IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't support users
I write software.

I've run a shop with all dev tools, apps, and home directories nfs mounted from a server - NetInfo fixed it up so you walked up to any OS X machine, logged in and you were home.

OS 9 is dead (maybe not for you but it is for me). AppleTalk been dead long time now - using standard *nix nfs, ssh, whatever.

Don't like linux - ugly. Hard to manage. Prefer solaris. Most prefer OSX. Management tools are easy to use. Disk layout is more straightforward - more designed, not accreted over the years.

Database on that? Why not? Cheap. Easy. Start small. Scale up later if needed.

Looks fine to me.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:36:28 AM EDT
New But neither do I....
I only deal with the people that do. I support the lab engineers. And on the subject of environments... I have posted long and hard about integrated unix/linux/bsd/blahblah environments. I use remote X displays all the time. XDMCP is your friend.

As far as Linux being ugly, let's look at the libraries in Solaris. At least you can navigate the different versions in Linux. Solaris, hmmm, depending on what team worked on the specific libraries last is where they end up, Symlinks ALLLLL over the place... I call it Symlink HELL. OSX... I can see endusers liking it. One thing I don;t like about it... No real way to have remote desktops... on say an X-Terminal. The hamstrung Accelerated X is evident.

Just gonna shut up now.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
     Shock! It's the xServe! - (Meerkat) - (9)
         And the complaints have already started... - (tjsinclair) - (8)
             It is a good start - (orion) - (7)
                 Bah... Humbug.... - (folkert) - (6)
                     Appletalk security secrets - (orion) - (1)
                         Appletalk is only used for older versions - (tjsinclair)
                     Appletalk is dead - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Then.... - (folkert) - (2)
                             I don't support users - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 But neither do I.... - (folkert)

I used to use rot-13, but I decided I needed something at least twice as strong. So now I use rot-26 to encode all of my transmissions.
47 ms