IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting linkies, thanks.
I don't recall reading that Heinlein story before. I'll have to add it to my pile of Things to Read...

Here's a 2012 Spiegel story about the German gold - http://www.spiegel.d...rve-a-864068.html

For quite some time now, Gauweiler has been pestering the government and the Bundesbank with questions concerning where and how the country's reserves are stored, and how often they are checked. He has submitted requests and commissioned reports on the topic.

Last week, Gauweiler celebrated his greatest triumph to date in his gold campaign, which has been a source of some amusement for many fellow German politicians: A secret report by the Federal Audit Office had been made public -- and it contained stern criticism of the German central bank in Frankfurt. The Bonn-based auditors urged a better inventory system, including quality checks.

This demand, which even the bank's inspectors saw as nothing more than routine, alarmed the Berlin political establishment. Indeed, the partially blacked-out report read like the prologue to an espionage thriller in which the stunned central bankers could end up standing in front of empty vaults in the US.

I'll bet The Illuminati took it.

(Sheesh.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hey.. I've been touting That Story for eons..
It's ending is.. well, it beats any of those expensive Car-Chase Action potboilers..
in my Infallible opinion on all matters of infotainment.

All here, in pdf: [from March 1952, yet.. had I only seen it then!]
http://www.scribd.co...ar-of-the-Jackpot

Besides, it's entertaining--who'd a thunk it could be also predictive re. the current dystopia?
New :-) Thanks.
New PS (and too..) There's one modrin-cliche-word, near the end
which you will instantly recognize; THIS may.. be its first usage? (in context), in that 1952 (pub.-written in '51) opus. See if you can find it. It's a short word..

Bon appetit.. pity that the scanner made so may gibberish passages; there may be a better one Out There.
I recently reread it: priceless deja-vu of '50s 'morality', as well as a decent aside on "statistics windows".
New Thanks again.
It's a good read. And very scary, the things that were going on then...

I can't be sure that I found the word you're alluding to. "He suddenly felt the need for Meade" was fun though. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hint: where he lauds the Russian astrophysicist, calls him
a g _ _ _ !!

;^>
New I completely missed that. Neat. Thanks.
New But, the OED says...
he wasn't first. ;-)

http://oook.info/oed/geek.html

Neat.

Cheers,
Scott.
New As I've maintained re the "quote" rituals, all along--
Nothing New under the Sun {{apropos in This context, eh?}}

ie.
Whatever we imagine We Just Thought-Up.. likely Has been said (even in Aramaic.)
I meant: 'geek' as applied to all those preemies who grokked sodiumethylmercurithiosalicylate ... as teens; many such in IT and .. ulp, Here!

Unclear if Heinlein's association with the word extended to lizard-biters or ... was focussed on Techno-geeks (as I surmise.)
Thus: just maybe an early-on appropriation of the genre --> the Specific, as techno-geek. Rest case.
New Makes sense. Thanks.
New Every time he says lemming
I respond with:
FU, you fell for Roy Disney's scam.

And then I keep reading.
New Uhoh
"a sporting rifle" was packed as part of the emergency supplies.
Must be brown, since if it was black, it would be an assault weapon.
New Sigh
Standard paternalistic misogynistic Heinlein.
Shut up and do as you're told. again and again.
He lived in the times, but I find it annoying.
At least he let her shoot someone.
If I gave it to my PWW to read he'd have no discomfort with it, which is something I'm trying to change.
This quote is a kicker:

Aside from mathematics, just two things worth doing kill a man and love woman. He had done both; he was rich

What an asshole. Oh well.

I'm scared to read "Stranger in a Strange Land" again, it'll probably annoy me.
Expand Edited by crazy April 12, 2013, 09:11:37 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy April 12, 2013, 09:42:12 AM EDT
New Share that view of Heinlein, of course..
But as I've opined before ... IMExperience, "technical people" like to believe ~` that, there's a simple algorithm for Every even in life
(including its creation, within our still infantile Knowledge of the Cosmos.)

Technicians have been amongst the most rabidly like-my-Gramma right-wing wackos.. noticed by me: early-on. fwiw

(Why should Heinlein be other-than--just a decent sci-fi writer? Confucius He Ain't. Bertie Russell has more meat--but isn't funny or terse.)
And shit, man: this was written in sleepy-1951! a year just before the Somnolent Eisenhower Years.
Go figure what the Murican zeitgeist WAS: before 0.001% had ever fucking Heard of zeitgeist.
I vas DERE, Charlie--and up-close: IT SUCKED (a bookshelf-worth of TMI I could spin.)
New Wondermark #914
http://wondermark.com/914/

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New black gun = assault weapon
the manufacturers disagree with you and Box.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New so when you paiint your penis black does it work different?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New you are so purposely missing the point
that you've made this topic a waste of my time. Your mind is welded shut and closed to the obvious. Your time will be better spent trying to convince millions of Americans that your definition of an assault weapon is the one, the only, the true definition.

Good luck.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New he sez as he rushes to the store for black paint
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New You need sound-effects for this micro-scale of doggerel
bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!! bang.. Bang.. BANG!!
New uncle Si?
     TOD: The End of Peak Oil - (Another Scott) - (23)
         'For a successful technology, reality must take precedence - (Ashton)
         PS: Peak Gold, anyone? - (Ashton) - (21)
             Interesting linkies, thanks. - (Another Scott) - (20)
                 Hey.. I've been touting That Story for eons.. - (Ashton) - (19)
                     :-) Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         PS (and too..) There's one modrin-cliche-word, near the end - (Ashton) - (6)
                             Thanks again. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Hint: where he lauds the Russian astrophysicist, calls him - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     I completely missed that. Neat. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         But, the OED says... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             As I've maintained re the "quote" rituals, all along-- - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Makes sense. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Every time he says lemming - (crazy) - (10)
                         Uhoh - (crazy) - (9)
                             Sigh - (crazy) - (2)
                                 Share that view of Heinlein, of course.. - (Ashton)
                                 Wondermark #914 - (Another Scott)
                             black gun = assault weapon - (lincoln) - (5)
                                 so when you paiint your penis black does it work different? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     you are so purposely missing the point - (lincoln) - (3)
                                         he sez as he rushes to the store for black paint -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             You need sound-effects for this micro-scale of doggerel - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 uncle Si? -NT - (boxley)

Colossal liquid insect.
107 ms