IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And now...
...just to ensure that the clown car keeps moving, the Tories are about to select a leader who was formerly an investment banker in The City.

A profession that is so well-loved amongst the electorate.
New You know why, don't you?
Because Labour are currently so fucked up they figure they can get away with it and still win.
--

Drew
New Theresa May?
She doesn't sound insane in this BBC Profile, and seems to have been in office long enough that people know her.

On her party's future: "(It is) nothing less than the patriotic duty of our party to unite and to govern in the best interests of the whole country. We need a bold, new positive vision for the future of our country - a country that works not for a privileged few but for every one of us." Says people want more than just a "Brexit PM" and has vowed to unify the Leave and Remain factions in the party.

Where she stands on Brexit: Backed Remain campaign but says vote to come out must be respected. "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public gave their verdict. There must be no attempts to remain inside the EU, no attempts to rejoin it through the back door and no second referendum." Mrs May also said there should be no general election before 2020 and no "emergency" Brexit budget - and that she would abandon the target of eliminating Britain's Budget deficit by the end of the decade - a day before the chancellor himself abandoned it.

When she would trigger Article 50: Would not push the button to take Britain out of the EU before the end of 2016, to give Britain time to "finalise" its negotiating stance.

Free movement policy: "It must be a priority to allow British companies to trade with the single market in goods and services but also to regain more control of the numbers of people who are coming here from Europe."

She has said the status of EU nationals living in the UK would form part of the forthcoming Brexit negotiations, refusing to guarantee that they will be allowed to remain, in contrast to her rivals.

She has also suggested migration could rise ahead of the UK's eventual exit from the EU but remains committed to the government's aim of getting net migration below 100,000 a year.

It sounds to me like she's trying to thread a needle with a ship's anchor chain, but she's trying.

I can't imagine that the EU is going to tolerate free-ish trade without free-ish movement of people. Something's got to give there. And I can't imagine that the EU is going to tolerate waiting until next year before beginning the process of throwing the UK out (if they continue to say that they're leaving). How? Dunno. But I'm sure Brussels will find a way to make it painful for Cameron and Farage, and the UK economy.

She's got a sizable lead at the moment.

Home Secretary Theresa May has won the first round of voting in the contest to replace David Cameron as the next Conservative leader and prime minister.

Mrs May, who began the race as the frontrunner, got 165 votes. Minister Andrea Leadsom came second with 66.

Michael Gove got 48 votes and Stephen Crabb 34. Liam Fox is eliminated from the race, coming last with 16 votes.

Party members will choose from the two backed by most Tory MPs, with the winner due to be named on 9 September.

Mrs May and Mr Crabb, the work and pensions secretary, campaigned for the UK to stay in the EU.

Mrs Leadsom, an energy minister, Mr Gove, the justice secretary, and Mr Fox, a former defence secretary, campaigned for Brexit.

The optics of the whole situation is weird:

"I ran to stay in the EU! I lost, but I'm the best person to lead our party going forward! I was on the side that said it would be a disaster to leave the EU, and it's looking to be a disaster, but we have to do it because people who were lied to about the consequences have spoken! I can unify us, even though our factions are diametrically opposed!!"

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Leadsom is the banker.
In run-up polling, she was doing very well.

Seems like that didn't translate into a result in the ballot.
New ALEC and the Koch Brothers like her.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/andrea-leadsom-tea-party

A controversial rightwing American lobbying group that denies climate change science and promotes gun ownership paid for the Tory prime ministerial hopeful Andrea Leadsom to fly to the United States to attend its conferences.

The American Legislative Exchange Council – Alec – is a neoconservative organisation with close links to members of the Tea Party movement. Championed by supporters of the free market, it has been attacked by critics for exerting a “powerful and undemocratic” influence on US politics.

It is part funded by the billionaire Koch brothers, David and Charles, whose empire spans mining, chemicals and finance. Leadsom’s links to the council will be scrutinised closely by those trying to gauge her political leanings.

In the US the council produces hundreds of putative bills that it seeks to have made into law by US legislators who attend its conferences, where they are treated to generous corporate hospitality at lavish cigar parties.

I'm sure you've got your own reasons over there to not want her to be PM, but ties to the Koch Brothers and ALEC should send up red flags and cause klaxons to sound....

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is so far from my world
... lavish cigar parties ...

Just ... why?
--

Drew
New Dupe - ignore
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/08/leadsom_thinks_websites_should_be_rated/

Journalists have been trawling her blog and other public writing and found a slew of policy positions that put her in the far right of UK politics, including: strong anti-gay positions on adoption and marriage; pro-money views in which she linked offshore mortgages to no more than buying a book from Amazon; no subsidies for renewable energy; and an apparent belief that criminality is developed in the first two years of a baby's life.

She has also faced criticism for embellishing her CV, claiming high-level roles in finance that she seemingly never held, suggesting God has spoken to her directly, and a number of controversies over her family's use of trusts and unusual financial donations.
Expand Edited by scoenye July 10, 2016, 11:12:51 PM EDT
New Wondering why?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/08/leadsom_thinks_websites_should_be_rated/

Journalists have been trawling her blog and other public writing and found a slew of policy positions that put her in the far right of UK politics, including: strong anti-gay positions on adoption and marriage; pro-money views in which she linked offshore mortgages to no more than buying a book from Amazon; no subsidies for renewable energy; and an apparent belief that criminality is developed in the first two years of a baby's life.

She has also faced criticism for embellishing her CV, claiming high-level roles in finance that she seemingly never held, suggesting God has spoken to her directly, and a number of controversies over her family's use of trusts and unusual financial donations.

Almost sounds like Barbara gave one up for adaption :-/
New I see. She's another Teabagger. :-( It's unfortunate they escaped the Americas...
New Leadsom withdrew. Big Sister May has it unless someone comes out of the woodwork.
New May will...
be the next PM.
Theresa May is set to become the UK's next prime minister after Andrea Leadsom pulled out of the contest to become Conservative Party leader.

The timing of the handover of power from David Cameron is currently being discussed, but could be within days.

Mrs May, 59, who backed staying in the EU, has been home secretary since 2010.
Peter was right to say it would happen.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     The Brexit crisis, explained by BuzzFeed - (malraux) - (15)
         And now... - (pwhysall) - (10)
             You know why, don't you? - (drook)
             Theresa May? - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Leadsom is the banker. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     ALEC and the Koch Brothers like her. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         This is so far from my world - (drook)
                         Dupe - ignore - (scoenye)
                         Wondering why? - (scoenye) - (3)
                             I see. She's another Teabagger. :-( It's unfortunate they escaped the Americas... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Leadsom withdrew. Big Sister May has it unless someone comes out of the woodwork. -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                                     May will... - (a6l6e6x)
         This link reads like the onion - (crazy) - (1)
             Re: This link reads like the onion - (pwhysall)
         A good summary except... - (warmachine) - (1)
             OT: Welcome back! Don't be a stranger. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

I'd probably enjoy it, actually.
128 ms