IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This is your brain on narcissism: The truth about a disorder that nobody really understands
The term "narcissist" gets thrown around more and more often these days. But almost everyone's getting it wrong.

In Greco-Roman myth, Narcissus, a beautiful young man, catches sight of his reflection in a body of water and falls deeply in love with his own image. This is, of course, where we get the word “narcissism.”

What many in today’s culture overlook when tossing around the term “narcissism,” explains Jeffrey Kluger, author of “The Narcissist Next Door,” is that it is actually a clinical personality disorder affecting 1 to 3 percent of the population. Kluger’s book goes beyond cautionary tales of narcissism — like that of Narcissus — and explores how the disorder affects daily life, relationships, government, Hollywood, sports and elsewhere.

Salon spoke to Kluger about narcissism, group-thinking, how to spot a narcissist and why we still vote for them. This article has been edited for length and clarity.

The LBJ, Nixon examples should warn us about which Pols--if detected--should be sent to their rooms. With no mirrors. But as to bosses and similar unavoidables:

On the other hand, personality disorders like narcissism, paranoia, histrionic personality disorder and borderline personality disorders are what is called egosyntonic. You think you’re not narcissistic, you really are better. You’re not paranoid, there really are people who are after you. So until you get over that belief, until you can stop fighting on behalf of your disorder, you’re never going to get into a psychologist’s office in the first place.

And I also think that for a lot of narcissists, they only get there under duress, and when they get there they still believe that they are smarter than the shrink, and they’re only there because nobody understands them. And they fire the doctor very quickly and go on and continue to make a mess of their lives and the lives of the people around them. So, I agree with you that greater awareness of this as a clinical personality disorder is necessary. But I fear that no amount of banging narcissists over the head with evidence of their issues is going to make a difference, as opposed to someone with OCD or anxiety.

{{sigh}} Did we get some rilly-shitty DNA?
Damn I'm glad I'm Exceptional.
New But I AM smarter than the shrink
When he screamed at me:
What do these women see in you!?
I knew I had won. And then we spent most of the following sessions going over his issues with other patients and the goddamn internet it confirmed it.
New All of us Exceptionals are delusional (too)
..but it beats the Shit outta throwing in our lots with the deluded-demographics du jour.
In a trice.

(Bloody Leibniz was probably Right; each 'mind' is an entire separate-Universe.)
'Communication' becomes then--not the best--but the most popular illusion.

(But all must still remember: Hubris Kills.)
New I don't believe the "1 to 3 per cent" claim.
Narcissism must affect more of us than that. How else to explain Facebook?
New Clinical narcissism is a different thing.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New YMMV.
IMO, having a Facebook account and updating it regularly is diagnostic of clinical narcissism. If not clinical narcissism, at least pathological egocentrism.
New lol, no.

IMO, having a Facebook account and updating it regularly is diagnostic of clinical narcissism. If not clinical narcissism, at least pathological egocentrism.

This'd be in your informed medical opinion, yes? You are using words like "clinical" as if they mean something here, that's all.

Or is it just hyperbole for effect?

Facebook is a place like any other; it has your fambly in it, your friends. People who you hardly speak to, others with whom you shoot the shit daily.

Sure, there are the attention whores, the egocentrists, and whatnot, but that's just people for you.

New Hyperbole. ;0)
New I worked with one once.
Narcissistic personality disorder is a vasty different thing than standard human behavior.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New That's interesting.
Especially because you do bear in mind the differences that 'clinical' (tries to) set out.
Knew a woman in '70s; her nick was Drama Queen ... histrionics, emotional excesses, often of the reductio kind
--imputing oversimplified pop-psych. (She wasn't stupid, just her emotional thermometer was badly calibrated.)

But whether this derived from self-love or self-loathing? was never apparent (to moi, anyway.) It's often tragic
that psychology is such a pseudo-science, oft taken to be Authoritative. ('It' can get you jailed/or freed!
via clever-enough pseudo-lawyering, thus adding to the rampant earned-cynicism all about.

Humans rate a FAIL so often, for an inability to just tell the truth: I. Don't. Know.
(in very many cases of our anointed Deciders. cf. The Shogunate.) And way too-many White-coated ones.
New I asked bio for a diagnoses
She included NPD in the list.
When I argued she said "never mind, just fucking with you, too close and subjective".
But maybe, she wasn't.
     This is your brain on narcissism: The truth about a disorder that nobody really understands - (Ashton) - (10)
         But I AM smarter than the shrink - (crazy) - (1)
             All of us Exceptionals are delusional (too) - (Ashton)
         I don't believe the "1 to 3 per cent" claim. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Clinical narcissism is a different thing. -NT - (malraux) - (6)
                 YMMV. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     lol, no. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Hyperbole. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     I worked with one once. - (malraux) - (1)
                         That's interesting. - (Ashton)
                 I asked bio for a diagnoses - (crazy)

Should be pasted on all overpasses.
204 ms