IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The bigger question about door knobs is of course...
...YTF does anyone use knobs in the first place? Ordinary sensible door handles have been invented, you know. The only reason to use a round slippery thingamabob would be if you've got pets (or, for a few short years, toddlers?) that you don't want to be able to open the door by themselves.

And, as usual with stupid-ass backwards shit like this: "Only in America". (Well, OK, maybe the rest of the Anglophone world too? From film and TV, you get the impression it's about fifty-fifty in, say, the UK and Australia.)

When it comes to doors more generally, for once the US avoids being the weirdest in the known world with it's stupid-ass round slippery doorknob thingamabobs, being beaten to the pip by the weird UK habit of hanging doors that are towards the corner of a room the wrong way around, creating an impractical and a-social niche behind them when they're opened. Not that second place is much to brag about in this particular contest.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New I don't understand the UK layout you're describing
--

Drew
New Sensible way: hinge nearest corner. Weird UK way: hinge farthest from corner. (Also: No "pre" tag?)
If you have a door at or near the corner of a room, and it is hung along the edge nearest to the corner, then it opens ninety degrees towards the wall adjacent to the corner (the other wall, not the one the door is in). Then the opening is visible from the whole room, and vice versa.

If, OTOH, it is hung on the edge fartest from the corner, opening it ~ninety degrees creates a temporary niche hidden from most of the room, and most of the room hidden from it. To get visibility you have to open it 180 degrees towards the wall (the one it's hung on).

To me, the former feels so obvious as to be the only sensible way to do it; the latter so weird I couldn't even imagine doing it that way until I saw it in British films and TV shows.

The "pre" (or "tt" or other monospaced) HTML tag(s) do(es)n't seem to work here, so to see the below (IBM Extended) ASCII art in all its glory, you'll probably have to copy-paste it into something that can display in a non-proportional font.

┌──────────────────┐            ╒══────────────────┐
 x                 │             x                 │
├───               │            │                  │
│                  │            │                  │
│                  │            │                  │
└──────────────────┘            └──────────────────┘
X: Friend, or zombie hungry for your braaaiiinnnsss? In one case you know, in the other it's hidden by a stupidly hinged door.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Almost every knob in our house is either lever or thumb-lever
Except for a few that haven't been replaced yet and one that we don't want the cat opening.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, but a lot of those door handles . . .
. . have a nasty habit of catching on cloths and things you might be carrying.
New Opening to the wall.
You describe something that is merely an older standard. Doors that open against the wall have been standard in Au for decades and probably nearly as long in the UK, too. Doors that open the other way were once standard in Au, but that died out in new houses before I was born. However, the UK does have quite a lot more older houses than we do.

(I shall be watching for this on Grand Designs in the future!)

Wade.
     I hate construction - (drook) - (16)
         Might be easier to just buy a new door. - (static) - (6)
             I'd give good odds it's not a (current) standard size -NT - (drook) - (5)
                 Nothing in this house is standard either. - (malraux) - (4)
                     Hardware I can do, but not a whole door -NT - (drook) - (3)
                         Yeah, I did one of those once. - (malraux) - (2)
                             Like with the plumbing, right? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                 Some plumbing I'm ok with but generally yes. - (malraux)
         Might be easier to just buy a new door. - (static)
         Did you change manufacturer from old hardware? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Nope, discontinued years ago - (drook)
         The bigger question about door knobs is of course... - (CRConrad) - (5)
             I don't understand the UK layout you're describing -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 Sensible way: hinge nearest corner. Weird UK way: hinge farthest from corner. (Also: No "pre" tag?) - (CRConrad)
             Almost every knob in our house is either lever or thumb-lever - (malraux)
             Yeah, but a lot of those door handles . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Opening to the wall. - (static)

For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!
53 ms