole “we didn’t understand, we didn’t imagine” frustrates me no end. My entire career was in software development. I never worked on systems where human safety was an issue, but any good software developer knows that sensors fail. Relying on a single sensor, WHEN THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE AVAILABLE, is clear malpractice. No good developer would ever do this. Besides that, I saw a graph of the output of the malfunctioning sensor. It is pretty clear from that graph that the sensor was malfunctioning. Outputs do not go from nominal to max in no time at all. Really good software would detect this.

Another thing that good developers do is that they program and understand systems, not just individual pieces of software. It was someones job to understand this system and anticipate failures. It is simply not credible that a compentent engineer would think that relying on a single vulnerable sensor in a system that can steer the plane nito the ground was a good idea. This was a massive failure of engineering that could have been prevented with simple competence.

I can't imagine Boeing--
sitting squarely-within the mindset of the deadliest characteristics of $$$-Bizness, the vulture-form sans any Chief: beyond Our Stock Investors®™

--shall ever fully recover from this pellucid pair of Examples of er, Costs-to-Persons of (our entire Econ + Political roots). These two INEXCUSABLE planeloads of dead bodies surely will be a ghostly ineffable-presence in any minds (capable of just algebra? thus able to parse details of the crass rush-to-deploy this un-guidable-missile).

"Safety is #1 at Boeing" is as flaccid a riposte as [Anything DJT ever blurts-out-mechanically--but we Expect That from the Cretin-in-Chief], not ever from someone in the direct-Bizness of F=MA.

The schadenfreude is in full bloom this Spring, I wot. Suck-It-Up, Boeing.

Ed: another response:

Bill
NYC30m ago
We have clearly lost sight of the origins of justice -- the Hammurabic code of an eye for an eye.

I think if there were a simple administrative imposition of 346 instances of capital punishment for Boeing officers, starting down from the board of directors and the CEO, companies might be more careful about linking life-threatening software to single sensors. ;-)

SFR
New York15m ago
Like hammurabi riding into battle, CEOs of Boeing should take their families on vacation as a test run before planes are made available for commercial flights.

Let Us Now Braise Famous Men, those who in their salad days.. imagined that they were of the Caesar variety.

{{Sheesh!}} It gets more-better--CONGRESS [if ever again we Have one, functioning] COULD employ THIS PRISTINE EXAMPLE within the overall revamping of BIZNESS' RULEZ of behavior ... and against the very-first-next: Bizness lying-in-advertising; Ethics-for the unTeachables clearly is: Amendment #1 in the new ex-dis-US Constitution. Innit?

Himanshu
Gurgaon31m ago

Absolutely Shocking Read.
How can the process of getting a software change/upgrade on one of world's largest selling planes, which could be potentially hazardous have such loopholes?
Not just within Boeing, but also with F.A.A.
And there has got to be some of them who knew that MCAS works basis data from just one sensor? And they eve continued with this ludicrous system even after the first crash!
Boeing deserves a mass lawsuit, billions of dollars of compensation and people in prison.
Absolutely Shocking.
Great piece explaining the whole thing brilliantly.

Bob commented 1 hour ago

Milan35m ago
How can we still trust Boeing ‘s “fix” of the faulty device or software? The problem of 737MAX is not just software but with the original design—with the new engine that does not fit the older 737 body. Boeing should scrap the MAX and start all over again with a new narrow body plane. I for one will not get my foot on a MAX.

1 REPLY
Paul commented 33 minutes ago
State of Washington

@Bob That's exactly what will happen...no ordinary person is going to step foot on the MAX. It is dead already. So Boeing will be forced by market pressures to scrap and begin anew. The errant software was needed to compensate for the bad/overloaded design issues, and now they will lobotomize the software -- so the original issues remain. Makes perfect sense, right?

Love. It. ... maybe those people did not die in vain? in the unlikely-event ..that Americans Trump 'Muricans, finally.
Motif: There's a Boeing within every [world-wide] Corporation; let's Fix that. (no cha/ cha. cha. allowed)
Expand Edited by Ashton June 1, 2019, 05:16:10 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Ashton June 1, 2019, 05:43:38 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Ashton June 1, 2019, 05:47:33 PM EDT
New Read that one myself earlier.
No one had the big picture of how the airplane worked.

