IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New seen on the internets today
"This would be an excellent day for Justice Clarence Thomas to continue his tradition of just doing whatever Justice Scalia does."

I won't say that I'm glad Scalia is dead, although I think that in life he was a waste of perfectly good organic chemicals, but I'm quite pleased that he's no longer on the Supreme Court.

cordially,
New Yup.
It really is in bad taste to speak ill of the dead on the day of their death. That's a societal convention that is worth preserving.

But it's unquestionably a good thing that he is no longer serving on the SCOTUS.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seen further
"Let each person mourn Scalia's passing in his own way. Mine involves champagne."

cordially,
New :-)
Obama's remarks just now were very generous and appropriate.

But he also said that he would be submitting a nomination in time and that he expects the Senate to do their important Constitutional job and act on it, etc., etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That was speaking ill of Thomas ... and funny
--

Drew
New Not sure I agree
Scalia spent his professional life doing his damnedest to take away the rights, freedoms and happiness of huge numbers of people, based on nothing more than his own personal prejudices built on the third-hand ramblings of a medieval book about a bunch of bronze-age desert dwellers.

And if they didn't want it pointing out the minute he turned up his toes, his family could have at least tried to persuade him not to be such a massive arsehole.
New It's not hard to wait a day or so... ;-)
Though it may be tough for me to fully resist until he's in the ground, given the "it's a sad day" reporting on the news...

I haven't seen anything about scheduled arrangements. I'm reasonably sure he'll lie in state at the SCOTUS for a day before the funeral - that's the usual protocol, I think.

One complication is that we've got about 4" of snow on the ground and it's still falling, with freezing rain expected tonight. There may be a day or so of traffic issues before it starts melting on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: about scheduled arrangements
I'd contribute to a fund to build a large toilet bowl. It works for goldfish. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Justice Antonin Scalia died this morning in Texas. - (Another Scott) - (27)
         OK . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
             McConnell is saying no vote this year. Obama's sending a nomination up anyway. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                 nominate hillary, repo's would back that :-) -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                     No doubt they would . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         well how would he vote? Thomas lifting up his dessicated skeletal hand? - (boxley)
                     Nah, nominate Obama! - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                         Supposedly Michelle has vetoed Obama staying in DC, even if he wanted to... -NT - (Another Scott)
                         hasn't made his millions yet -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                             He made quite a few with his books. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 chump change, he isnt going back to his old house in chitown and retire -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Maybe. But he's much more likely to be in Chicago than DC. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         sure he does - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Why H4H? He does National Day of Service stuff every year. - (Another Scott)
                 There is also the chance of a recess appointment. - (malraux) - (5)
                     The chance looks microscopic to me. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         That's the thing though: - (malraux) - (1)
                             I'd be really surprised if he goes that route. I guess we'll find out soon enough. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     And don't we all regret he didn't take that chance. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         You're not surprised are you? - (mmoffitt)
         seen on the internets today - (rcareaga) - (7)
             Yup. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Seen further - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     :-) - (Another Scott)
                 That was speaking ill of Thomas ... and funny -NT - (drook)
                 Not sure I agree - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     It's not hard to wait a day or so... ;-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: about scheduled arrangements - (a6l6e6x)

What rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs.
191 ms