IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New static routing is always the best way to go for smaller configurations
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Static Routing seems to require using the LAN or WAN ports. :-(
So, that won't work here, as I want to do things wirelessly.

But I got it fixed, finally! Woot!

The magic setting on the $23 boxes is to use "Universal Repeater" mode in the Wireless settings. Turning that on, clicking the Survey button, selecting the MAC of the C9 router's 2.4 GHz radio, and clicking Save takes care of the problem. I just had to do that 3 times, for the 3 cheap WAP boxes, and I'm done.

Our printers work again. Yay!

Our WiFi connections to our laptops still work. Yay!

Running arp -a > 151008-arp-a.txt shows everything I expect on our home network in that text file.

(Out of curiosity, I just looked at the manual for the TP-Link Archer C5 v2 (the client WAPs tried earlier in this thread) to see if there's a "Universal Repeater" mode or equivalent. There doesn't seem to be. So it looks like the WA801ND boxes (with an Ethernet switch) is the way to do "wireless bridging" with the C9 router).

Thanks for your help, Box. I appreciate it.

I hope this helps someone else out there. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is happy to get his weekend back!)
New hmmm, not at home but think I can assign static ip to mac addys on the wireless
will check next week when I get up there. in any case glad your are SOLVED!
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Woot!
It has been a long haul for you.

Perseverence pays off!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     TP-Link Archer C9 Dual Band Wireless AC Router, and other things. - (Another Scott) - (17)
         Good show! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         TP-Link Archer C5 Dual Band Wireless AC Router as Wireless Bridge. - (Another Scott) - (15)
             Something weird is going on. Can't do multiple WDS devices with C5s? - (Another Scott) - (14)
                 can you setup the devices as routers instead of bridges? - (boxley) - (13)
                     Hmm... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                         No joy. Going to try some dedicated bridge boxes. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             Question? - (hnick) - (1)
                                 Sorry - too much Shorthand. - (Another Scott)
                             not fer nutton but pro wire folks charge about $50 per drop - (boxley) - (3)
                                 That's assuming they can reach the relevant places. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     win the lottery heave all electronics into the bay - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Yup. We'd probably travel and live out of a couple of suitcases and maybe a trunk. - (Another Scott)
                             Of course, that didn't solve the problem. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 static routing is always the best way to go for smaller configurations -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Static Routing seems to require using the LAN or WAN ports. :-( - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         hmmm, not at home but think I can assign static ip to mac addys on the wireless - (boxley)
                                         Woot! - (a6l6e6x)

Sure, it's theoretically possible, but who the hell would actually do such a thing?
54 ms