IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're picking a tiny hill to die on. Your choice, but think about it some more.
See Cyberherbalist's reply here.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New So translating your attitude
and that of others in this thread is:

"Install whatever software the recruiters say to onto your personal computer, install whatever software your employer says onto your personal computer, and if it screws up your machine they have no responsibility to help you fix the problem they caused."

I have an idea: why don't everyone in this thread who are employed send me money so I can buy a second PC, preferably a laptop with a built-in camera, and I can install whatever software everybody thinks I should? That way I can have my good machine protected from danger. That's called "putting your money where your mouth is". And I fully expect no one to do that because they gloss over my second paragraph above. I've been burned once by an employer; I'm not letting it happen again.

Oh, and don't forget my story from 1 1/2 years ago about when Partition Commander 8 fucked up my machine so badly I had to rebuild it from scratch. All because I was trying to shrink an extended partition so I could expand my C:\. When I called them for help they said the program was too old, they didn't support it, they wouldn't help, and it was all my fault for not upgrading 4 times to the current version 12.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New If you're trying to interview
And you won't provide a means to remotely talk to someone, you're only hurting yourself.

If it somehow messes up your machine (you are literally the only person I've heard complain about this, ever), then fix it. Again, you're supposed to be a technical person, comport yourself as one.

Real talk: if you can't manage to install and support a simple piece of software like Skype, then you might wish to reconsider your chosen field of work.

This is extremely common software used by millions of people. It's 2015. Deal with it.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New You want another machine?
Computers can crash for all sorts of reasons. You, as an IT professional, know that. You know the importance of a solid backup strategy and know there are tools to let you wipe a broken machine and get back up and running within an hour or less.

If you don't know of such tools, ask and someone here will offer recommendations. Then do it.

If you really feel that you need a 2nd PC for work-demanded things, let me know. I probably have one that is suitable.

But answer me this first:

Are you just making excuses out of resentment? Will your attitude change if you have another machine? Will you start to recognize that there are jobs out there for you, but your attitude and combativeness and excuses are preventing you from getting considered for them - not your technical skills?

Until you think long and hard about what we're telling you, and work on improving, hardware isn't going to fix anything.

(I'm serious about sending you a PC. I'll even throw in a laptop with a built-in web camera. They won't be state of the art, but they should do the job (people in India aren't running development tools on i7s with 256 GB of RAM...))

Let me know.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I use the cheapest laptop available from walmart $239 or less usually an hp
comes pre-loaded with skype camera etc. Invest in yourself.
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
     Just got bitched at by a dothead recruiter - (lincoln) - (53)
         got a camera on my laptop, it is covered and taped up -NT - (boxley)
         Pick your battles. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             this was for a telephone interview - (lincoln) - (11)
                 You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Re: You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (lincoln) - (9)
                         You're picking a tiny hill to die on. Your choice, but think about it some more. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             So translating your attitude - (lincoln) - (3)
                                 If you're trying to interview - (malraux)
                                 You want another machine? - (Another Scott)
                                 I use the cheapest laptop available from walmart $239 or less usually an hp - (boxley)
                         Re: You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (pwhysall)
                         You're not helping yourself getting your back up about this. - (hnick) - (1)
                             Well said. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I use Skype. - (static)
         Get both. - (pwhysall) - (38)
             Really? How? - (lincoln) - (37)
                 You're thinking as a "programmer", not a "developer" - (pwhysall) - (36)
                     If you are doing Agile (or abortions thereoff) - (boxley) - (35)
                         And releasing tons of buggy code, iteratively. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (33)
                             Re: I was doing all that years before - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 Re: I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (13)
                                     Re: I was doing all that years before - (malraux) - (5)
                                         Re: I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (4)
                                             Development is more than just the code - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 How often do you attend these meetings - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                     Stop right there. - (pwhysall)
                                             Because being a developer requires communication. - (malraux)
                                     Oh, I'm pretty sure - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         I would never hire you - (lincoln) - (4)
                                             Re: I would never hire you - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 Amen to that. - (malraux) - (2)
                                                     same in my current shop, I can train anyone to do this - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Yep. -NT - (malraux)
                                     several places I have worked at required me to supply my laptop - (boxley)
                                 I am amazed it took this long into the thread - (crazy) - (17)
                                     It went over my head. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Nope, it's pretty offensive. -NT - (malraux)
                                         Christ! Me, too. Completely missed it. Thought it was a reference to "dot Net" -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     "This long into the thread" - (malraux)
                                     The "dothead" escaped me - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                         Makes sense - (crazy) - (11)
                                             Either that or ... - (drook) - (10)
                                                 There was a band that took their name from it - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     What's their point? - (drook) - (2)
                                                         Dunno, tbh. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                         Re: Does Sri Lanka have some great reputation? - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 I've heard this one, too. - (mmoffitt)
                                                 It is nowadays, and his name is Apu. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     What a strange thread to reappear in... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         It has its own logic. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                             A quite Jungian synchronicity, too - (Ashton)
                                                         Re: Howdy, stranger! - (a6l6e6x)

i only type in lowercase because i hate capitalism.
146 ms