IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New a little turbulence at these altitudes
“High Sierra” appears to have broken Final Cut Pro, which lived on the machine when I bought it, and it may have killed my Firewire 400 card—at any rate, my external “iSight” camera, which connects via that venerable standard, is not recognized (further investigation pending, but much of my gear remains to be uncrated). I did not expect to get through this without any collateral damage, and these incidents fall within the acceptable range.

cordially,
New FireWire issue resolved in part
I still haven’t ascertained whether FireWire 400 breaks under High Sierra, or whether the USB/FireWire 400 card I had installed on the machine is somehow faulty—its USB ports work—but a little $10 dongle that adapts FW400 to 800, connected to the built-in FW800 port on Big Cheese, has restored the iSight to functionality. Woo and yay for small victories. For the rest, the big brute has performed more than satisfactorily thus far, and if I reach the end of October without Mudbrick Technologies yanking my chain with a subscription demand, I will feel very gratified indeed. SSD + 16x former RAM = Ahhhh...

cordially,
     Big Cheese is settling in, but… - (rcareaga) - (14)
         Update to macOS High Sierra yet? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             At the moment, running El Cap - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 High Serra updates boot SSD to APFS w/o asking. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         iMacs are all-in-one, towers expect to have peripherals - (drook)
         Preparing to install “High Sierra” - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Backups are good. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 So far, so good - (rcareaga)
             a little turbulence at these altitudes - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 FireWire issue resolved in part - (rcareaga)
         It’s the damnedest thing… - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Huh, wha? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Neither the Mini nor the G4 I bought off eBay had been scrubbed -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Indeed not, and even more oddly - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     iWork is now free, anyway. - (a6l6e6x)

What a feat!
39 ms