IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, I suppose all those Muslims drowning in the Med trying to get to Europe...
are part of a "fifth column". We need to kill them all now! Also send 200K ground troops for a new Crusade with an equal number of bible thumpers to do conversions of those not wanting to die. Blow up all the mosques not suitable for conversion to churches. Yeah, that will work!

I'm with Wade. Religion is only an excuse.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New There is actually a significant homegrown component
At least 3 were brothers born and raised in Brussels.

There is a huge susceptible reservoir in both countries. Structural unemployment among young men of Turkish/North African descent runs as high as 30%-50%. Xenophobia on the part of the natives is largely the cause.
New Yep, Europeans are clanish and integration of immigrants is a problem.
It's less so in the States, but it's true here as well. Left to their own devices people clump up with "their own kind". Hence you get China towns, "Little Italy", etc. Andrew talks about such areas near him all the time. First generation immigrants are especially prone to do this. Even in urban areas, churches are catalysts for this kind of effect.

Singapore is one place that as a public policy when it comes to housing, deliberately mixes up people. But, it's an benevolent authoritarian state.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Problem is, discrimination is protected
1st generation clumping is one thing, no escape for the 3rd/4th generation is something else altogether.

In Belgium, the legal environment is upside down compared to the US. You can't say racist things, but you can act, even if not officially. The burden of proof is on the target and it is near impossible to meet the bar. There is a catch-22 situation where the cops won't get off their duff without evidence and any evidence collected by a private individual is consider outside the law. This is why housing discrimination complaints usually end up in the round file.

Employment complaints are similar. A while back, Adecco got caught marking positions the equivalent of "slegs vir blankes". The only thing that ever came of it was a promise by Adecco to never ever do that again. Nothing was ever undertaken against the requesters. No one has ever checked up with Adecco.

Molenbeek, the town now in the news, has been left to rot for years. Even though it is one of the 19 that make up the Brussels agglomeration, it got no help dealing with the big city problems dumped on its doorstep.

The US news just mentioned certain governors will attempt to block the resettlement of Syrian refugees. That is actually pretty mild. ~ Three weeks ago, the mayor of Koksijde, a tourist trap on the coast about an hour from where I grew up, cooked up the idea that all refugees should be forced to wear visible markings on their clothing. (1. Where have I heard that one before? 2. Plenty of national level politicos thought that was a wonderful idea...)

(And just in case: this is not condoning/apologizing for/... what happened in Paris. I would just like to make clear that this should not have come as a surprise to anyone in office in Belgium and France. Unfortunately, given that the extreme right has been hovering a half a vote away from regaining national control in substantial parts of Europe, I don't foresee any sensible attempts at defusig the situation any time soon.)
New :-( Thanks for the post.
     Not a word here on Paris . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (40)
         It's not the religion. - (static) - (31)
             What religion has ever been anything but a political movement? -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Oh no, it's not Islam, not at all! - (Andrew Grygus) - (29)
                 kurds are not followers of islam? News to me -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     "Compared to the Unbeliever, the Kurd is a Muslim" - (Andrew Grygus)
                 It may not be. - (mmoffitt)
                 It's not religion. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                     You guys are talking like Daesh . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                         Daesh is in the news. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                             That's whataboutery. - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                 Good counterpoint. But... - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                     It is about us . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     EXACTLY - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Re: EXACTLY - (Another Scott)
                                     What are we going to do about it? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Kinda sorta like... - (Another Scott)
                                         And, one very important point. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     The turks don't seem to agree with you - (crazy) - (1)
                                         Too many football fans are jerks. Film at 11. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Hey! I gave up the Battle Flag, they can give up Islam. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     You think wrong. - (CRConrad)
                                 whataboutery, so you believe the earth is only 6 thousand years old? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Eh? - (pwhysall)
                     My amateur analysis - (drook) - (1)
                         That is an opinion I've also stated on this site. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 the meat of the matter - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Talk about a broad brush! - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Yes and no. - (static) - (4)
                     Excellent! Thanks very much for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Very good! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Gracias, Wade - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Waleed Aly is a very smart guy. - (static)
         Personally, ... - (Another Scott)
         So, I suppose all those Muslims drowning in the Med trying to get to Europe... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             There is actually a significant homegrown component - (scoenye) - (3)
                 Yep, Europeans are clanish and integration of immigrants is a problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Problem is, discrimination is protected - (scoenye) - (1)
                         :-( Thanks for the post. -NT - (Another Scott)
         not really muslims have been bombing paris since 1956 and france used to run syria - (boxley) - (1)
             France and Islam and recent history - (rcareaga)

Interesting recipe. I’ve always just used bananas.
75 ms