IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't know about 2K, but XP has been good
One of my clients bought a handful of Dell refurbs (don't know exactly what model at the moment (I'm behind in my paperwork), but 4400 comes to mind). Two came with Me, two with XP Home and one with XP Pro. The Me ones slowed to an unusable crawl within 2 weeks, and the XP Home ones wouldn't work on the network, so they're all loaded off that XP Pro CD (no registration required from the Dell CD). Installation was totally smooth.

A "walk in" client brought a Dell he said was about one year old because Me had become to slow to use and had compatibility problems - and there were viruses. He brought me an XP Home upgrade. It went on smooth as well, though I think I did have to get a driver for one component (won't know for sure until I unbury the paperwork).

Sheesh! the W32/Klez.H Worm nightmares have left my paperwork behinder than it already was.

Speaking of The Klez, I think nearly every Windows PC in the world now has it now. The only uninfected one I've found in the last two weeks hadn't been used for months. "Dude, you've go the Klez"

Found dozens of Klez infected files on my work computer, but it doesn't seem to run well under OS/2.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New XP Pro, seconded
My brother is able to run his gaming apps through it, Everquest (Evercrack?) runs great for a long time.

I imagine that compatability tab in XP can be used to fool Autodesk into thinking it is running on NT 4.0 or W2K.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     Replace Win-MErde on a Dell w/ W2K to run 3-D Max ?? - (Ashton) - (14)
         I'd approach it this way. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Muchas gracias. - (Ashton)
         Don't know about 2K, but XP has been good - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             XP Pro, seconded - (orion)
         Thanks for comments, all. - (Ashton) - (8)
             Nah . . 2 steps to go yet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                 Solution! for the noise and the heat - - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Condensation 'll rot your traces. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Bah - just buy it ready-built, with the fridge built-in: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         How dare they steal my idea.. in advance! - (Ashton) - (2)
                             The DIY approach: - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Sub-culture indeed! - (Ashton)
                     BTW: Shouldn't this thread be moved, now... - (CRConrad)
         Fools Rush In - a continuing saga of IT Wonderfulness - (Ashton)

And damn, but I wanted to get involved with a land war in Asia.
39 ms