If you have a door at or near the corner of a room, and it is hung along the edge nearest to the corner, then it opens ninety degrees towards the wall adjacent to the corner (the other wall, not the one the door is in). Then the opening is visible from the whole room, and vice versa.

If, OTOH, it is hung on the edge fartest from the corner, opening it ~ninety degrees creates a temporary niche hidden from most of the room, and most of the room hidden from it. To get visibility you have to open it 180 degrees towards the wall (the one it's hung on).

To me, the former feels so obvious as to be the only sensible way to do it; the latter so weird I couldn't even imagine doing it that way until I saw it in British films and TV shows.

The "pre" (or "tt" or other monospaced) HTML tag(s) do(es)n't seem to work here, so to see the below (IBM Extended) ASCII art in all its glory, you'll probably have to copy-paste it into something that can display in a non-proportional font.

┌──────────────────┐            ╒══────────────────┐
 x                 │             x                 │
├───               │            │                  │
│                  │            │                  │
│                  │            │                  │
└──────────────────┘            └──────────────────┘
X: Friend, or zombie hungry for your braaaiiinnnsss? In one case you know, in the other it's hidden by a stupidly hinged door.