IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Noticeboard" ... wassup with that? now that y'all have seen a bunch.
Yeah.. last kid on the block unMavericky, but not for long.
About to sanitize, Maverickate, de-dust and clean the tuples of the iMac; make bootable a spare WD Passport HD (given the d/l Only! OS-distro tactics of AppleSoft in its new-MBA Clothes.)

Just prepping the jelloware for doubtless Exciting! New! Featurez, while noting the now daily Messages from the Ghost of Jobs: appearing only in Console, via S-Leopard.
I still don't much like the idea of $$Corporate inserting into the bloody-O.S. !! its assumed prerogative to demand my attention--even without yet knowing Why??--unclear if I should disable the sucker.
This chatter:

10/27/14 7:24:23 PM c-98-207-228-146 Noticeboard[2323] Noticeboard Noticeboard: Launched, starting NoticeboardUpdateOperation
10/27/14 7:24:23 PM c-98-207-228-146 Noticeboard[2323] Noticeboard Noticeboard: NoticeboardUpdateOperation finished with notification to show: (null)
10/27/14 7:24:23 PM c-98-207-228-146 Noticeboard[2323] Noticeboard Noticeboard: No notification to show. Terminating.

Anyone know its raison d'etre (Corp-speak and actually?) It may be more benign than I imagine, easily. But.. you know: it's a bad omen unless mainly used for such emergencies as: when the Russians start seriously finding buffer overflows.

Lastly, it would be stupid to elide the New Featurez via Repo-grade determined iggerance. Is the (doubtless Intro-tour) complete-enough or do I need to spring for another Missing Manual to see the +/-s? Having the S-L one, I found I rarely needed to scan it--after all, I run no serious computing Apps... so far. But Mavericks is 3 Upgrades along; I could very well miss something useful, from in-between.

Appreciations for any enlightenment.. I gather there aren't any real Gotcha!s or all would have heard.
Still.. Love It: Nearing 6 years with no backup machine! ... besides that Java glitch, easily squished, this 9-month 'used' iMac has missed nary a beat.
(Time Machine, integrated so unbelievably! flawlessly, is alone worth the price--I'd bet that many Doze users finally flipped for recognizing its significance, too.)
New Dunno. Save a tree.
I almost never use the Mac Console, so that's new to me.

I would save the money and not get another book. Changes from the cats to Mavericks aren't that big to the user. Stuff under the hood that has changed probably won't be talked about in the book to any great extent. Google is your friend, of course. :-)

Maybe read Ars or similar to get their take before going to Yosemite (if you're thinking about it). Some say that SL was "the last good version of OS X" and the like, but you know how some people are....

Ars on Mavericks.

Ars on Yosemite.

If you use Numbers and Pages and so forth a lot, take note of comments about some of them breaking with Mavericks (I did notice updates of them for Yosemite in my Software Update list recently, so maybe those criticisms are obsolete now).

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks! The Ars essays.. exactly the overview to answer lots under-hood
and reveal the Ego-stratified Id at work in the new AppleSoft tribe. Sooo glad I missed the LIon-experiment (though I remain that outlier/no-cel type, who has no notion/experience of IOS's deemed-stellar attribs.)

Never mind the Facts in one regard: Cats Forever.. (almost) would have been been my dictat as CIEIO, but I may be a tiny-bit biased. That SL wallpaper was just bitchin (even though I replaced it with one of Sierra, atop the car, draped over windshield and looking Regal.)

Being all unaware of *Mavericks CA, but looking at Ars's speculations about inescapable OS X Style-Warz to come, does prompt a gulp
--one cockamamie Visionary in the Corp could really screw up retaining the lovely balance of Snow Leopard's relative-maximum. :-(
No point in fretting about what ya never Do get to Vote. On. Eh?

* Can Big Sur be far behind? How about Paradise CA? (followed by Purgatory, Nirvana and Maya?)

Again thanks for usual al punte refs: I can see some time well-spent ... poring over the nicely titled list below the prose.
New Upgrade and enjoy it.
No need to over-analyse this.

The usual preparations should be taken before an upgrade - clean up any apps you don't want, empty the bins, scrub temp files (OS X tends to copy everything, so having a clear-out can reduce the amount of time upgrading takes), run one last disk check to make sure everything's tickety-boo.

There's always YaBingle! for when something unusual happens.

And yeah, don't buy any more books. Those "missing manuals" are very good but they're really a bit excessive for non-intensive use. I can see them being very good references for educators.
New here ya go
1.) In Terminal enter:

open /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/No ticeboard.app

2.) Press return key
a popup shows, disable it.

apparently it calls home on a regular basis.
of course I got this info off of the internet so no degree of reliability
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New I've upfated to Yosemite.
It was mildly painful because of a WiFi connected printer issue. I have a Canon Pixma 860 printer and the existing or updated device driver failed to consistently connect to the printer. I updated to the latest Canon driver outside the usual Apple Software Update (now App Store in Yosemite) path and all is well. The Apple Support is still clueless about the latest device driver.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Hmmm.. have Pixma MP620B
Will, as usual let the obsolete drivers sort selves out. I don't Upgrade til forced, usually: always grateful for you canaries, lookin fer fire-damp in the mine shaft. :-0

Sorry to hear of Apple's disdain for adding drivers on er, UP-DATE! I thought they were smart. Nope: gettin greedy (and forgetful?)
New On Canon service: [Sorry so late re your glitch]
My 620B sat around for some time before I got tuit. Thought the install-steps a too-? lengthy process (even skipping the Wifi) but it completed all the tests and worked. Except scanner. Expected a round of delving. Naively called their service #. We went through some drills incl. latest driver set.

This was on their dime and a well informed tech. No joy.. until I raised Q re length of USB cable: ptr is located ~ 8' away. {Duh, says he, for not asking..) Turns out it needs to be Short for all the prestidigitations in scanner-mode! ergo 100% AOK, there.

In brief, given the time and patience, this reminded of my outstanding experience re [anothe division] my superbL-1A SLR (most accurate range-finder extant, then.) Canon thus far gets ***** in my brief experience. FWIW
New Thanks, All. Exactly what I wanted to know. IGM rocks, but we knew that.
     "Noticeboard" ... wassup with that? now that y'all have seen a bunch. - (Ashton) - (8)
         Dunno. Save a tree. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks! The Ars essays.. exactly the overview to answer lots under-hood - (Ashton)
         Upgrade and enjoy it. - (pwhysall)
         here ya go - (boxley)
         I've upfated to Yosemite. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Hmmm.. have Pixma MP620B - (Ashton)
             On Canon service: [Sorry so late re your glitch] - (Ashton)
         Thanks, All. Exactly what I wanted to know. IGM rocks, but we knew that. -NT - (Ashton)

Well as long as I don't breathe, there's always a chance that I won't need oxygen.
119 ms