Google says around 34 hours of driving, ~ 2300 miles. At 10 MPG (might be high), $2.50 a gallon, that's about $600 for gas one way.

If it's been sitting a long time, it may need tires (dry rot), and may need belts, hoses, and who knows what else. I'd be nervous about taking something like that across the desert and the mountains. But I'm naturally cautious. ;-)

Here's a 1997 in East Texas for $3000. Dunno if it's too small for you. I found that by looking around here.

Why a motor home? You still need to park it some where and have access to utilities. Why not a trailer instead? Yeah, trailer parks. But much fewer things are likely to go wrong, and if you have a small enough trailer, you can rent a truck if necessary to move it somewhere else.

A neighbor had a huge (but not bus-sized) old motor home (with some 440 Chrysler V8, I think) in their driveway for years. The old man of the house died, and the family spent a few days getting it running to be able to sell it. I never saw them drive the thing before that...

No need to answer, and I'm sure you've thought about all these things.

Best of luck!!

Cheers,
Scott.