IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What does "as a right" mean?
If it includes "without having to pay for it individually" then yes, payment is your first priority.
--

Drew
New In America, you get the healthcare you can pay for and nothing else. That's wrong.
Physicans can refuse to take Medicaid patients. Even pediatricians. No system is worth anything that allows a situation where a child can be legally denied care based upon their parents ability to pay.
New In Canada...
http://www.canadian-healthcare.org/page4.html

Private Health Insurance

While the health care system in Canada covers basic services, including primary care physicians and hospitals, there are many services that are not covered. These include things like dental services, optometrists, and prescription medications.

Private health insurance plans are usually offered as part of employee benefit packages in many companies. Incentives usually include vision and dental care. Alternatively, Canadians can purchase insurance packages from private insurance providers.

The main reason many choose to purchase private insurance is to supplement primary health coverage. For those requiring services that may not be covered under provincial health insurance such as corrective lenses, medications, or home care, a private insurance plan offsets such medical expenses.

AFAIK, please correct me if you know otherwise, there is no national health care system that covers everything. There is always going to need to be other supplementary systems, which often involve separate private insurance.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, there was one once.
I know because I personally benefited from being mistaken for a Russian child in the Soviet Union. ;0)
New Re: Well, there was one once.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1025801/

Reliable information about the system of health care pertaining to the average Soviet citizen is difficult to come by. The health care offered important officials, artists and foreigners who become ill is at a much more sophisticated level than that available to the general Soviet community. Anectodal reports [1-5] depict the personal encounters of Western travelers with the health care system and reflect the preferential treatment given sick foreigners.

;-p

Cheers,
Scott.
New So, Mike was privileged even as a youth! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New So, you know my own experiences better than I?
The point is they *did not know I was a foreigner* until after they'd treated me because *that* was the point at which my father told them and asked how a fee for treatment could be made. My father and I spoke Russian *only* when we went into the office. It wasn't until *after* I was treated that they knew I was a foreigner. That's when they panicked. If they'd known before treatment, I'd have probably been sent to (at least) the embassy. Being a local clinic, I doubt seriously the practitioner would have wanted to chance an international incident by treating a US citizen and having something go wrong.

So you can fsck-off telling me what my own experiences were and the reasons for them. No one better than I knows how well (and differently) U.S. citizens were treated in the Soviet Union than Soviets. We were the "Golden Children" everywhere we went and we'd been raised to reject that "special treatment" for ourselves. Which is why, in public, neither my brother nor I *ever* spoke a word of English and it is also why we wore our school uniforms almost everywhere we went because we knew our Western clothes would make us stand out. We intentionally *always* tried to pass for Soviet children. We were often successful, as we were the first and only time I was treated by Soviet clinicians.

Quoting some US government propaganda site and suggesting that trumps my own, real-life experiences is beneath you.
New Point is, you were a sample of one. That is all. :-)
New Okay, Twas not the thrust anyway. :0)
New Thanks for confirming
No system is worth anything that allows a situation where a child can be legally denied care based upon their parents ability to pay.

So a system that demonstrably leads to more people being covered on a per-capita basis than any time in the history of the country is worth nothing because there are still cases where care depends on ability to pay. Like I said, finances are your first and only criteria. Doesn't matter who actually gets (or doesn't get) care.
--

Drew
New You've got a strange definition of equality embedded in that statement.
New More words, please?
--

Drew
New Re: More words, please?
I'm saying, "Everyone should get treatment who needs it without regard to whether they can pay for it."

My position is that a system that treats people unequally is not a system worth having. You are arguing my position is ill advised. This suggests you don't care if some people go without care because unequal treatment with regard to healthcare is insufficient grounds to toss a system. IOW, some people are more equal than others and you're good with that.
New You don't seem to understand *your own* words
No system is worth anything that allows a situation where a child can be legally denied care based upon their parents ability to pay.

