IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Appletalk is dead
mostly. Although I guess some variant over TCP will be around for connecting to old LaserWriters. But Apple is into this other impromptu connectivity thing now.

You don't run this box to be AFP server - you run it to run the usual unix server stuff you need to run. Now if Oracle would just get off the dime and port their DBMS to it we'd be rockin.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:31:50 AM EDT
New Then....
Even more reason to have a PowerPC Linux installed... or at least A version of BSD... REAL BSD not thier gummed up version polluted with Darwin. Now granted Darwin is Cool, but as a "server" OS... it just ain't got it. Eye Candy for the Admin's Managers to oogle about. Nothing that can't be or hasn't been done with FREE packages as of right now.

Also, about Appletalk being dead... Yeah right. When Adobe, Quark and Macromedia abandone it... THAT is when it'll be dead.

SO just how many Graphics design departments have YOU supported lately??? Mine still have 7300s in production... ain't now way I can wrench them from the people using them. They just WILL NOT give em up. Not only that, but when they actually use AFP-over-TCP it really rocks.

Have tried OS X and it starts a choking at about 15 users mounting the apple volumes.

Now, Linux and Netatalk... Great gumption Batman... 100 student users with HEAVY classroom usage, transfer of 100s of GIGS an hour... no problem. Using LVM, reiserfs, netatalk, Kernel 2.4.18, GBit Intel E1000 NIC and SCSI arrays it just keeps a cranking. Funny how our 140 MACs (out of 2200 systems campus wide) account for over 2/3rds of our Disk Space total being used on enterprise systems. I guess it would be that streaming video editing, or the music compilation editing... etc...etc...etc...

Now, you'd actually run Oracle on that Box??? Wow! Production?? I mean REAL DATA... not some "project people are playin with" data. I mean Financials, er something close. And if you gonna do that... why not use RS6000s. They use PowerPC chips (G4's included, well not THE G4s, but the IBM RS6000 version of them). You can get upto (I believe) 64 of them in a single machine now... with UPTO 256GB of Memory... and Disk galore, real disk, like SSA, or FC, or u160 SCSI... Expansion slot galore too... if you run out ... buy another backplane... and keep going.

Well, I guess I really done NOW!!! ;-)

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New I don't support users
I write software.

I've run a shop with all dev tools, apps, and home directories nfs mounted from a server - NetInfo fixed it up so you walked up to any OS X machine, logged in and you were home.

OS 9 is dead (maybe not for you but it is for me). AppleTalk been dead long time now - using standard *nix nfs, ssh, whatever.

Don't like linux - ugly. Hard to manage. Prefer solaris. Most prefer OSX. Management tools are easy to use. Disk layout is more straightforward - more designed, not accreted over the years.

Database on that? Why not? Cheap. Easy. Start small. Scale up later if needed.

Looks fine to me.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:36:28 AM EDT
New But neither do I....
I only deal with the people that do. I support the lab engineers. And on the subject of environments... I have posted long and hard about integrated unix/linux/bsd/blahblah environments. I use remote X displays all the time. XDMCP is your friend.

As far as Linux being ugly, let's look at the libraries in Solaris. At least you can navigate the different versions in Linux. Solaris, hmmm, depending on what team worked on the specific libraries last is where they end up, Symlinks ALLLLL over the place... I call it Symlink HELL. OSX... I can see endusers liking it. One thing I don;t like about it... No real way to have remote desktops... on say an X-Terminal. The hamstrung Accelerated X is evident.

Just gonna shut up now.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
     Shock! It's the xServe! - (Meerkat) - (9)
         And the complaints have already started... - (tjsinclair) - (8)
             It is a good start - (orion) - (7)
                 Bah... Humbug.... - (folkert) - (6)
                     Appletalk security secrets - (orion) - (1)
                         Appletalk is only used for older versions - (tjsinclair)
                     Appletalk is dead - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Then.... - (folkert) - (2)
                             I don't support users - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 But neither do I.... - (folkert)

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
62 ms