IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Encounter with an Apple 'Supervisor', as Yosemite was flailing..
[Free dope, too: a couple factoids re ISP PROBLEMS setting up mail for these late OS X builds + the fact of a malware test, made on existing s/w BEFORE they commence new install.]

A confluence of techno-grade-nastiness caused me to call [they actually Did call-back in seconds!] the Apple 'Pay'-number! With trepidation.
Amidst weirdness, slow operation, general need to reboot at least every couple weeks--usually via manual shutdown--as both Mail and Safari would not obey 'Force Quit' (and other details likely more boring than illuminating) I decided to call the Pay-number (!)

(Just to make it an interesting Glitch: amidst above,) Time Machine HD (tiny WD Passport drive) rock-solid: Disk Utility came up in Red/it's broke.
Ran Verify, thence est. "a couple hours"==400 GB drive. Then said, it's OK now. But TMachine indicated.. "what drive you talkin 'bout, Willis?
Back to Verify/2 more hours then "OK" again. This time TM indicated "preparing" or like that. And it worked. {sigh} shitty timing, that.

So then: Apple guy, after Q &A about it all and my query: would it be simpler to kiss off the analysis/any deep sleuthing and just upgrade to Sierra? (was on Yosemite.) At this point he mentioned **[see below the line] and also informed that an early '09 iMac-24 could only run El Capitan/a late '09: can do Sierra. He concurred that this (last for my hdwre) upgrade was simplest solution.

Jeez I Hate the double-security 6-digit confirmation codes, but at least THIS OS X install had, at that appropriate screen, "Don't have a security code?: A) here's how, on web
OR door-B) "you can CALL us and we'll call back with it!" real-Soon! I did and in seconds They Did. Bitchin, that.

tl;dr so the install was uneventful and the sucker flies, something it Hasn't for some months. *BUT* The New! email ap wasn't talking to my ISP, no response from GetMail button nor my TEST message.

Now, Rob at my ISP I've known for the ~20 years beginning with dial-up. (They also did test equip. in early days.)
He mentioned the assholery of (dunno how many Animals-past) of these post-Animal offerings: his having to easter-egg all around to configure them,
that it was costing them $thousands ... at a half-hour typ. way too frequently.
(Seems that Apple has yet to see the wisdom of circulation to the 8000 U.S. ISPs: **a manual for the insanely-great-new changes:
largely hiding beneath new drill-down menus,replacing TRADITIONAL locations for configs.

POINT: he's considering dropping 'just-MAIL' (my current use of his ISPery) as I have to use Comcast in my tiny village because [never mind: tmi.
Hope not, as they have been Gold since day1 and I know not where else someone will take me in for Mail only, at a pittance.

En fin: this was on a Sunday; we spent near 40 minutes (some asides of irrelevancies) and NO CHARGE.

** Item you may not know: before Apple upgrades, it does a malware check--I sure never heard that--did you?
They use, in fact the Ap at www.adwaremedic [dot.co you know].
I will next ask Apple honcho/got his Ext. # *IF* they do find such, will they TELL you, somehow? [what an idea, huh?]
New Glad to hear all went well eventually!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Indeed.. wastie time zipping about, as site Opens in a second or two :-) now, vacuum that IN-box..
New Comcast is one of the worst offenders when it comes to e-mail
They will drop entire countries off the map without warning and without sending NDRs. We eventually switched to GMail to keep contact with the folks in Belgium.

POP3 configuration has recently become a nightmare. Our own Linux/T-bird setup usually recovers following "no server response" episodes, but several Windows users I know are now forced to use Comcast's webmail interface because no matter how the client is set up, the POP server stops responding mid handshake.
New Thanks for Heads-up,
fortunately though, never used the Comcast e-mail addy auto-assigned: made clear to them that my e-mail addy is not Theirs, should some e-mail seem necessary.
(Amidst whatever $$ or other chaos has been unleashed, I phone the suckers.)

Heh, their latest ad-blitz seen on PBS, after the xfinity cha. cha. is: the claimed hiring (over n-years, in tiny print) of ex-military folk, the implication being

A) We'll be here forever/ and we're patriotic as all get-out.
B) Guess we're supposed to believe it's because of new business/not re perennial sloppy service, heretofore.

But who's believing either one (?)
PS: I quite recall your kindness in sending along a "Full 150 MHz!" upgrade CPU for some long-forgotten box of a friend.
"You mean this was sent from Belgium??" saith She. :-)
Expand Edited by Ashton May 1, 2017, 10:41:21 PM EDT
New Now up to my eyeballs in P4 2.8GHz CPUs. If you ever need a box of those... ;-)
     Encounter with an Apple 'Supervisor', as Yosemite was flailing.. - (Ashton) - (5)
         Glad to hear all went well eventually! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Indeed.. wastie time zipping about, as site Opens in a second or two :-) now, vacuum that IN-box.. -NT - (Ashton)
         Comcast is one of the worst offenders when it comes to e-mail - (scoenye) - (2)
             Thanks for Heads-up, - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Now up to my eyeballs in P4 2.8GHz CPUs. If you ever need a box of those... ;-) -NT - (scoenye)

Calendars are a minor issue.
81 ms