IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Can't say I'm surprised
I'm amazed it has taken this long for something serious to happen. That segment of the population in Belgium has been treated like shit since they first arrived to do the dirty work in the wake of WWII. Gen 1 lived with it, but as time has moved on nothing has improved.

Discrimination in housing and employment is barred but the laws are written such that it is impossible for the plaintiff to provide evidence. And even if the other side suffers from foot in mouth disease, nothing comes of it. The end result are de-facto ghettos like Molenbeek and Schaarbeek with zero outward mobility and extremely high levels of unemployment among Gen 3/4/5. Daesh didn't have to twist too many arms to find volunteers.

I'm not condoning or excusing yesterday in any way. The situation has to be dealt with, but if nothing changes at the societal level, they'll be playing Whack-a-Mole for a long time to come. Unfortunately, the cynic in me says that is exactly what the political faction in charge desires. (Charles Michel is the PM in name, but nothing moves without the say so of the Mayor of Antwerp, Bart "Das Fuhrerlein" De Wever. His lineage goes straight back to the German collaborators. Somewhere along the line, they decided it was more expedient to cross out "jew" next to "untermensch" and replace it with "musulman".)
New Thanks. It's a bad situation. I hope cooler heads prevail.
New Dittos!
That corroborates some of what I've read elsewhere. But, your comments are more explicit.

Three official languages for Belgium can't help either.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New That is not the half of it
The Germans are along for the ride this time. Unless you go to the East cantons, you will not hear a word of German out of anyone in official capacity. For the rest, it is a now almost absolute refusal to cooperate with the other side that is driving things (sounds familiar?). For some time, nothing moved without tit-for-tat compensation and now, things are almost completely stuck.

Brussels is a mostly French speaking blob squarely inside Flanders. Officially bilingual, on the ground it is hard to find enough qualified Flemish speakers to fill certain positions. That leaves both the local police force and the judiciary with big problems.

Brussels, the district, is perennially cash strapped due to the large contingent of impoverished residents. Flanders is the richest state, but there is a refusal to help out financially beyond what it is obliged to do. The nationalists are in charge and their biggest fear is the expansion of the French speaking "oil slick" beyond its current borders.

(The overall result of 50+ years of this is that Belgian governance structures most closely resemble a plate of spaghetti. The jurisdictional clusterfsck mentioned on the various news shows over the last week or so is also an outcome of this because Brussels is internally divided along language lines as well.)
New We should invade and that'd sort it out.
Some speak Flemish, some speak Dutch, some speak French, some speak German, but all those motherfuckers speak English. And then all these daft-arse factions could unite in hating the big bad Englishman.

Plus it'd only take a day or two. Belgium's only about the size of Yorkshire. We've kept the Tykes in line for a thousand years; Johnny Foreigner in La Belgique shouldn't pose a problem.
New A day or two?
You guys are slow...
New :-)!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New We'd have to teach you how to queue.
New Brolly's to instep?
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Reminds me of my last hotel breakfast in Brussels.
Two businessmen were having a conversation in English at an adjoining table. I glanced at them and was spotted doing so. They immediately switched to a Germanic language.

This is where you talk about the meaning of bilingual and polyglot and ask the question "What do you call a person who only speaks one language?" The answer is an American. :)

My Ukrainian, which never developed past a child's level, is extremely rusty.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
     Another slaughter of innocents in Brussels . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
         I've been thinking about this quite a bit. - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Another slaughter of innocents in Brussels . . . - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Statistics for the United States do not reflect the world. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Re: Women follow the money, so rich guys have plenty of wives - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Yeah, and others. It's bad enough here - even though . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Ok, how about some statistics for Belgium then. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     So Daesh isn't Islamic . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I don't hold Pat Robertson against the Quakers. YMMV. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             They're all equally contemptible. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             So you know their motivations better than they do themselves? - (CRConrad)
         Yes, all hail the Crusaders! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             I do not give a pass to any of the three "Revealed Religions". - (Andrew Grygus)
         Can't say I'm surprised - (scoenye) - (9)
             Thanks. It's a bad situation. I hope cooler heads prevail. -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Dittos! - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                     That is not the half of it - (scoenye) - (6)
                         We should invade and that'd sort it out. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                             A day or two? - (scoenye) - (3)
                                 :-)! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                 We'd have to teach you how to queue. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Brolly's to instep? -NT - (boxley)
                             Reminds me of my last hotel breakfast in Brussels. - (a6l6e6x)
         What ISIS really wants - (malraux) - (1)
             17,000 comments?? - (Another Scott)

Specifically, they will not save the ship and crew, they will not win a stack of quatloos, and they will especially not get to sleep
62 ms