IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New At the moment, running El Cap
I’ve become a little gun-shy about Mac OS upgrades over the years (times past, when Apple charged for them, I would pay and pre-order) because older machines and older software sometimes don’t play well with the latest and greatest. I have, in addition to my boot SSD, two other internal SSDs (one of them a bootable clone of SSD #1), the original 2TB HD (bootable), and an external SSD that’s also a bootable clone of #1. I might install High Sierra on one of the clones and put it through its paces. I rather like the idea of disabling autoplay audio in Safari, which is apparently one of the new bells and whistles (or mutes, rather).

At this point I’m still engaged in rebuilding the functionality of my old setup, so I’ll likely wait until much of this has been restored, make new clones, wait for some of the High Sierra bugs to crawl out from under the furniture, and test-drive it then.

The new soundbar fits nicely beneath the “Cinema Display,” and its audio quality is at least as good as I was accustomed to from the iMac. For the rest, I’m feeling good about this brute of a machine, and venture to hope that we’ll have a few good years together before the inevitable accretion of system cruft takes the bloom off the romance.

(The machine came preloaded with a raft of high-end software of the sort that these days is available by subscription only if you know what I mean, and I think you do. Thus far, it appears to perform without asking me to check in with the mothership. I am, as I may have mentioned times past, vehemently opposed to the subscription model. A technically savvy acquaintance maintains that there are extant copies of this class of products—let’s call it a “suite,” or a “cloud”—that have been unshackled from the extortion protocol. We’ll see. It may be that within thirty days after first launching one of the apps, Mother will tug the apron strings. If that happens, I will refresh the boot drive with the latest version of the clone, and perhaps extend the “trial” period indefinitely. This will not gnaw at the vitals of my conscience.)

cordially,
New High Serra updates boot SSD to APFS w/o asking.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Big Cheese is settling in, but… - (rcareaga) - (14)
         Update to macOS High Sierra yet? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             At the moment, running El Cap - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 High Serra updates boot SSD to APFS w/o asking. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         iMacs are all-in-one, towers expect to have peripherals - (drook)
         Preparing to install “High Sierra” - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Backups are good. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 So far, so good - (rcareaga)
             a little turbulence at these altitudes - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 FireWire issue resolved in part - (rcareaga)
         It’s the damnedest thing… - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Huh, wha? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Neither the Mini nor the G4 I bought off eBay had been scrubbed -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Indeed not, and even more oddly - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     iWork is now free, anyway. - (a6l6e6x)

Switch view to kaleidoscopic.
85 ms