I'm saying that the ACA is better than what it replaced because more people receive care than before. It could be still better if more were covered, and without regard to what they could pay, but it's BETTER. That's the word that doesn't exist in your world. It's not up to your standards, so it shouldn't exist.
--

Drew
New Simpler summary of my view: An unequal system is not a defensible system.
New Do you prefer no system?
There will be a system, even if that system is anarchy. If you don't choose something else you are choosing anarchy. Is that defensible?
--

Drew
     The PPACA strikes my daughter. - (mmoffitt) - (67)
         Look through a longer lens. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             How do you understand US politics so well? - (drook) - (1)
                 You know how you don't know who David Davis is, or what he does? - (pwhysall)
         I did not have medical insurance until I was 45 lost it when I was 55, shrug -NT - (boxley)
         gotcher armband & jackboots right here - (rcareaga) - (44)
             Re: second, ... - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                 Point of order... - (Another Scott) - (42)
                     You're missing the point. - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                         it is *still legal* for healthcare providers to refuse to care - (boxley) - (1)
                             Providing healthcare? Yes. - (mmoffitt)
                         You're whining. - (Another Scott) - (31)
                             Serious question. - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                                 Serious answer - (drook) - (2)
                                     By "Pragmatists" you mean capitulators, right? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Canada's system started in a few provinces then went national. - (Another Scott)
                                 You didn't say "Single Payer". You said "Medicare for All" - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                     Re: What Medicare system are you advocating ... Yes. That one. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                         Our government isn't going to change unless people vote sensibly. Which means voting D. -NT - (Another Scott) - (24)
                                             The last D put private insurers in our system by law. How'd that help? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                                 "Put" isn't the word you're looking for there. -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                     Really? Private Insurers were in the system by federal law before? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                         Define "the system" that you're talking about for me. "Medicare Advantage" ring a bell? -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                             Part C is redundant coverage that could have been placed in part B. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 Shoulda woulda coulda. The law and the system has to deal with reality. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Action first, payment second - (drook) - (17)
                                                     Not at all. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                                                         What does "as a right" mean? - (drook) - (15)
                                                             In America, you get the healthcare you can pay for and nothing else. That's wrong. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                                                                 In Canada... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                     Well, there was one once. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                         Re: Well, there was one once. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                             So, Mike was privileged even as a youth! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                             So, you know my own experiences better than I? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                 Point is, you were a sample of one. That is all. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     Okay, Twas not the thrust anyway. :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Thanks for confirming - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     You've got a strange definition of equality embedded in that statement. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                         More words, please? -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                                             Re: More words, please? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                 You don't seem to understand *your own* words - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                     Simpler summary of my view: An unequal system is not a defensible system. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                         Do you prefer no system? - (drook)
                         Two things - (drook) - (6)
                             Re: (2) - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                 Read much? - (drook) - (4)
                                     Might depend on what "household" means here. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         They're covered - (drook)
                                         That's because ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             Didn't you say ... - (drook)
         So she would have been covered before the ACA? -NT - (malraux) - (13)
             24 by law, but some plans it would have been 26. Both with no restrictions on pre-existing. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                 OK, so you paid through the end of the month - (rcareaga) - (7)
                     I'd expect that attitude from a Hillary supporter. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         FIFY - (rcareaga) - (5)
                             But you *DID* get something. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 What part of "tangible terms" was unclear? -NT - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                     What part of "no tangible thing != nothing" is unclear? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         you are betting hundreds of dollars every month that you will get a dread disease. You lose monthly -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             I'm not so worried about myself. - (mmoffitt)
                 So.... - (malraux) - (3)
                     This bad, it had to be intentional. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Never ascribe to malice, etc. - (malraux) - (1)
                             Come on, nobody's that thick. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Could be worse - (dmcarls) - (1)
             Wow. Bibi got his, didn't he? Well done, Obama. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Yeah, Obama's horrible all right. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Touching. Nice to see he knows how to use a six year old. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Thanks for noticing.
184 ms