It's amazing how fucked up Boeing is!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New And how they got there
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-05-09/former-boeing-engineers-say-relentless-cost-cutting-sacrificed-safety

From a management retreat on how to cure the indigestion caused by swallowing McDonnell Douglas

The relentless message: Shareholders would henceforth come first at Boeing. The important thing was not to get “overly focused on the box,” Hopkins said in a 2000 interview with Bloomberg. “The box”—the plane itself—“is obviously important, but customers are assuming the box is of great quality.”

Boeing went down the same road revamping the 777 (about to come out as the 777X) and tried to recycle the electrical load management system from an older 777 variant. The engineer who said that was not possible without compromising safety was terminated. Boeing then tried to pawn the whole implementation off on GE but folks there came to the same conclusion as the hapless engineer. Not sure where Boeing ran next with it.
New Seems that the more you delve ..the less a one ever can trust the CIEIO + cohorts.. to Man-Up.
(Some 'thanks' to Boeing nevertheless, for giving us'ns another opportunity to test our earlier chops re 'deductive-Reasoning') even though
their entire Clusterfuck derives from their own $$$-over-ride of morality or just plain Consciousness. This Fact just may (yet?) prove
illuminating to a gaggle of persons who See just what corruption looks-like and does to all. Shirley a soupçon of Hope there, eh?

..So then, next:

1) Ya goes with Fly by un-Disconnectable-transistors, Airbus {{suspense.. ...}}
2) Ya stays with poorly-Flyable/too-Heavy engines/wrong C.G. Boeing {{Suspense + remaining obloquy attached}}
3) Car?? with all the vicissitudes seen in Dads' Quips + your own {{did I mention boring? }}

4) ??? You suffer an attack of Conscience, ponder the data re con-trails, jillions flying from nowhere to no-Where and
ancillary planetary trashing factors. {{warm fuzzy feelings, but..}}
forces Imagination to create yer Own Taj Mahal, *Le Beaumanière, Indy-500! --with lots of Beer, etc.
* Wayback: considered the Best-of 'World's Best Restaurants' via Michelin et alia.

Odds? (Yeah, I know...) It's a Puzzlement!, sayeth Yul Brynner (with similar Demons vying for some 'comfort').
New High speed electric rail.
Of course, ya gots to get out of Jesusland to accomplish that. So there's a bonus involved.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New It's a shoe-in; ! shall prey for your sole.
New Yeah, I think I'll stick to my horribly-EU-bureaucratic fly-by-night--eh-I-mean-wire Airbus, thanks.
New I'll give you this. At least Airbus informs you the pilot's not in control.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Hmmm.. mebbe I can fly one o'those Big Birds, next..
I'm rilly good at selecting, "OK Land this thing" (never-mind those lightning strikes n'the side wind at 30 knots) n'stuff.
And sure ..supposing that a [;] or three was misunderestimated? during programming-Final-checkout/near lunch-time; it's All auto-correcting. :-)
(Since you make a living within that skillz-set, you have the advantage over moi): familiarity with the [;];
I can only imagineer. ;^>
New Gotta be something else: Missing a semi-colon (or whole intestine), your code won't even compile.
New [op. cit.] See? yer ready to give Faith-to: that [;] detecting/undetecting script/+ Cosmic-ray hits.
er, [Rest Case]
     Boeing MAX update, NYT - (Ashton) - (10)
         Read that one myself earlier. - (a6l6e6x)
         And how they got there - (scoenye) - (8)
             Seems that the more you delve ..the less a one ever can trust the CIEIO + cohorts.. to Man-Up. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 High speed electric rail. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     It's a shoe-in; ! shall prey for your sole. -NT - (Ashton)
             Yeah, I think I'll stick to my horribly-EU-bureaucratic fly-by-night--eh-I-mean-wire Airbus, thanks. -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 I'll give you this. At least Airbus informs you the pilot's not in control. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Hmmm.. mebbe I can fly one o'those Big Birds, next.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Gotta be something else: Missing a semi-colon (or whole intestine), your code won't even compile. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         [op. cit.] See? yer ready to give Faith-to: that [;] detecting/undetecting script/+ Cosmic-ray hits. -NT - (Ashton)

CFOC!
83 ms